Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

First day happenings...

The first day is like the honeymoon phase of marriage. It's all wonderful and lovely, the kids are so well behaved and even slightly shy. The halls are pretty quiet as they're doing their best to 'walk on the silver line' (one of the odd things we in our building). It was so great to see the kids--and it seriously amazes me how TALL they get over the summer and how some of them have truly put on some pounds (afterall, they didn't have phys ed and probably snacked in front of their xbox all summer).

I was
so impressed when I woke up this morning and didn't have an inkling of anxiety, after all it is now my 3rd year of teaching. It felt just like any other day of school and I fell back into the routine as easily as I fell out of it all summer.

Don't be fooled by this beautiful post about my first day back, however. With all these nice words in the air...let's just recap a few of the kick-in-the-face moments of my day. Shall we?


-Walk into my room at 7:58am. Smell something funny...really funny. My stomach starts to turn. What the heck is that smell? Mold? Poop? WTH? I consult with a few teachers and ask for "second opinions". Instantly, they say-"Dead Rodent!" (as if this is something they left out of orientation last year!) They were freaking right. There was something dead in my ceiling. Luckily, a fan and a cool, breezy day (hallelujah) did the trick. Crisis averted (but not for rodent).

-Very.first.class.of.the.day. 4th Grade. Boy. Before I had even given them their seating arrangements. I hear some gagging. Look over. Hand covered in white'ish vomit in the air begging to go to the nurse. My TABLE--covered in vomit...dripping onto the floor. Grab a trashcan and send him and a friend to the nurse. Luckily, the janitor cleaned it up. I am not paid nearly enough to have that as part of my job description. It's a toss up--did boy get sick because of dead rodent smell..or nerves? One will never know. Kids grossed out the rest of class (as am I). I quietly snicker everytime a new class comes in and someone sits at that seat (muahaha). Cuz, come on...? It's FUNNY.

-Last class of the day. 1st grade boy. Yes, the first day of school can be overwhelming, and a tad boring. Yes, I had to give my blah blah speech of rules and things. Did I add humor? You freakin' bet I DID. But, apparently..it wasn't enough. Boy was asleep. So asleep that I couldn't even wake him. It took me 5 minutes. I was tugging at his arm, shaking him and had the rest of the class chanting with me to "wakkeee uppppp". When he finally did, he looked at ME like I was the bad guy. WTH!? This isn't pre-school anymore kiddo. There is no naptime. Art class is most CERTAINLY NOT your nap time. I told him next time he gets tired to stand up and do jumping jacks. He looked at me like I was insane.

Happy first day back to me. 179 kid-days left. Checking each day off...one at a time.

28 comments:

  1. Aww!! Well despite the few slightly humorous bumps in the road today, it sounds like a pretty swell first day! Here's to hoping the next 179 days are both vomit and expired rodent free! (Although I am looking forward to some future laugh-out-loud student stories!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...I love your stories!! I look forward to hearing more throughout the school year. Sorry about the dead rodent and puke though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol awww lil 1st grader falling asleep too cute. He just needs to adjust to his new schedule =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhh my. What a freaking adventure! Let's hope the rest of the days are not quite so eventful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! This is hysterical!!!! Makes me want to be a teacher. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy first day of school!!! :)

    P.S. Did you see who won POV? Such a sad day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AAAHHHH!! Someone puked in your first class??? I would have puked too. Ew. Ew, ew, ew!! And if your district is anything like mine, by next week everyone will be panicking about stupid swine flu. I've had several 1st graders wanting naps too. I wish we worked at the same school!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha...some of the stories I hear from teachers, I am just like...oh my GOSH are you serious?! The vomit one is one of those stories. Haha, I would totally giggle about the other kids sitting there too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! I'm a moron! I had NO idea that you could put your e-mail there! :) I think I fixed it now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got your comment...I know! I am all about staying germ-free, but we should be hand-washing-happy all the time. This silly flu is just another flu! More people have died from the vaccination than from the flu. I do admit that I am happy that people are being encouraged to stay home when they are sick though...but it should always be the rule!! Argh! I should have never started this topic! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahahah i am definitely looking forward to reading more of your teaching stories throughout the year. although for your sake i hope they do not involve dead rodents and vomit. gross!! one of the downsides of teaching i suppose... :[ although the rodent thing? definitely didn't see that one coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First grade is rough, when they get rid of nap time! Poor kid! Although, five minutes, huh...a lil suspect...although, I fell asleep once during Saturday school! My kids had to wake me up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh my gosh, I'm going to freak out with the first kid who gets sick in my class. That's my greatest fear in life, is people getting sick. I'm so worried! But I guess I'll just have to get through it.

    Thanks for your comment! It's so nice to hear reassurance. And wow... you and your hubby WERE young! Makes me feel like I have to get crackin' and find me a man! (But I'll wait as long as it takes... lol)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahhhh so its time to go back... gotta love the first day!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. bahaha thats so funny! my day was filled with lots of vomit too. i get paid to clean it up just not NEARLY enough! :) haha glad htat you survived!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! Aww..the sleeping kid is awesome. Happy 1st day!!! My mom's a teacher, too and she has some cuhrazy stories! I admire you, chica. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like your job is always entertaining! Can't wait to hear more funny stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back! I hope it's a great year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww. This made me remember teaching first grade. I miss the kiddos. Teaching adults English isn't nearly as eventful. I hope you keep telling cute stories!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word, what a day, haha!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds like there are many fun filled days ahead if all that happened on the first day...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh gosh.. I would DIE. Puke is probably the number one reason that I could not be a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh.my.gosh - God Bless you. I would have walked out with the smell. And then, the vomit. NO MA'AM. Home for this girl.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! What a first day! Here's hoping that the next days go rodent/vomit/sleeping free. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello I saw that you became a follower of me and I wanted to stop by and say thank you for the sweet comment. I am now a follower of you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are some crazy stories from your first day back. It must be fun being a teacher :) I hope they got rid of the rodent!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad you had a good first week back! That is so gross about the dead rodent! Yuck!!

    ReplyDelete