Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Another Lesson by Moi

Lesson 230982 in what NOT to say to a very with-child woman.
{some things may not seem as bad to you, but trust me-in your 39th week of pregnancy+hormones=annoying}

~*~

-"I've noticed that your face is getting fuller these last few weeks!"
[Thanks, jerk. Its called water retention. Let's make pregnant women feel even more self-conscious why don't we?]

-"You're not nervous about labor? That's weird, because you should be. I've sat in hundreds of births (as a former OB nurse), and its really scary."
[Okay, now honestly...I'm a first time mom. WHO says this?]

-"You LOOK ready."
[My response is normally, "I FEEL ready". But, I know what this means. I look all sorts of fat and round, and swollen. Thank you for being so kind in the way you say it at least. Sigh.]

-"You're STILL here...?!?!"
[Uhh WHO else is staring back at you RIGHT.NOW.? Um. Yea. Pretty sure I wouldn't be here either if I had it my way.]

-"It's not possible to have that baby anytime soon, you're still carrying too high!"
[Excuse me? Even my freaking OB says I'm "very" low and she is rearing to go. ShutTheheckup. I hate your opinion.]

-"You didn't have that baby yet??"
[Um again. HERE. I. AM. Full belly and all. Does it look like it? Honesttttlyyyyy!]


Okay...just had to vent. Obviously. 2 posts in a day is odd for even me.

and...OMG I sound so bittter...apologies...

~*~

I swear, way better, more sentimental post tomorrow. But of course, pregnancy related. Nothing new here ;)

20 comments:

  1. Haha some people really do say the worst things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish people would think before they spoke... Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...Katie, I am sorry you have to deal with some of those comments. I will admit though, I snorted at your responses. You're a lot nicer than I probably would be. Hang in there, love...she'll be here soon!! I can't wait to "meet" Baby Girl! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww damn hormones! I've totally said "you look ready!" Not because of a fluffy face etc just because of the belly and the look of pure exhaustion. Now I know for future! Ha. I've learned so much here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the exact reason why I don't make comments to pregnant women and if I feel inclined to touch the belly I always ask first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, this:: -"I've noticed that your face is getting fuller these last few weeks!" would make me punch someone.

    i'd punch whoever it was FOR you, just cuz that's. not. cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh poor thing :( That would drive me crazy too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shame on that nurse in the second comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Why would people think its even okay to say any of these things!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. poor honey!

    Some people have NO tact.

    YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. O no...... Sorry hun! What's wrong with some people???

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was going to do a post like this too next week. My favorite is when someone told me I was a Large girl - and I was only 7 months then!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A girl at my school is due I think the same day you are. I really thought she was going to give birth last week but she was still there today! I feel bad for her because I would be so done and not at school! I really don't ask just because I think I'd be annoyed if I were asked!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Today, the same woman who told me my butt was getting bigger informed me that my belly has a really weird shape. Really?!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, a woman told me she knew I was having a girl because I was carrying it all in my ass.

    Nice.

    Anyone reading my blog had to listen to me gripe about pregnancy for the last two months of it. And I'm not nearly as nice as you are. I mean, I'm pretty sure at least four blog entries were written entirely about how much I hated the fact that my boobs were resting on my stomach.

    You're entitled.

    And yeah, people do say dumb stuff. I had someone (with this pregnancy) mention how wide my nose had gotten. I was all "dude, this is my third kid and I hate you and come over here so I can kick you in the head".

    ReplyDelete
  16. BWaaaaa!!! haahaahaa!! this has got to be the funniest, I love your humor! Um yes, these are all the wonderful amazingly stupid things that people blurt out to the pregnant lady! I can remember some days just wanting to scream!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's like on Monday mornings when one of my coworkers tells me, "long weekend? You look so tired!" Gee thanks!

    Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  18. People just don't even know. When my SIL was ready to pop, people at church used to always say "You're still with us?" ... she hated that!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How about, "You are really waddling!" Or your ankles are starting to swell...nice..really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am 22 weeks pregnant right now with our first (it's a girl!) and yesterday my boss and I were talking about my new niece and I said she was 7 pounds. He looked at me and said, "Well I hope you aren't expecting that small of a baby." I was like uhhhh why? And he said, and I quote, "Well, you aren't a very small person, no offense." Ok. Who says that to ANY woman, let alone pregnant?! Then the office started placing bets on how big the baby would be. I left in tears and I guess I'm still upset because this comment is turning into a book! Blah, people can't keep their opinions to themselves apparently!

    ReplyDelete