Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Trust me--you want my apple pie recipe.

I have a special Saturday treat for you lovelies.

As you know, I really don't cook all that well, nor do I really bake. However, there is one thing--that every year, my family requires me to bring to Thanksgiving Dinner, and that is my homemade apple pie.

I'm sorry, but store bought apple pie just doesn't cut it.

I'll admit, this isn't really my recipe, in fact--it's my roommate in college's grandmothers recipe (whoo--what a mouthful).

It's SO simple.

It's delicious.

So here it goes:

Pie Crust:

You can go one of two ways. You can buy the Betty Crocker mix thats all done for you, just add water. Or, you can make it like this [The real home-made way!]:

2 level cups All-Purpose Flour
1 level teaspoon salt
3/4 level cup Crisco All-Vegetable or Butter-flavored Shortenin
g
5 tablespoons cold water


Roll out, and put in a 9" pie pan (I use my pyrex glass pie thingy..)
I trim access around the edges, and then use my fingers to make a fancy ridge along the pie "crust". I'm cool like that.

Set aside, and you do not have to pre-bake.

The apple part:

6-7 large baking apples (I used granny smith this time, or a mix of whatever I have!), peel the apples, and then cut into 8-12 slices. (Just preference....)

Mix (with slices in large bowl):
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp. cinnamon

[When you mix it all up, coat all the apples--the moisture from the apples will almost make it liquid]

Put slices in the unbaked pie crust. [I sometimes lay them in a cute way--but, you can just pile them! They will shrink down, don't worry if its overflowing.]


For Topping:

Mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour
Sprinkle on top.
Cut 8 tbsp of butter into slices, and lay on top. [I never said it was healthy!]
Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Like so:

Bake 375 for 45 minutes to an hour...and it should look like this:


Serve with vanilla ice cream and warm the pie--you will have a mouthwatering masterpiece.

xoxo


14 comments:

  1. Um, I am walking, no running, to the kitchen now. I love me some apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe looks good, by the time I got to the second picture with the chunks of cinnamony/sugary butter I was sold!!!! I will definitely have to try this out sometime. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to HAVE to try this!!!!! thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! My mouth is already watering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't bake, at all, but I think I might be able to do this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh this looks delicious. My husband thanks you in advance for this recipe. He hearts apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMM! I'm definitely going to try this one at Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh yummmy!! I will definitly try this out soon! Looks amazing---thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can attest to this pie being absolutely delicious! Thanks for saving the last slice for Dad and I . Love you Katie!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this yesterday for my family Halloween dinner and it was a huge hit. We warmed it and served it with homemade whipped cream. YUMMY! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete