Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Nursery Sneak Peek: Part 1

I have a confession to make.

A big, big confession.

We've had the nursery painted since I was 5 weeks pregnant.

Oh gosh. Did you hear that? I said...

We've had the nursery painted since I was 5 weeks pregnant.

5 friggin' weeks.

Just tell me....(but please be nice)....WHO does that?

Obviously, I'm admitting there is some slight embarrassment to this. Because, honestly...I realize that 5 weeks is no safe point in pregnancy. Trust me, I know this from firsthand experience.

But then WHY you ask? Why did we paint the nursery when I was a measily *gasp* 5 weeks pregnant? (and the baby was only a poppy seed...if that.)

Well, let me tell you a little story.

~~~

It was a rainy, rainy Saturday in PA. [Sounds like the beginning of a horror story or something..but no...it's legit.]

I had recently just gotten a gift card of $100 to the good old Home Depot for opening up a checkings account with a new bank. (What a smashing deal, I might add.)

Declan and I love doing things to our home to "finish" it and make it the best, most comfortable living place for us, and you already know that. So, as we were sitting around...contemplating what to do, we thought, what better, more productive thing could we do then painting our guest bathroom.

So we did.

But, we didn't stop there.

We also painted the nursery.

Before you think we just went out and slapped some paint on the walls...we definitely did have some talks about the color and what our intentions for the nursery were. Obviously, to be a little home for our bun in the oven, but more-so...we wanted to make sure it fit in with the rest of our home. In other words, we didn't want it to look like a pastel box exploded all over our kid's casa. Get it?

Our goals for this nursery are:

1. Gender nuetral walls. I don't want to repaint in a few years. Seriously. Also? No offense to anyone--but I'm not a huge fan of pink walls if it were a girl. Blue I can definitely handle (since a few rooms in my home are blue)--but, again...we were going for neutral.

2. White'ish crib furniture

3. Can bring in an accent color based on gender once we find out, OR, just use greens (which we love), or other neutrally colors.

4. Accent decor: Owls. We love owls. [But don't want to over-do it, either.]



So this is basically what we were working with before. A very decent-sized bedroom, that has a double window on the front side of our house and a closet. What little 7-9lb baby can complain about that? Nada one.


Pretty blah and blank...and white...huh? Did we ever tell you we hate white? Okay, its nice for accents and such, but entirely white rooms make me feel, insane. And well, I don't need anything else adding to that feeling. You follow?

So, in a few hours Declan and I knocked out the nursery. Gave it a good one-two punch. We make an awesome painting team by the way.

3 walls of the nursery are a really nice sandy tan color.

We decided on an accent wall behind the crib that is more of a mocha, brown'ish color.

We absolutely love how it turned out.

(curtains already existed there, fyi)

The plan the entire time was for me to use my mural-skills (did I ever mention to you I do murals on the side?) to paint a tree using the sandy tan color on the mocha-brownish wall. We're big fan's of tree's too...tree's and owls.

So, I did.


Please note: I did NOT do this the same day, in fact, I did this months later...like...just a few weeks ago. Also, this is not a wall-vinyl, I promise. I did not project an image up. I looked at a photo of a tree I liked on my laptop and then free-handed it on the wall.



Then, as you walk in the door, to the right is the lightswitch--and you will be graced by this little guy's presence.

[As you can see, he is painted in the mocha-brownish color. Smart, eh?]

We have a thing for owls...and they will definitely be creeping into the nursery decor in little ways here and there.

~~~

So, there you have it...a sneak peek for now. We have done more, ohhhhh lots more since this. Remember how I mentioned the motivation part had kicked in? But, I'll be showing you in bits and pieces.

To, you know...keep it interesting. Or, because, well-it will be getting done in bits and pieces.

Happy Monday!

43 comments:

  1. omgosh, i am in love! you are just fabulous, woman! i love the owl theme.. SO stinking cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! SO adorable! You are one talented chica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you free handed that?? Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had both our nurseries painted 2 + years ago...way before a bay-bay even existed. ;) One is green and the new baby's room is a medium beige. I LOVE that tree!! That's is exactly what I'm going for in the new nursery (trees and birds)!!! I'm hoping to convince my hubby to free-hand paint it on like you did. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! Looks awesome! you are super talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful!!!!!! :) No wonderful you're an art teacher, haha!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love LOVE it! My husband is an artist so when we have kids I def. want him to do mural-like things as well! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am LOL'ing because great minds think alike...you should check out my blog post of the day...lol!

    But in all seriousness, I think the colors are great, and I really like the tree.

    Will you bring in another accent color based on the gender, or pretty much keep everything neutral?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW Katie! That's AMAZING!! You are so talented!!! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks so good! when I get pregnant I may have to hire you to paint a litttle mural on one of our walls ;-) haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it!!! Lo's room has a giant tree in it too, that my mom and I free-handed. And Baby #2's room (which might be done when I'm 5 weeks pregnant) will also have a tree. And quite possibly, an owl. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful. I like your nursery goals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very precious Katie!! That is very exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow you are very talented! I love owls too! I can't wait to see the finished project :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love love love it! you are super talented! can't wait to see more:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Incredible! I love it! I can't believe you free-handed all of that! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is tres cute! If I had half the talent you do, I'd even attempt it, but alas I do not! haha This is soooooo great! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAYYY! We're practically neighbors (in the grand scheme ot things)! We actually just moved to the LeHigh Valley area (near Allentown and Bethlehem) not long ago, but my parents live in Wayne, about 5 minutes from KOP. We're in that area a lot visiting them and my sister and niece. Let me know if you'll be at KOP around the hoidays! It would be SO fun to meet sometime! CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!! I can't wait to see more progress on the nursery, it is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is SO cute and I love the tree. I'm actually quite jealous you've gotten to do that since you were 5 weeks. We live in a rental currently so couldn't paint and now that we are moving I can't do anything! I'm 34 weeks preggo and have a nursery filled with put together furniture (from before hubby left when we thought we'd be hanging around) and gift bags from showers... Yikes. I'm going to go nuts in the new house in May!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fabulous! I'm super impressed by your free-handing abilities! I don't think any baby or toddler can complain about a room like that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! You did an amazing job. I couldn't free hand that for the life of me! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is awesome! I can't wait to do our nursery, we need to get a house first though. :)

    I saw a pack N' Play at Target with owls on it, you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I am so impressed with your mural skills! I read your blog all the time, but I don't know if I've ever commented, I don't know why! I love owls too, and that one you painted is just adorable! Can't wait to see more of the room :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I am so impressed with your mural skills! I read your blog all the time, but I don't know if I've ever commented, I don't know why! I love owls too, and that one you painted is just adorable! Can't wait to see more of the room :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it! Love that it was gender neutral, and you could totally throw accent colors in there depending on what you have! And the mural is amazing. If I had talent, I would so do that for my future children.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW! Your tree looks amazing! Good job, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks amazing! You have some skills, m'dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow i love those paintings! they are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So cute! Love it. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loooove it! And when we're painting a nursery, you're definitely going to have to come to SC & do a little wall mural-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is soooo cute! I really love it! You are one talented lady, I cannot believe you free handed that tree! It's looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE it SO much! It's perfect! We have a thing for owls, too, so I totally understand!

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow this is gorgeous!! I can't believe you did that freehand!

    ReplyDelete
  34. YOU FREEHANDED THAT? I AM IN AWE!

    I knew you taught art, but sheesh...

    I'm hiring you to free-hand my nursery when I need it, mmmkay?

    I will not take no for an answer.

    I'll hold your little one and you can free-hand away.

    I will pay you with tons and tons of girl talks and food and anything else you'd like that my marketable talents allow...such as teaching high-school writing...oh boy...

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm new to your blog, and I must say - that paint job is AMAZING! The owl is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great job on the walls and mural!! You and I have the owl thing in common ... they are all over my apartment. My beau considers it an addiction but I just think of it as love.
    I can't wait to see the finished product and the cute little babe to enjoy the space!

    ReplyDelete
  37. katie, you are talented!! those paintings are beautiful, what a lucky little one you'll have hanging out in that bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh gosh, you did a fantastic job! I love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. oh my goodness! I totally can't believe how similar this is to what we are doing to Ella's new room! Very cute!...obviously I like the style ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I found you through Spearmint baby: your nursery is BEAUTIFUL but am I ever sad to hear that the owl was created thanks to your own personal talent and not a decal - I want one! :)

    ReplyDelete