Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I swear, I didn't make her cry.

It was non-stop. From the second she got into class.

In her cute little voice (that truly...is hard to understand with the speech issue), she raised her hand, "I'm the line-leader today".

I expressed [sincere, hehe] excitement that She.was.the.line.leader-WOOhoo.

I tried to start class.

She raised her hand again.

Dumb me-called on her.

"I'm the line-leader today."

[and here is where the annoyance factor kicked in]

"Yes sweetie, I understand. That's great. But, there is a right time and a wrong time to say things. You should tell me this at the END of class, when it matters. Right now, I'm trying to start Art Class."

I guess this started wearing on her.

During the art lesson, she was all_over_the_place. See, she is very young for her grade [1st], and it's sooo obvious.

She didn't listen to directions, took her sharpie (heck yes we use sharpies in 1st grade--I am COOL...and I happen to LOVE them), and drew some crazy thing on her paper. Didn't even remotely follow direction. Wrecking it. Completely.

I took her paper, moved it to the side table, put a new one in front of her all in sort of a huff. I admit--I was a little annoyed.

Well, then I saw it. Her face started turning a little red and her eyes got a little watery. I tried to lighten the situation up by saying, "Look a fresh new start! Let's put our listening ears on and do our best!" (all with a huge cheesy grin on my face)

...and then she said it.

None of my kids have ever muttered these words in my class.

".....I want my mommy!"

crap.

What did I do?! Will this child hate me? Did I ruin her art experience forever? Oh gosh--what if she runs home and tells her mother that I.Made.Her.Cry. OW. My heart.

Within seconds she moved on and brushed the tears away.

and fifteen minutes later she raised her hand...

"I'm the line-leader, today."

and it was all good. Not only that, but on the way out the door she said, "I love you."

Ohhh kids.



21 comments:

  1. gotta love kids... this is hilarious.

    i know that feeling though.. like you just ruined this kid and they are going to tell there mom what a horrible person you are. haha

    luckily, kids do tend to get over stuff pretty quick and then they love you again (especially younger kids!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids have a funny way of making you smile. Love it and love the way they can completely forget what happened 10 minutes ago. I wish I was able to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute story!! I love how quickly they forgive and continue to give that unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh kids! Isn't it crazy how they can change on you in seconds?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww. Seems like you have a little drama queen on your hand there, maybe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, how sweet! I'm always so afraid when the kids get upset that they'll hate me too. But those little ones are so quick to forget being upset! The love that pours out of them is so incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story is good for me: Every time I am jealous of elementary teachers, who I figure don't have to deal with the teen attitudes, I'll think of this.

    Bless your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I guess she won't be holding it against you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Times like that sure do through you for a loop, but 9 times out of 10 it's usually a good ending. Hopefully next time she's in your room, it goes much better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww.... how sweettttt!!!!!!!! They can be so annoying, but then they're so very sweet, especially when they tell you that they love you a few minutes after crying :-) I wish more of us were like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that little girl might possibly need more testing if she's speech-only. Just sayin. Those little ones are like aliens, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute! Glad she wasnt scarred forever! =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kids crack me up. It sounds like all was forgotten by the end of class. She was very excited to be the line-leader!

    I have kids at skating that can make me impatient at times, so I can understand where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha oh goodness!! I don't know how I would handle myself teaching! haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. ok I bought a really lovely bottle of wine today and was feeling all sophisticated sitting on my couch in my PJ's catching up on blogs and drinking my wine. That is until I read your post and proceeded to spit lovely wine all over my keyboard because I took a sip at the wrong time. He he this was hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohmygoodness.. This is why you're a teacher and I admire your profession so much! So cute, but man alive do you have patience.. The I want my mommy thing was hilarious, but if I'd been in that sitch, I would have totally flipped like "oh no...oh noooo! Crap crap crap!" haha.. I remember once I was baby sitting and the 5 year old was watching some movie. He said "what happened to the __." and I said "Well, it died and went to heaven.." (b/c it did. It was a disney movie). He said "What does die mean?" I thought "OHNO!" haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always love hearing all your funny stories about teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for posting this today. Just what I needed after a blah day at work! I used to always go home and ask Ryan the same thing, "Ry, do you have any horror stories from first grade (the grade I taught)." LOL It's funny that we are scared we are that ONE teacher they remember forever in a bad way. It is hard to keep your patience though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think she was high from the sharpie. Just a thought.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahaha i really thoroughly enjoyed this story. oooh man, they are so unpredictable!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. haha I don't know how you do it. Teachers are some seriously gifted people. I have no patience for that kind of stuff! So cute though..

    ReplyDelete