Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Gullible Fool

I wasn't on top of my "A-game" today. I just hadn't taken the time to realize what would be coming of this day. I wasn't prepared.


At 9:10am when my first class of 4th graders walked in, I was standing by the door greeting them. One boy, who tends to be the outspoken one put his finger right onto my cheek and said, "Ewww, look at that ZIT!!!"

I grabbed my cheek and fiercely covered it and shrieked, "WHERE?!?!?!"

Within seconds, he blurts out, "APRIL FOOLS!"

And this is where it all started. You would think it would have changed my mindset for the day, but no such luck. I fell for e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. These kids (all of them!) are sneaky little boogers.

~~~

I was walking around in my classroom and a student said to me, "Oh no! Your shoe is untied!"

Quickly and frantically, I looked down because oh-no-my-shoe-was-untied! I hear, "April Fools!"

I was wearing flats. [feeling like a total idiot by now]

Slick.
~~~

In between classes I was waiting for the kids to come, and was leaning out by the door. Other students were in the hall and one said, "Mrs. B, watch out! There's a spider right behind you!"

I jjjuuuuummmmppped so fast and turned around to check the wall, only to hear those dreaded two words again.

Are you kidding me?!?! I am so gullible. I began to feel like my mother (whom I love to death, but man is she gullible)

Certainly I would now know if any more 'jokes' were coming my way. I was on my A-game now.

My sweet little red-headed 1st grader with the cutest wittle lisp ever came up to me and said, "I'm moving to Idaho, and I'm leaving tomorrow." [looking back on this now, I should have KNOWN with "Idaho", who the heck moves to Idaho?! But gosh, he was so believable.]

I said, "Aww, that's sad, buddy. Well, let's get your art stuff from the closet so you can take it with you." [You also must know that students just up and moving is a VERY common thing in our district]

He goes, "I'm just kidding, April Fools!!"
~~~~

I had it. How could 7, 8, 9 year olds pull one over on me that easily?! ALL DAY, at that.

My last class was cleaning up and I told them they needed to get very quiet for a special announcement from me at the end. I could have heard a pin drop. I put on my serious face, and I said the following:

"Guys, I have something very important to tell you. This is going to be my last day as your teacher, because I am moving up to the high school. [The looks on their faces, ah, priceless]. I do have to tell you that I know who your replacement art teacher will be. Unfortunately, she is reeeeallly, reallllly old, and very mean. But, at least she lets you use crayons. She told me she does not let her students use all the fun things we use in class, like paint, oil pastels, and glue. Just crayons. But, don't worry...you'll still have a good time.....and....I also have to tell you that---
APRIL FOOLS!"

There were shrieks and shrills and laughing---and one girl proclaimed, "Oh thank God because I was about to cry myself to sleep tonight!"

The stories of the classroom teachers and their jokes on the kids today were unbareably FUNNY. It was just a funny-kind-of-day. I still can't believe how terribly gullible I was. But, next year-I'm gonna have my game face on and have a very planned out joke for each class. This I swear.

Well, I must go. As I was typing this entry my puppy pooped all over my carpet and did a dance in it. Now, I'll be spending the next hour spraying Resolve and scrubbing away to get the stains out.

April Fools.

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!!

    i believed you about mac! haha!!! dangit!!!

    that gullible thing must run in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. I was never brave enough to play April Fool's pranks on my teachers.

    ReplyDelete