Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Funny Kid Comment of the Day

It's been a while since I've posted one of these. I sometimes forget to look for the little joys in my day, because I'm often so overwhelmed with all the tasks and to-do's. I have to remember, every.single.day to settle down and listen to the kids. They are so...so...funny.

So yesterday...

The 2nd graders are all excited because they're going on a field trip today. One boy, who is quite the trouble maker already knew ahead of time he had to sit this one out. So I asked him what he'll be doing instead of attending the aquarium like the rest of the kids.

He says, "uhh...I don't know. I'll probably hang out at home. My mom will probably, most likely take me to the beach or something."

My instant thought. YEA right.

So I said, "Oh really? I'm sure your mom has to work, silly!" (because I know this family and knew she was a working mom, since dad's in the...um...slammer. lets not go there.)

He goes, "Oh no. She got fired two weeks ago from her job. But, don't worry-she's getting a job at Wal-Mart."

Before I could say anything--the whole class seemed to burst into a big worrysome sigh for the boy's mother. I didn't quite get it, but apparently they all did. [Did I mention this whole conversation happened in front of the entire class? uh. yea.]

...and one concerned boy bursts out: "OH NO!!!! (head in his hands) Wal-marts are open 24 hours, 7 days a week! You'll NEVER get to see your mom again!"

~~~

I laughed. I smiled. I did a little teacher-intervention and had to explain some things to their naive little minds, but overall it reminded me that I freaking LOVE the way kids think.



Happy Tuesday, loves.


19 comments:

  1. I love how cute kids are. Such minds they have!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so precious! I love their brains! I was just thinking this yesterday, what a joy it can be just to listen to them say what their little hearts are feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it:o) I can't wait to start teaching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...THAT WAS SOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA! Kids are so darn funny. Just when you think they've said it all... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHA! Kids are so darn funny. Just when you think they've said it all... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great. I love going into the regular education classrooms and just listening to the chatter sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. too cute!! gotta love little kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I teach 2nd grade and they do say the funniest things! Just yesterday we were walking down the hallway and it smelled like someone was popping popcorn. My one kid said, "Oh Oh, I want to eat that smell!!" It made me laugh out loud :) Last week a kid came up to me and asked me if marshmellows had anything to do with melted cow bones...when I told him that they didn't, he sighed "I'm so relieved!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww! That's hilarious and adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete