Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

Motivation is welcome to kick in any time now...

I don't get it. Lately I've had motivation up the whazoo. I mean, for pete's sake....I pulled out a tree and dead flowers in the pouring down rain. But, my motivation seems to only be channeled in one direction....Toward making my house into a better home. Because, today....I really need motivation for my grad work.

You see, as I've mentioned before, I am pretty much constantly taking a grad class here or there to finish up my Masters degree. I'm thisclose to finishing. After this class (which ends FRIDAY), I have only three more classes and I'm done.

But, to finish this class...I have to write a paper. A quite daunting paper in my humble-been-out-of-school-for-way.too.long opinion. There was a time in my life during my senior year of undergrad that I wrote 12 page papers WEEKLY for my education classes...and now...? A 6 page paper has got the best of me.

This paper...is due Friday. This paper...must be written in the useless "APA" format. [Why do they do this anyway?! Let us just WRITE without all the little rules...pleeeease.] This paper...is going to be boring. This paper....seems like it won't.ever.happen. Honestly.

I even drove myself to a little cafe...laptop and books in hand...to sit, with no distractions, and get this paper done this morning.

But then.

It happened.

I just had to check facebook.

I just had to check blogs.

I just had to answer the facebook chats that I heard "pop" up on my screen.

I had to check my favorite forum.

I had to email some friends.

I had to upload a picture.

I had to comment on someone's picture.

I had to tweet. (Okay. I did not have to tweet. Considering I do this like...once a month. Obviously--someone was trying to procrastinate....)

And all these things...led me to do absolutely nothing. NOTHING.

Okay, well, to my defense-I did at least type out the title of my paper into a word document. Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

So, here I am-blogging, when, this paper is looming over my head. Friday may seem like a long way away, but with the week I have coming up...it will be here before you know it.

Without further ado, I'm going to go now to start this dumb paper get a snack.

Wish me luck.

24 comments:

  1. Type your paper!! But only after you comment on my new photos I uploaded to FB last night. Also, I emailed you. ;) Just kidding. Type your paper. I am the worst procrastinator EVER...don't believe me? I'm supposed to be scoring a language test but I'm checking...and commenting on...your blog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, good luck on your paper!! I know how it feels (although I'm still an undergrad, and I'm not pregnant on top of it all). I'm sure you'll get it done on time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUCK!
    I feel for you.. I really do. I think I would rather go to the dentist than write a 6 page paper (that says a lot). And there is no such thing as "checking facebook real quick". Always takes AT LEAST 15-20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aah, the beauty of procrastination. good luck with your paper! I don't miss school for that exact reason...homework! Bleck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boo! I like writing papers, but it is so hard to get started. Can you write up an outline? Those usually help keep me on task a little more.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck girl! I SO know what you mean! It takes me hours to do any homework because I'm constantly "checking" Facebook, email, and my blog! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh! Yuck! I hear ya sister! I have 2 weeks left of this class and it's killing me! I also have 3 classes ( and a practicum) until I'm finished with my masters degree!! Baby steps are at least a step in the right direction!! Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally feel you on this!! APA style is DUMB! Good luck on the paper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's exactly how i feel right now with all my dumb projects and studying i have to get for this week and in prep for finals week next week! let's hope we both find some motivation very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sitting here cracking up right now because I have one of those 12-page education papers due tomorrow... and what am I doing? Going on facebook, reading blogs, basically doing anything but writing my paper!

    Hahaha I totally feel you girl! But I'm sure it's much harder when you've got a hubby and a little baby growing inside and a job... I have no excuses!

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Luck! I am sure you will get it done, and then just think only 3 more classes go.. that's awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh love... I feel your pain. I have a 20 page research paper hanging over my head. AH!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can do it! I am just finishing up my masters too. I have one last book report and I am done. Do a page and then reward your self. That was the easiest way for me to get done with a big paper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know exactly how you feel! I got my Master's while I was teaching, too. It was not fun, but it felt good when I was finished! You can do it! You'll feel so proud and relieved when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can do it!

    I'm actually quite good at motivating people to finish this kind of stuff. I was known for it in college! If I was closer, I'd totally come be your paper-writing coach!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh. I need it too Katie-dear!
    Two weeks of the semester left and I can hardly stand the thought of all I have to do, much less actually getting the motivation to do it!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I fear this when I go back to school to get my credential and eventually my masters... I so remember the days of 10 and 12 and 15 page papers and getting them out weekly but 6 pages seems daunting me just reading about it!

    Oh and APA - so lame and annoying! I'm gonna have to reteach myself that too when I go back.

    good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Procrastination can be sometimes fun. Good look with your paper! Do you work under pressure? You can do it! When I was in school, to keep from procrastinating, I would make a list of things that I am not allowed to do unless I finish the paper! Things I love: Facebooking, blogging, shopping, etc. :) I would set up goals and then I would reward myself whenever my goals were met :) Good luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely understand where you are coming from. I hate APA, and am so not looking forward to writing papers again when I get to grad school. I do believe in rewarding yourself by the babysteps, and for me, writing papers under pressure turned out to be my best papers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Girl, papers are no fun, I know.... good luck with it girl and hope it all comes together great :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This made me laugh since it happens to me ALL the time! I say I'll get something done, but then I just have to check one little thing online... and I get sucked in for way too long. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugh I always hated writing papers! Especially with all the RULES. If I write I want to write like I want to write. (That was too many writes..lol)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ugh-APA! That's bringing back yucky school memories for me. Everytime I think I want to go back and get my Master's I get all excited and then my boyfriend brings me back down to earth by mentioning things like studying after work for tests, finals, mid-terms, huge papers, citing sources, MLA and APA formats, speeches, etc....hence, the fact that I still am without a Master's degree...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahhh, I HATE when motivation is lacking, especially when a deadline is looming. Maybe you'll work best under intense pressure? Either way, I hope you get it done without too much stress. Good luck on it! :)

    ReplyDelete