Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Winded and P.U.

So I'm dealing with a few (okay--more then a few) pregnancy-related issues right now. One of them being that when I do little tasks that normally, would be no big deal--I feel like I need to catch my breath. You would think I'm an 80 year old with emphysema. Okay, it's not that bad, and no I'm not "huffing and puffing" (out loud at least)--but yea...I feel more then slightly winded when doing minor tasks around the house.

What the heck.

Now, I realize there are reasons for this. Apparently my body has produced massive amounts more blood flow in early pregnancy, causing this shortness-of-breath phenomenon but seriously---I've got things to do and places to go. This just cannot be.

Today, while grabbing the last bag of groceries from the car (after chasing my dog around the yard who slipped out and ran 'free'...), I got this incredible bout of nausea. It completely overtook me. I walked up the stairs--and barely made it in time to the bathroom. Obviously, spewing my guts in the porcelain potty about...uhhh...5 or 6 times. [TMI? yes? I promise, it will only get worse.]

The answer is YES...I took my anti-nausea meds this morning. Obviously, my baby really wants to show me how healthy they are. "Hahaha Mom--I can beat out the Zofran. Suck on them apples." [said in a completely loving way, I'm sure of it.]

But come on!

Honestly.

I need a break.

Is that too much to ask?

Oh, and lets talk about my nose for a second. No, not about it's more plump shape (but thank God-I don't have a honker...could be worse), but about the smells. Oh the dreaded SMELLS.

People warn you, pregnancy magazines and websites tell you...YOU WILL SMELL EVERYTHING. But did I believe them? Did I trust that? Not really.

I learned the hard way.

Because...gahhh! The world stinks. Better yet...all those stupid smelly things that people THINK make the world smell better really throw my stomach into World War 3 making swallowing my lunch an enormous task. Scented candles, glade plug-ins, febreeze, ohhhhh my GOSH someone stop me now. Just typing it makes my tummy rumble in fear.

So please, lay off on the perfume. For the sake of all pregnant women that could encounter you. Or, you might end up with puke on your shoes.

Oh, and if you happen to encounter little old me gasping for breath while doing something as simple as tying my shoes--don't laugh. Or I may just use your purse as a barf bag.


23 comments:

  1. I totally relate to everything except the smells...I was so congested that I couldn't smell ANYTHING the whole first trimester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww-my friend was the exact same way in her first trimester. She was always getting sick and complaining about smells and out of breath-it was like she was a completely different person, but then she hit second tri and has been pretty much normal ever since. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor thing! :( Hope the 2nd trimester is much better for you!!! You're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh katie! I hope now that you are almost 12 weeks your pregnancy will start to get easier for you!!

    and by the way- i am really surprised i have yet to run into you and declan out since it seems all of our favorite places to eat are the exact same! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, doll!! I hope things start to get easier. This little guy/lady needs to ease up on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my coworkers at a past job warned me about the smell thing. She was preggo and was asking everyone to be mindful of their scents. Eek! I hope your nausea eases a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, girl.... for your sake, I hope it gets better!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, Katie…I’m so sorry that you haven’t been feeling well. I hope that the 2nd trimester is much better for you. I hope this passes for you very quickly. I’m scared to get pregnant after hearing stories like this! It is all worth it though :)

    P.S. That is so funny that we were at KOP the same night and that you went to Linvilla last weekend. We’re going to bump into each other one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My allergies were so bad during my pregnancy that my sense of smell was kind of normalized. And I hate to tell you but that out of breath thing will get worse when your belly gets bigger! :( Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww. The joys of pregnancy, huh? :\

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww you poor thing!

    I'm not from around Philly, though it is my fave city on the East Coast! But my hubs is a die hard fan so I found myself cheering them on too!=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You poor thing! I am sure things will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can totally relate! At 24 weeks, the smells have gotten a little better, but the smell of my dish soap still makes me want to vomit. And how about the smells of dry-erase markers? That's what did me in when I was teaching and pregnant with my first. Yucky! And I still can't catch my breath. It's crazy how our bodies react that way to all our crazy hormones! Glad your pregnancy is going well, though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aw, you poor girl :(
    i hope your pregnancy gets much better in the second trimester!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, poor thing :( I hope things will get easier throughout the pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. aw I'm having flashbacks! So happy to hear about all you're going through...when I saw P.U. I kinda thought you might bring up your *gas* issue...heehee

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember being able to smell the dirt outside my house and I couldn't stand it!!! Oh the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope things get better for you soon! I'll say a prayer for the little one to ease up on his/her mama!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds rough! I really hope it gets better for you in a few weeks!
    And I left you a little something on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope things will get better for you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh....I remember the smells! When I was pregnant, I remember that once it got cold, there was this smell that the cold outside had that just made me nauseous. It was definitely the cold air (my husband still makes fun of me for this) because no matter where we were in town, as soon as I walked outside, I could smell it and then my stomach started rolling, and then.....well, you know!

    I'll pray for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am not pregnant, but I know that in my future, when I am pregnant, I will be screwed. Because my sense of smell is ALREADY hyper crazy. Like I smell everything that others don't even notice. Oh dear... not good.

    Hope these bad symptoms pass quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm in trouble. I have a sensitive sniffer as it is. Perfume gives me headaches and makes me nauseaus too. I can only imagine what a baby's going to do to me...

    ReplyDelete