Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Concert Etiquette...not so much.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, my dear man bought us tickets to the Jason Mraz concert last night in Philly. In the end, we had a really good time. I'll admit, though...it started out rough.

The weather is what started it all. The sky was FILLED with lightening with lots of thunder, the sky was black and the rain...oh that dreaded rain. Did I mention this was an outdoor concert? Umm...yea.

So, as we're walking in to give them our tickets, Declan's trying to hold the umbrella so it's covering me (because I was quick to snap at him if it wasn't! sorry babe), and also trying not to knock out the person in front or behind us with the thing. As we're walking in so close together (siamese twins style), he unknowlingly stepped on the back of my flip flop causing it to pop out of the hole and break. My instant reaction was embarrassing and will not be repeated here today. Or ever. I picked up my shoe, walked barefoot to the side, out of the way, and mended my sandal. In the process of mending, I put that wet, sloshy flip flop up to my adorable new pink Jason Mraz tee, and proceeded to get mud all over my brand new shirt. Fail.

I was slightly on the verge of tears. Frustrated. Overwhelmed by the people. The lightening. The rain. My shoe. Ugh. Trying to keep in mind this is part of our anniversary celebration, I tried to put a smile on my face (and wasn't super successful at it), and in we went.

We both had full bladders from the orange soda my grandmom forced us (lovingly) to drink and
decided to make a stop at the porta-potties before the show began. We agreed to each stand outside the stall while the other did their business, and held the umbrella/purses/camera, etc. He was two feet away from the stall but directly in front of it. I went first. As soon as I shut the door, did a little wipe down (those things are nasty), unzipped and pulled down the jeans, this stupid girl pulls the door open in a rush and quickly goes "Oh *$@#! SORRY! I'm so sorry!" Meanwhile, I'm there. With my bakery exposed to her. Amazing. I heard Declan try to stop her, "Someone's in there!!" But, she swooped in so quickly it all happened so fast. At that point, I was steaming mad. I gave Declan a hard time about 'watching my stall', and "oh my gosh you let that girl see me naked!" Again, I realized I was overreacting and what's the liklihood I'll ever see that chick again, it happened so quick, and meh...I'll forgive him. Besides, I wouldn't have even been there if he hadn't been thoughtful enough to get me the tickets to begin with, right?

The sky closed up. The clouds rolled away. The most beautiful sunset came through. The humidity, though? That was still there. This isn't a utopia, people. Besides, this is East Coast, we know humidity.

We found our spot. We gave ourselves breathing room around us, and we took our stance. Yes, all you concert goers know about the stance. But then, it happens. The music starts, and everyone gets excited...then all the sudden you start feeling the girl behind you so close to you that you swear you can feel her boobs on your back. Oh my gosh, I have to breathe, or else I'll freak out. Her long curly, out of control, frizzed out hair (humidity, people) was touching me. If I move up, I'll be eating someone else's hair, and while I enjoy the smell of Herbal Essence, I don't enjoy the taste. So, I remain strong, I keep my stance. A few (like 8) girls come by...all linked arm in arm...trying to finagle their way up closer to the front when there is clearly no room. As they literally squuuueeeeze by you, you throw an elbow out there "oh, excuse me" (pretending to be polite), but really, meaning it as a jab to their side for invading your bubble. A few minutes later, the people right next to you (shoulder to shoulder) begin to smoke. You're kidding me. They blow it up toward the sky (thinking they're being polite and all), but then it comes right back down smacking you in the face like a brick wall of lung cancer. Oh, and then there's the drunk girl...who comes stumbling up from the back, copping a feel on every boy and man alike as she makes her way back to her 'spot'. She carressed my husbands arm and I gave her the look of death. She pinched the boy in front of me's butt. I did laugh at that, I admit. Then there was a group of people who again, do the whole linked-arm-I'm just gonna squeeze by move...but then, they stop. THEY STOPPED. Where did they stop? Right smack in front of us, where there was already little to no breathing room at that. The tallest girl made her pit stop right in front of Declan's head. Err...permanently.

I have been to many concerts, and the older I get (I'm only 24), the more annoyed I get. There's no such thing as concert etiquette....no such a friggin thing. But gosh, darn it, I wish there was. (I'd be the one handing out that manual at every concert the way the Gideon's hand out the Bible's on college campuses. )

Once the crowd seemed to settle down a bit and everyone found their places...I was able to enjoy the music linked arm in arm with my hubby singing along to our favorite songs. I even snuck in a couple 'thank you' kisses, because, it was a great gift.

It's moments like last night when I realize how old and uncool I am. Or, maybe I just don't find smooshing my boobs into someone else's back while jumping up and down and clapping to be cool.

Hey, it's all relative, right?

Needless to say, we had a fun time and do enjoy our concerts from time to time.

***

Here's a video of him singing "I'm Yours"...excuse the poor quality in the beginning, I was also concert calling my brother at the same time :) It's definitely worth a listen.


video

17 comments:

  1. i have tears in my eyes! first from your hilarious re-telling of the horrible-turned-good-night then from the video! i walked into that song at the wedding so I love it! I'm super jealous you got to go to the concert but not so jealous of the boobs-in-your-back fiasco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100% there is no ettiquette! And some concerts I expect because well it that kind of concert but I had a rough start at both maroon 5 and matchbox 20 both concerts I expected to be relatively mellow!! ANYWAYS glad things cleared up (literally) and you had fun! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post cracked me up! I am sorry your night started off so rough! Glad it got better once the concert started though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I love Jason Mraz!! Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog! I look forward to beginning following your blog as well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm completely with you on the concert thing! I love the music but I hate the annoying people who have no consideration of others. During the last concert I went to, there were several of those groups who tried to squeeze closer to the stage when there was clearly NO room. Ugh, so obnoxious! I guess I'm not cool either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I felt like I was right there going through the entire thing with you! I have a love/hate relationship with concerts. The outdoor bathroom story- I have so been there before and you have my sympathy! Loved the story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, so sorry everything didn't go as planned, but I'm sure it was still a great time! Your re-telling of the night cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post had me laughing so hard! My hubby and I just went to a concert and we had quite a few laughs about the "less than smart" people at concerts. Glad you finally got to enjoy yourselves and thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Oh my word!!! This was hilarious!! It brought back memories, too, b/c I used to go to concerts alll the time. Thanks for the laughs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky duck!!! I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been meaning to do this all week, but I have been reading through your blog, and I just wanted to send some love your way. You are just so beautiful. and your wonderful spirit shines through every little part of you!! I'm so glad we "met", and I really hope you guys find success in bringing a little spirit into your home to guide and love and share your wonderful heart with. I hope and pray for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there!

    Glad you found me :)

    LOVE your blog, and look forward to reading more.
    I'm following you now, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm SO glad your friend christina won the raffle! how cool that she found us from your blog! thanks for calling her...i emailed her, but didn't hear back yet, so i wasn't sure if i had the right address. anyhoo....if you hear back from her, can you shoot my cell # to her?? 484-467-8000.

    and p.s. i laughed out loud several times reading this post! hilarious retelling of the reality of concert going after the age of 21...too funny and oh so true :)
    glad you ended up having a good time...and some extra herbal essence friz mixed in :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Katie! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    This was made me laugh! I have not been to an outdoor concert in a long time, and you reminded me why I haven't!! I'm glad that you had a great time overall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad it's not just me. I thought I was getting OLD! The ONLY concert I've been to that hasn't been irritating and ridiculous was Sister Hazel when they played at Clemson & everyone just kinda camped out in their chairs.

    Although, freshman year, some girl was being ridiculously rude, and my roommate decided to stick her gum on the girl's coach bag. Ooops. Yeah, immature, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG...I adore your style of writing!! I know exactly what you are talking about too...I've been known to smack a few rude people at concerts.

    ReplyDelete