Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hello L&D ward, I didn't want to meet you quite yet.

Last night was interesting.

I got home from work and realized that I had not felt my sweet baby move all day long. Or did I? Was I so busy that I just didn't feel her at all? I couldn't even remember feeling her kicks in the morning, which I normally do. Then, I normally get home from school and feel her as I sit on the couch and relax for a few minutes.

Nothing.

I felt absolutely nothing.

So, I made myself a nice, big, sugary, smoothie, and I even added whipped cream on top. Surely, that would rock the boat and get her moving, right?

I waited an hour. Within that hour I called my sister-in-love, Kesh, who's an experienced mommy of two. She said she'd remembered days like that while being pregnant, but to wait and see how I feel in an hour. If I wasn't feeling comfortable about it, then call the doctor.

I knew all this. But, I needed the affirmation from someone with experience.

She still hadn't moved.

I broke down and called the doctor. I got the answering service. The doctor called me back within 10 minutes. She told me that if it was abnormal not to feel her for that long, she wanted me to go to l&d and get checked out and put the baby on the monitor.

I called Declan at work, and burst into tears, scaring the crap out of the poor man. I couldn't help it. The worst was going through my mind, even though I tried really hard to push it all away.

He got home quick, and off we went...and he prayed over me and the baby in the car on the way there. I had a feeling everything was going to be just fine.

Other then getting somewhat lost at the new layout of our fancy hospital remodel, and not knowing how to put on the dang hospital gown...we got into a room quick and smooth and had our little chica looked at in no time.

She was fine, and her heartrate was picked up right away. It was anywhere between 135-152...and it figures she started doing flips and kicks and somersaults, to you know, show off. "I just really love to scare you Mom and Dad!"

Gee, thanks kid.

The good thing about the whole trip was that we figured out that I am indeed having contractions already. I actually had a sneaky feeling I was, it explains the tightness in my belly at times and the pain in my back that comes and goes in waves. They put me on the monitor, and indeed-contracting.

So, they didn't seem too worried and told me that I need to be drinking about 3x the water to keep the contracting from getting stronger. I can also blame my career and the whole being-on-my-feet all day thing.

I guess that was a wake-up call, since I thought I had been drinking plenty. Apparently not. They want me in the loo more times then out in the real world all day long, apparently.

Whatev.

I'll do anything to protect that sweet one...and I can thank her later for my amazing familiarity with all the toilets in the tri-state area.

After about 2 hours, a hungry husband, a healthy (praise God) baby, and an exhausted me--we headed home.

...and all is well.


44 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm glad everything turned out ok, but how terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the little baby is OK. And mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie I can't imagine how worried you must have been, but I am so glad everything is good with the baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww bud.. I know that was terrifying for you and Declan! I'm so glad all is well and that she was bouncing around in there for the doctor. I really struggle with the whole water thing too.. I'm not drinking near as much as I should be. Operation change that.. NOW :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so scary! i would have been freaking out! Glad you are both okay though!!!! :)
    drink drink drink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O gosh! how scary! I am so glad that baby girl is healthy! I cannot imagine what you were thinking! I'm a worry wart and I always think the worst for some weird reason. Keep drinking that water! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How scary! I'm so glad you're both doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so scary! But I am glad to hear everything is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad everything is ok!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my heart nearly stopped when I read your title!! I'm so glad your baby girl is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw Glad to hear the baby is okay!

    ♥Stephanie H.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad everything is okay with you and the baby.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, I cried just reading this, out of worry for you. Of course, I'm sensitive to this stuff (and you:), but still, I'm so glad you're OK! Thank God! Take it easy up there, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m sooooooooooo glad she’s okay but I had to chuckle because I’m sure that’s the first of many scares she’s going to give you over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear I am not the only one who freaks out about this! It is definitely something that I keep track of throughout the day in my mind. Yay for everything being ok!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too remember having days like that and being so scared. I am glad it was nothing and she is doing fine. Keep the H2O flowing and that will help with the contractions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Take it easy today--I know how scary those trips in to L&D can be, and they are exhausting mentally!

    I'm so glad that everything's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad everything is okay! I have to admit this post was making my own stomach do flips because I was so worried for you!
    Good for you for being proactive and staying on the safe side, I would have done the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, so scary. That happened to me at about 34 weeks. I am SO glad that you are okay. Drink more water right now, missy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You poor thing! I totally know that feeling. When I was 26 weeks with this pregnancy I fell down the stairs, bad. Head over heels and everything. And then didn't feel baby move for a long time.

    Did the trip to L&D to check out, and it was fine, but oh that feeling. Of not knowing, and praying. I'm SO glad all is well with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't imagine how scary that must be. So happy to hear that your precious little girl is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We had a "getting to you L&D" experience too. I was in a MINOR MINOR car accident and the doc sent me over to the hospital just to be extra careful. I told my hubby I'd be home soon, not to worry. I didn't realize that they had to monitor me for 4 HOURS! In the meantime they realized I was having pretty substantial contractions (at 28 weeks) so we had to stay overnight and have an IV and drink buckets of water. After it was all said and done, we laughed about how we felt very comfortable with the L&D ward now! :) Praying you won't go back until it's TIME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad everything is okay, that must be a horrible feeling. Keep drinking water :]

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good for you for going to be checked! I'm glad everything was okay...just remember to take it easy, even sit at school (Oh, I know the horror of a teacher sitting) but I'm a teacher too and both of my babies were premature (the first was 9 wks early and the second was 4 wks early) so after my first incident I took it super easy the second time. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh goodness...glad everything is okay! I can't imagine how scared you were! The bright side is...at least now you where you are going with the new design of the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad everything is OK! That's scary. Our baby tends to move a ton one day and very little the next. Every time I even start to worry (which is a lot these days) the little one starts to kick like crazy just to reassure me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad that you both are doing ok!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh love - my heart completely DROPPED for you! And you were playing me in WWF last night! YOU ARE CRAZY!!

    I am so glad all is well :) Get that water in you girl! Baby is THIRSTY!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad everything is okay! How scary for you and your hubby both! It just goes to show you are never in the clear until the baby is in the outside world...and then a new set of worries set in. Well take it easy over the next few days and hopefully your little girl with be back to her normal self (AKA-Using your bladder as a punching bag) :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Praise the Lord!! So, soo glad everything is okay. I'm still not feeling much movement, so I feel freaked out sometimes that something is horribly wrong, but thankfully that hasn't been the case. I hope you're putting your feet up, relaxing and feeling lots of kicks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Katie,

    How scary!!! I'm so glad that your little girl is okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That would be scary! I'm glad everything turned out to be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So happy you're sweet baby is ok! I'm thankful! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Keep drinking that H20! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my! So glad everything turned out alright, friend!! I hope those contractions and your visits to L&D stay faaaaar faaaaaar awhile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. So glad everything's ok! Better safe than sorry, so good for you for getting to the doctor.

    Sure can't wait to see that little girl when she's ready to make her debut!

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh my goodness how scary! i'm really enjoying all your baby stories, though. i am so glad you and the baby are doing just fine. she's already a little stinker. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You must have been so terrified, so glad to hear everything turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  39. rent a doppler! I did from storkradio and it was a lifesaver! I could listen to her heart anytime I wanted (and that was a lot!) because I had a few of those scares too.

    ReplyDelete
  40. How did I miss this in my reader? I'm SO glad everything is ok...drink up girl!

    ReplyDelete