Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Riding in Car's with my Boy


Car rides were never something I liked growing up. We took a few very long trips to Tulsa, Oklahoma from Pennsylvania that pretty much threw me over the edge of my love for road trips. A van. All your siblings. Sometimes a dog. No comfy place to sleep. A million rest stops. Dirty toilets. The hours...oh the hours. Are we there yet? Yea. All of this pretty much made me into a hater of long car rides.

But then, it happened. Declan (who was my boyfriend at this time) decided he wanted to go to a specialty college for production in Florida. I was devastated. However, there was no way I was going to let him take that trip down there and move into his apartment all by himself. So, I put my hatred of long car rides aside, and hopped in his little neon for the long haul.

We had the best conversation. The greatest laughs. Lots of tearful moments (I was a mess that we would be separated by distance for the first time ever). Played some random traveling games. Made car repairs. Made McDonalds runs. Lots of dirty toilet breaks. All of it.

I treasured that time with him so much, that I had a newfound love for long car rides.

A series of misfortunate (or Godly!) events took place, and led us to pack Declan back up, and head home to Pennsylvania. He was not meant to go to that school, and literally one.thing.after.another made that decision clear as day. We had been in Florida for not even a full day when we made the decision to go back. Without any hesitation (and after a lunch stop at chick-fil-a) we were back on I95 making the long journey home again.

This car ride was so different. The conversations were much more geared towards our future. What next? What's my life path? What schools should I look at now? Should I work full time? When will we get married? Questions galoore. We had an open road ahead of us and hundreds of miles to discuss it...and I loved it. It was that drive that I really believe cemented our future together. We frequently joke and say, "We drove to Florida and back just to eat Chick-fil-a!", but it was truly more then that. We both know it.

Last night we did a middle of the night drive (9pm-3:30am) home from the Outer Banks. Just the two of us. We are seriously made for eachother. Car rides are peaceful. Encouraging. Relevant. Learning new things about eachother....and oddly...inspiring. We are eachother's co-pilot (oh gosh, I'm one of those corny girls now), and I love, love, love riding in cars with my boy.


17 comments:

  1. Road trips can be fun when you take advantage of the time forced together on the highway!! Glad you had a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...so sweet!! I love going on car ridess with my boy too. It started 3 weeks into our relationship when we drove to Maryland (from Michigan) for his cousin's wedding. Since then, we have taken weekend trips to Ohio, upper Michigan, Chicago...as well as longer trips to Maryland and North Carolina. :) Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. car rides have always been the perfect backdrop for all sorts of *serious* conversations in my life! whether it be between my husband i, or myself and my mom, there's just something about car rides that evokes deep thoughts and ponderings! um, and i love that you're his little "co-pilot" that's so stinkin' cute! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really cute. :) The picture made me laugh. :)

    That list on my blog is a list my friend Ryan made of the stuff she wants to see/do/accomplish in her life. She actually does a lot of stuff with love146, its really cool.
    This week Im putting up the ten things people want to do before they 'kick the bucket' :) If you have a list I'd love to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww! jorden and i LOVE our long trips together...but I pretty much love them with anyone. but I think that car rides bring out the deep stuff because you know no one can overhear you! :)

    love the picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute post! You two are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire you. If I spend more than 30 minutes in a car, not driving, I fall asleep. And of course, I don't like to drive my husband's truck, so I'm always a passenger. We don't share any bonding time in the car. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh don't worry about it! I just didnt want you being confused thinking I wrote that, haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love riding in cars with my boy too!! :) We too have the best conversations and we get goofy, and just enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that Florida trip! Brent went down too, right?

    Car rides are always so much better when you have your lovie!!! One time we were in Tennessee and got stuck in traffic for 4 hours, only to move 2 miles! I think I would have killed someone if I was with anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post totally made me so happy. I'm newly engaged to the guy I've loved since 15 (he's love me since 10!) and I also love talking in the car with my man. How great! Found you from Chatty Nicoley!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet! I love riding in cars and talking with my boy. You guys are so sweet! :)

    ps - I live in Tulsa :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww this was such a cute post!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously, alot can be learned on car rides :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post! Car rides do make for some good memories and that memory is one that will last a life time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! I like car rides depending on who's with me and whether or not I have to drive :D

    BTW, the necklace you asked about, I made based on another necklace I bought from ebay. It's called a harness necklace.

    ReplyDelete