Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Because I'm happy here.

First of all, can I just say how encouraging and awesome so many of you have been to me on this whole weight loss thing? Because, you have. Thank you for that. Really.

So let's just back up. Me being overweight didn't happen just as a result of having a baby. In fact, not at all. I was much heavier than I should have been even around the time I got married, four years ago. And in fact, most of the way through college. I think I lived in a love-la-la land at that time. Honestly. I was very happy at the place I was in in life. I had a sweet guy in my life who was about to become my husband, who loved me for me. 

Pair the lovey-dovey part with stress. The stress of having a fairly lonely college experience for the most part, but being crazy-busy at the same time, working, going through student teaching, planning a wedding, trying to land a job so we would be 'secure' enough to get married, and all that 'fun' stuff. Well, I guess it led to stress eating. Hence, a chubby-me. And you know what? From what I can remember, I wasn't the least bit self conscious about it either. I had blinders on, I guess.

Before I got pregnant with my miscarried baby, or with Emeline, I was (please, hear me loud and clear) THIRTY-NINE pounds heavier than I am right now

So, you see, losing the pregnancy "weight" wasn't even half of my problem. In fact, it wasn't even a quarter of my problem. It was the stuff even before that. 

So when I get questioned (which happens often) about why I would want to work so hard to lose weight when I know we want more children, I always feel the need to explain all this. And that it was about getting myself healthy, something I wish I would have done prior to my first pregnancies if I'm being honest with myself. Hell, I wish I was the size I am now on my wedding day. Truth be told.

Having a wedding dress that now falls down on me isn't really something I'm proud of. Because I wish so badly that I could look back on my wedding photos and think that girl looked amazing, but I just don't. I kind of want to shake that girl for not losing 20lbs, because those pictures last forever. Gah. But I digress.

***

So back to the point. When I started actually "thinking" about losing the weight, I only had about 7lbs of pregnancy pounds to lose. I know some ladies like to count their weight loss from the day a baby was born, but that's just not how I work. Considering I didn't "do" much of anything to lose the 24lbs of baby weight that kind of just worked its way off naturally. 

I count my weight loss from the day I signed up for Weight Watchers (January 3rd, 2011) and made it my lifestyle for 8-9 months. Because during that time, I worked for it. And? I'm able to be so proud of that. I feel good about it. No, I feel great about it. 

A total of 45+lbs from that day in January.

My weight is now within the healthy range for a woman who is 5'7.

Heck.Yes.

The last two days I've been 1.6lbs away from my goal weight. Goal weight is a loose term around here. I let myself be happy in small victories. Each 10lbs I considered a new goal. But I am, finally, in the numbers where I think my body is content. My new resting place. My new healthy goal after each pregnancy from here on out. Where I should have started my pregnancy with Emeline to be the healthiest me.

I've been asked if getting pregnant again will bother me. Gaining the "weight back". The answer is...not really. It won't. Because it's so so different. I don't plan on even reaching the numbers on the scale that I was before Emeline. You see? So losing all this weight was crucial for me.

And being healthy enough to chase around my toddler-girl is totally worth all the hard work of the last nine months.

I'm there. I'm at my goal. Because I'm happy here. 1.6lbs away, or right where I'm at.

***

I know. No pictures? You're shocked. I'll try to get some final weight loss pictures up for tomorrow or later this afternoon.  **Weight loss pics updated here**

***

Thanks for all your encouragement!

22 comments:

  1. I am totally with you with the wedding-day pictures! Although I did lose about 10 lbs for our wedding, I was still unhealthy and over 15 lbs heavier than I am today. I should have worked harder then. But? Better late than never ;) Again, you have been such an inspiration throughout my weight loss journey and you look amazing. Congrats again Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY you!!!!

    I've been losing weight for 6 years (105 lbs so far), but you have truly been an inspiration. For some reason, I'd always had a mental block when it came to WW, but you truly inspired me to try it. And, it works! Granted, I've lost slower (16 lbs since the end of March), but I've lost.

    I still have about 30 lbs to go and I can't wait to be able to write a post like this. You've truly done an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girlfriend! You are the bomb! You have done so wonderful! You are setting such a wonderful example for your baby girl! Congrats to you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a recent follower of your blog. LOVE your blog btw! Congrats on your amazing transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing job! and all very nicely said... as usual. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously adore you!! And you are soooooo encouraging to me. For real. This week I've started cutting back on what I eat and really paying attention to what I consume. I already feel better and I'm hoping to FINALLY get back to where I feel good about myself. So, thank YOU for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go you!! This is just so wonderful. :) Looking back, you may not like what you see, but you're doing SO well. Either way, you're a beautiful person -- inside and out. And SUCH an inspiration. Just reading your blog and following WW has inspired me to lose my first 12 pounds!! Congrats again, Katie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on all your success! I'm in the same boat as you. Started my pregnancy over weight and after I had my daughter and the weight didn't magically dissapear I wanted to lose the weight before the next pregnancy. Not just he baby weight but the pre-baby weight too. So I re-joined WW (did it in college and lost a lot of weight but then stopped going and gained it all back). Many people have asked why I even bother if I'm just going to "get fat" again when I get pregnant. Nice, right? But the thought of starting another pregnancy even heavier than I was with the last one made me want to make a change. No time like the present right? Your story inspires me to keep at it. It's not easy with a small child. But worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post kate! good job clearing up any confusion, too on why you wanted to lose weight. just think about that super flat stomach you'll be starting with in your next pregnancy. haha!

    i love you so much and i'm so glad we've been able to do this together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't understand why people would question why you want to lose weight if you're going to have another baby. To me, being at a healthy ideal weight means your in better shape to handle your pregnancy....and delivery. I say, good job girlfriend! I can only hope I can back to a good weight before my next pregnancy...especially after having twins!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't understand people who question pre-preg weght loss, either...it's nice to have a strong, healthy body that can make (and deliver) a strong, healthy baby.

    Besides.

    I dare you to as ANY woman if she'd rather be 25 pounds overweight and THEN gain 25 preg pounds, or be a healthy weight and gain 25 baby pounds. Who in their right mind would choose the first one???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to you! I've been inspired by your weight loss journey. I had a baby boy in May and started weight watchers this summer in an effort to lose my baby weight. I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy because the only thing that kept me from throwing up(I was nauseous all day, every day) from week 6 until the day I delivered was if I was snacking.

    I hope that I will be able to be as successful as you are! Do you think you will stay on weight watchers now that you have attained your goal weight?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, Katie! You and your sister are such an inspiration... Every time you update on your journey it makes me want to make healthier choices. Job well done!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having gone through this before myself (not at all pregnancy related) I have to say just one more time SO SO PROUD OF YOU!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to you!!!! I've been reading your blog for a while and your weight loss story is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are awesome. You have worked so hard voer the past months and it shows! you even have inspired me to re-join ww! congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you do WW online or go to them? I don't have time to go to them, but I don't want to waste my money on the online system if it isn't the greatest....thoughts? Also did you use their app?

    ReplyDelete
  18. So inspiring, thanks for sharing. The before and after photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome, Katie! I applaud you for reaching a weight in which you are healthy and comfortable! Having said that, I hope this won't be the end of your "weight" posts. I find each and everyone very encouraging! And although your weight "loss" journey is finished, I hope you will keep us readers along for the "maintenance" journey. I am on my losing journey now and as hard as it is some days, I fear keeping it off will be even harder. Maybe that's just me?
    Beautiful before and after pictures- amazing results girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a motivating post. Congrats on your transformation...Hoot Hoot. = )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! You are such an inspiration!! I'm just beginning my weight loss journey. I love your success story. And you look great!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I gained the happy weight! The nurse at school reminded me that I was thinner when I started at the school 6 years ago, but after I met my husband I got happy and put on weight. I too wish I had been where I'm at today on my wedding day, but I had lost weight before the wedding and had my dress taken in quite a bit. I'm not completely unhappy with how I looked in them, but I do sometimes wish I had been a bit thinner. I'll never be as thin as I was my first year of teaching and before, but I'm happy where I'm at now.

    ReplyDelete