Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Maternity & Fashion 101, Or "Pregnancy Coutoure: Making the Bump Work For Your Body"

I do not consider myself a fashion expert, whatsoever. In fact, I'm really not that good. However...I like to dress myself half-decent and I'm a big fan of accessorizing (as you all know).

I had some inspiration from a certain someone to do a post about dressing the bump. In fact, that 2nd title up there was her idea. Cute. I'd say.

Today, while I was out spending a gift certificate from my Grandparents at Kohls (Shout-out to Grandmom and PopPop!), I realized just how much I hate maternity shirts. Now, don't get me wrong, there a few I do indeed like, but mostly...they are just so matronly, or almost baby'ish...it kind of makes me gag a little. The bows. The floral prints. We're HAVING a baby, not becoming a baby. Please. Spare us. Spare us all. Also...lets not forget...the MONEY. They are so much more expensive, too.

I headed over to the juniors department and the sales were e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e (if you're a Kohls shopper...when is there NOT sales?). I started finding so many sweaters and things that would work for a good, long time...with lots of stretch and give that would hug the bump, rather then look like the moo-moo's our poor mothers wore. [God bless them, God bless them all.]

Besides, all of us mama's, or soon-to-be-mama's know that we WANT people to know we are pregnant, not think "Hmm...is she? Or isn't she?". Since the focus is so much on your mid-section during pregnancy anyway, you might as well enhance it and embrace it, right?

So here are a few of my tips and pictures to go along with them courtesy of the iPhone. My backdrop? A Kohl's dressing room. Fancy, eh?

Honestly, I'd have been more prepared with the Canon had I the genius idea earlier!

1. Cinch, cinch, cinch at the waist.
Nothing will make your bump stand out as a baby belly more then pulling in under the twins upstairs. You can do this by wearing old cardigans, and simply buttoning one or two under the lady lumps, or by purchasing non-maternity sweaters that only have one or two buttons at the top. Then, wear a cute, fitted tank top underneath--and as the belly grows...let it pop out. It's cute!

Here's a casual, non-maternity sweater that I'll be able to wear for a long, long time. The belly will just keep poking out more and more, but as long as its covered in a cute tank. Go for it. PS: I've found that the Old Navy nursing/maternity tops are awesome even now. They are long, and will fit now and post-baby.


2. Make "sweater-dresses" work for you.
Just realize, they will most likely NOT be dresses, but shirts on you (the belly has got to go SOMEwhere!). Paired with the right jeans and even a belt at the waist makes really cute, bump-enhancing technique on the cheap.




3. Wear the latest trends until you CAN!
Shirts like the one below are definitely do-able while pregnant...at least for a little while. They have no real "give" (no stretch-factor)...so, wear them while you can.

This top is about one size larger then I'd normally wear (non-preggo), and I paired a belt with it to cinch it at the waist.


5. Layer, Layer, Layer!
This is definitely a "being pregnant in winter" thing...but, it really has worked for me. I've been able to wear lots of non-maternity stuff simply due to the layering factor. When non-maternity shirts get too short, throw a short-sleeved (longer) sweater (dress) over it and no one will know if you're hanging out underneath.

Again, another longer sweater, paired over a non-maternity "tunic" style long sleeved top. Tunic style is awesome b/c it leaves some room for bump growth. This sweater is a really stretchy, light material.


Or...no belt! Just as cute.



I realize that maternity shirts may be necessary especially later on, but for now...they make (me) look frumpy and uncomfortable. I even took pathetic pictures to prove it.

Honestly..what is WITH the frills at the bottom? Like I need more attention drawn to my hips. Also, you'll notice they don't tend to hug the bump as much, just float right off. Which, again, is fine--but, not as flattering.


This just really gets me...the detail around the collar is just so young and kiddish to me...the bow? Honestly.


So, there you have it.

An entire post devoted to my own personal opinions about "making your bump work for your bod." Save yourself a little money for now...use what you can and find things on the cheap.

***
Happy Tuesday!

PS: Those of you wondering...I came home with everything except the plaid shirt and two hideous lovely maternity tops at the bottom. Loved the plaid shirt, but it didn't have a long-enough belly life for me. Sadly.


40 comments:

  1. you are brilliant and i'm so proud to be your sister... haha

    ps- you are one way hot mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so cute i can hardly stand it! love those sweater dresses!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, you are working those outfits girl!!!! :)

    I am not even Preggers (some pregnant women hate that lingo, sorry if it bothers you, haha), and enjoyed this post.

    And your belly is looking as cute as ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so stinkin' cute! ps. i just bought that 2nd photo sweater in fuchsia. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute post! Love your little bump...you look great in those outfits!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had three of my best friends prego last summer! and they all hated maternity shirts! And pants actually.. sumtimes you can't get away from the pants!
    But have u ever heard of a bella band? alot of ppl can end up wearing there reg jeans most of the pregnancy!
    they look pretty cute too! :)

    Also have you looked much online on old navy? they have sum super cute maternity clothes and there really inexpensive!

    Good luck!
    You've done a great job making non prego clothes into sexy maternity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! Are you enjoying your shapely body?! I have never had a flat tummy so when I was prego, I made sure to flaunt that round belly as much as I could! I didn't have any tent shirts and tried to wear as much of my regular shirts as I could. I also love the tanks that have the lace trim at the bottom which is cute for wearing under shorter shirts.
    I got a cute and comfy nursing gown from the gap...on sale and sooo comfy and wore it before baby came.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are SO adorable! I want to bookmark this page for when I'm pregnant down the road because you make it look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're totally right. Maternity clothes are blah. I'm starring this blog post on the off-chance that it's still there in the next couple of years when we decide to have kids. :-) And I'm glad I'm not the only one into their 20s still shopping in the Jr. section!! Sometimes I look around & it's all middle-schoolers & their mamas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah your bump is too cute!! Love those outfits. Maybe fave maternity shirts have been the t-shirts with rouching on the sides, they are snug but have the extra fabric to grow with the belly. Also, don't forget when clothes stretch not all will snap back, my mom keeps giving me crap about wearing my "pre-preggo" clothes because she says they'll all be all stretched out when I need regular clothes again! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cute idea! I'm not pregnant or anywhere near getting pregnant (only getting married this year!) but I will def keep these ideas in mind and pass them on to my pregnant friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate maternity clothes. I wore (and am wearing again this time) normal clothes, like you mentioned, in bigger sizes and those that are longer. They work now and after the baby. I'm glad you did not buy those maternity shirts...they are hideous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I ever wear...EVER...are tee shirts anyway. Long sleeved in the winter, short in the summer, sometimes with a layer on top. Style is obviously not my forte as it is yours. But if I have an event to attend in the next 35 weeks, even, oh, like a dinner out with the girls, I am so calling you. And quite possibly, literally calling you on the phone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post for all the expectant mommies out there. You look so darling pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you look adorable and super trendy.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute outfits! Those are some terrible maternity shirts! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are working those outfits! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy heck...could you BE any cuter?!?! You make the rest of us (pregs and non-pregs) look bad! I'm definitely filing this post in the back of my mind for when I'm pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute. Love that brown sweater on you!! Super cute bump!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE IT! And seriously, you could not be any cuter. I'm sitting here praying to the Lord above that me and my future bump will one day look like that! So cute!

    Yay for doing this post! Thanks for taking it and running with it! I loved it, and the pics are my fav part!

    ReplyDelete
  21. can you please come be my personal stylist when I get pregnant? You're so freaking cute and you totally rock that bump!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You=adorable! Love this and I'm not even pregnant to take you up on these tips.. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that purple sweater dress looks totally adorable on you! and you're right.... those maternity tops were ICK!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That stuff is so cute on you!!! I especially love anything belted. It looks adorable! It makes your bump look even more adorable - when I didn't think it could get any cuter than it already is!!! :)
    I'm loving reading about your pregnancy! It's givin' me baby fever though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is great!! you look lovely! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love Love Love this post! You're so cute! I think you should make this a weekly or bi-weekly post as you go throughout your pregnancy!

    I'm not pregnant, but I totally want that blue sweater in the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this post and you look so cute!! I am having a tough time too because I am not quite ready for the full maternity shirt yet, but having hard time fitting into some of my sweaters and regular shirts.

    I am wearing a ton of open sweaters/cardigans with long sleeve tee shirts (some maternity, some not.) Loving Old Navy and Gap and forever 21!

    ReplyDelete
  28. BAHAHAHAHA!!!! That is such a beautiful blog!!! You make even the florally bows look cute with that beautiful belly!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Super cute! My mom recently bought me 7 maternity tops, all of which I like pretty well. I like that they're longer and cover the stretchy panel on my maternity pants. One top she bought me has an empire waist with elastic at the back, so it fits very nicely on the top, with room to grow on the bottom.

    A great place to look for maternity tops when you start really needing them is Once Upon a Child, if you have one in your area. They carry gently worn maternity clothes as well as things for baby!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just found your blog and I'm enjoying catching up. I'm due with my first on April 5. Finding maternity clothes has been a nightmare! Is it just me or did you swear target had tons of cute stuff before you were actually pregnant? And the sale stuff is always out of season. I've found the cutesy stuff at the gap and if you're lucky enough to find an actual store it is WAY cheaper than online. I'm definitely going to get that navy sweater at kohls. My other maternity fave are the tank tops with adjustable straps. I bought them in large in every color for like 4 bucks at a forever 21 type store. Because they're large they're really long but not too big because the straps adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome post! I love the ideas you came up with. The only stores that have maternity clothes I'll wear are Old Navy and Motherhood. I think you came up with great non-maternity outfits. (Aren't you glad loose in the tummy's the fashion right now?)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was never a cute preggo girl. I wasn't that into fashion back then either. You look so cute you almost make me want to be preggo again so I could try these out. But alas, I am DONE having kids lol

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have got to get through school and then we are going to start trying for a baby. I have made sure to keep this for that time. I am a tall girl so I already get camis in maternity since they are long enough and are big enough in the chest area!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG what cute outfits you put together! i was pregnant in the summer & feel it's easier to look cute preggo in the summer so i always worried how I'd look if I was pregnant in cold weather with sweaters. I LOVE that short sleeve sweater over long sleeve shirt look! So cute! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just found your blog from Kelly's Korner and will definitely be back! You are adorable! Thanks for the cute and practical advice.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cute, love this post. I'm keeping it for ideas for when I'm preggo with #2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This post should be part of your "poop whisperer" website ;)

    ReplyDelete