Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Admittance...wait? Is that the word...?

Okay, so I'm here to admit something. In the midst of all the baby-gender-drama (not exactly 'drama', but I just love that word..you know, for drama), I never had time to write about my fur-baby son, Mac. You see, he was going through something sort of, well, traumatizing while I was jumping around in glee over the thought.of.having.a.little.GIRL!

On Thursday of last week I gave him a bath, because, well, any hint of the 'dog' smell just sends me over the edge and into gag mode. So, I shoved him into our big kitchen sink and started scrubbing away. But, then...I got a phone call from my dear friend Chrissy. We were chatting away about the results of So You Think You Can Dance and that crazy ending, and I had my head tilted to hold the phone, and both hands full of suds scrubbing away on the pup. [Quite a sight to be seen.]

Because of my lack of well, shall I say...focus....I must have gotten soap into Mackie's eye. I didn't notice or anything, and in fact, neither did he at the time.

I went out that night, and when I came home a few hours later Declan said...

"Hey babe, something's wrong with Mac's eye. He's keeping it closed most the time and he's blinking it a lot..."

I did a little doctor check up on him, and indeed...something was wrong with his eye. It was half closed, or all the way closed at times...really weepy...and very red and sore looking.

I felt like such a jerk. It was totally my fault. I had to have gotten soap in his eye when I was in So You Think You Can Dance la-la-land with Chris.

What.a.BAD.mom.I.am.


Check out his right eye. This was once it was even looking GOOD. I'm horrible. I know.

So, our plan was to call the vet first thing in the morning Friday if it wasn't better. Please note: Friday was the big 20 week ultrasound day, too. Lots going on in my world that day. Turns out, all of Thursday night, Mac was up (in our bed), scratching/itching his eye with his paw, rubbing it on the carpet, and he seemed just plain miserable. Not to mention, he looked pathetic.

When Friday morning rolled around. It was worse.

When I got to school I called them and they said it would probably be best to see him, but they couldn't get him in until Saturday morning.

Flash forward to Saturday morning, and insert 1 foot of snow. [Which ended up being more like 2 feet when all said and done.]

There was no way my poor Mac was gonna get looked at. I called the vet, we discussed what probably happened to his poor eye. Indeed, it was probably my stupidity that got soap in his eye, which probably irritated him, and then he MADE IT WORSE by rubbing the heck out of it for a few days.

We made a follow up appointment on Monday (yesterday) if he wasn't all better.

Lucky us...

and lucky him...

...we awoke to find a happy, playful pup with full use of both eyes and no irritation. Hooray! No more one-eyed-Jack! I mean...Mac.

We're happy to have him back to normal. So is he, apparently.

His eyes are slightly closed b/c he was sleeping and I rudely awoke him with my camera in his face. However...cute, eh? He put his head on Declan's shoulder last night and fell asleep for a while. Love it.


note to self: talking on the phone while giving a bath may cause harm to the animal, and well, you, too.

12 comments:

  1. Ok....first, I feel partially responsible for Mac's discomfort. Yes, he did look quite pathetic. I'm glad he is doing better though!

    P.S. - I will be apologizing to Mac tomorrow night when I see him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that he's feeling better. He is a very cute pup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor pup! Our bulldogs' eyes get really irritated, and I can always tell because he walks up to me and starts rubbing the side of his face vigorously against my leg.

    If we didn't love them so much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw such a cutie.. glad he is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww, he is such a little cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that picture of him and declan is so precious! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Poor little guy, but glad he's feeling better!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Accidents happen! I'm happy to hear that he is feeling better. And better that it cleared up on his own rather than a traumatizing visit to the vet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that look on his face in the first pic, like, "Look what you did to me, Mom!" Glad he's all better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you practiced what not to do when bathing your child on your first child. hahahaha...jk! You're gonna be a great mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that poor baby! :( I'm so glad he's better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww I'm so glad he's feeling better!

    I use tear free puppy shampoo on Max and I'm sure it gets in his eyes all the time, but it never seems to bother him :)

    ReplyDelete