Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Finding the "colour" in life.

In college, I struggled majorly with studying in my room. In fact, it was virtually impossible for me. If I wanted to even ATTEMPT studying there, I first had to do a major clean of the entire place. Bed had to be made. Desk had to be spic-n-span. Clothes in my closet put away. You know. Is this because I'm a neat freak? Heck-to-the-no. Those who know me know that I am not a neat freak by any stretch of the imagination. But, I can't have many distractions while trying to do something such as study (normally for a huge, whammo, ginourmous art history exam).

So instead, I would head off to the local Border's book shop, plop myself down at a table in the Cafe--order a coffee, smoothie, or hot chocolate (whatever I was in the mood for that day). Spread out my books, notecards and pages upon pages of note-taking...and study. Or try to.

Were there distractions? Oh yes. Tons. There were times when I would drift off, but still be looking at my text book--and I'd find myself listening to the cell phone conversations of the person next to me. Honestly? It's not because I want too...but, it just happened. [Call it ADD...I'm aware. Totally.]

But all in all, my studying would last hours there...and for the most part, I really did leave with more knowledge then when I went in. I studied. For real yo.

I started a new grad class this week. I'm only five classes away from getting my Masters degree. Five. So, I'm trying to get them done pretty quickly nonetheless.

This particular course I'm in has a lot of reading (so not my taste). I reminisced my college days for a moment, and then quickly emailed my hubby this afternoon.

Here's the email. Legit. Word for word. Yes, I'm totally grammatically delusional (duh really? don't judge.)

"hey babes...
gotta question...

I have 65 pages to read in a really LAME psychology book tonight...and in college, whenever I had a lot to read I would go to a coffee shop and I would focus there...

but i was wondering...could we go to barnes and nobles tonight and sit in the cafe or something and I could read my books while you read yours?? i mean, whatever you want--magazines, or whatever...but then I could read, bring my laptop and answer this extremely involved question for class...and of course get coffee....from starbucks inside....

would you be up for that? after dinner? since phillies arent playing? I can cook beforehand."

~~



You can imagine my delight when he promptly replied:

"Sure Thing. I was thinking of doing something fun. Whats for dinner?"

So, after dinner, off we went.

And you know what?

I got my work done while sipping a Tall Hot Chocolate hold-some-of-the-chocolate with whipped cream on top. It reminded me of the good old days.

Except, this time I wasn't alone...and my love was sitting across from me reading graphic design magazines and saying things like, "It's so funny how British writers add "ou" to words such as "colour", and how they take out the "z" in words and replace it with an "s", like in "organise"."

I love him. I wouldn't change this place in my life for anything.

21 comments:

  1. :) I love sweet little stories like this!

    I also could NOT study in my room.. The internet was too much of a distraction.. Haha, I did my best studying in our lounge with headphones on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I could study anywhere as long as it's quiet. I can't stand the tv on...I listen to that and don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, check you two out!
    That is so cute!

    When I was at school, I had to study in complete silence!
    Also, everything had to be colour coded.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore sweet little stories like this. :) I'm glad you got all of your reading done AND had a wonderfully loving support system keeping you on track - right across the table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, that is so awesome that you’re that close to getting your matters!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet!! and congrats on being so close to your masters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story! You are almost finished! 5 more classes? That is really close!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two are SO cute together. I always had to have noise to study. That's my ADD coming into play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so sweet! I love it! I can't study for anything in my room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm catching up here...Hi. I've missed you. You look amazing!! I seriously COULD NOT be happier for you and the hubbs. It's awesome!!

    The story about studying was...adorable. You two are just the cutest couple!

    I hope the world smells less for you today!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love you and your hubby! This story was SO cute! Put a smile on my face.

    Congrats on being five classes away from your Master's degree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This little story - Awesome! I'm right there with you in life and I'm loving it. It's pretty perfect to be married to your bestie.
    I'm with ya... I can't even read a book i'm interested in at my house. I had to go to Starbucks yesterday - although I was by myself - to get some readin done. Just makes it much more fun with a coffee in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Y'all are so stinkin' cute! I am so happy to hear you had a wonderful evening together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww! This is adorable! Ya'll are a really cute couple... I loved studying at bookstores, too in law school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw! how fun. I'm in the "before" phase right now... junior year of college, and I don't get a speck of work done in my room! I've spent about $15 on coffee drinks alone this weekend but it's so worth it to sit in the "colourful" little coffee shop :)

    I can't wait for the day to have a hubby to share it with! hehe, you two are just the cutest :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh man tell me about it! haha that's something i REALLY struggle with. i tend to either go to coffee shops or sit at our church and study.. :) i get distracted everywhere...but i def. feel more productive when i'm not in my room!!

    You two are just adorable!!!! i want someone to be adorable with too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those kinds of evenings, where the hubs and I just "are," we're just "being." They are such blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is good to just get away to study. I always say I should...but then don't. And then I don't study. Yah for being almost done. I have quite a but ahead of me in grad school. boo! Also, do you have a black bow on your wedding dress in your header? SO PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm bad at blogging; realized you left me a sweet comment AGES ago! You are so precious! I did the same thing in college... too many distractions! esp the dorm room!! The aura of a coffee shop or book store is just more conducive to studying!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet! :)

    (I say Heck-to-the-no too! LOL Love it!)

    ReplyDelete