Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Our first day alone

I was so blessed to be able to have my awesome husband home from work for the first 6 days of Emeline's life. Not every hubby can take that type of vacation time when a baby is born--so I feel very lucky. He was able to be there with me and didn't leave my side once at the hospital....once we got home, he helped his recovering-wife with everything. When I sat down to feed the baby, you'd frequently hear, "Hey babe, could you get me a glass of ice water...with a straw" or "Oh crap, I forgot my cell phone...! Can you find it for me?" (Breastfeeding mommy's know how important it is to have a cellular device to keep you occupied...thank God for the iPhone.) He basically was my right-hand-man.

Despite being fully prepared that being alone during the day is the life I'm going to be leading as a stay-at-home mom (for the time being), I still let my hormones get the best of me Sunday night. I was extra-clingy to Declan. In fact, at one point...I sobbed (hello...let me just tell you...the hormones do.not.leave once the baby comes out...fyi) to Declan about how sad I was he was going back to work, and "who's going to take the dog out?"...and "who's going to get me water when I need it...?"...and "I don't know if I can do this...!" and...."I just love her so much and want to be the best mom ever--".

He was awesome, as usual...and affirmed me that I'm doing a great job and he's loved watching me learn and shape into a mommy. He told me I could do it.

Inside, I knew I could...but for some reason I was letting fear well up in me that was completely unneccessary.

Monday rolled around and Declan got ready for work. Emeline and I were still sleeping, and we both got a good-bye kiss.

We woke up a little bit later...and started our morning 'routine' (there is really no such thing as routine with a newborn in my opinion). After feeding, my little girl went down for a nice long nap...and she hung out with me in the bathroom in her vibrating papasan chair while I took a shower. I probably peeked out from the curtain approximately 349 times in the span of my 10 minute shower. She was sleeping soundly...and no noises seem to bother her...ever. I even had enough time to do my hair, makeup, and get both her and I dressed and ready for the day.

Success.

On my first day home by myself with a 1-week old, even getting a shower is considered a success in my book.

Heck, I was even able to put in a load of her laundry too. I know...I impressed myself, too.

I sat down again, you know...to feed the little peanut...and I pulled up my email.

I saw an email from my husband that was titled: "The Best Mom Ever"

and it read:

"Hey Love,

I just wanted to check in how you're doing. I know you're sleeping as I type this email but when you get up let me know. I love you and admire your strength. you are doing incredibly well as a new mommy. I am proud to have my daughter brought up by you. Can't wait to see my girls at lunch. Love you guys!"

I was instantly in tears.


1. Because of hormones. (leave.now.please)
2. Because I love that man so much.

The next time I looked at the clock, it was 12:30 and time for Declan to come home for lunch. He came home and greeted us girls with lots of kisses. It was a breath of fresh air to see him in the middle of the day. He held the peanut while I made us some grilled cheese sandwiches (we're sooo fancy around here), and we caught up on our days so far. Mine, obviously--consisted of feeding her, changing diapers, taking a shower, feeding her, changing diapers and putting in a load of laundry. All of which resounded "success" in my ears.

I had plans of going out that afternoon...to challenge myself and see if I can really handle this. I wasn't too worried, but, it's always a little bit scary your first time out with a newborn on your own.

Funny thing is...someone had JUST sent me a facebook message that day which had a note of encouragement in it that read:

"Being a stay at home mom has it's own challenges and adjustments. My little bit of advice is to try to go somewhere by yourself the first day or second day. Grocery store, meet someone at the park, anything! It will give you so much confidence!"

Declan headed back to work and I packed Emeline up for a little outing. Off we went to Kohl's to return a few outfits that were too big for my petit baby. However, as soon as I pulled in the parking lot--she started freaking-out-crying. I parked and jumped in the backseat, and like an old-pro, I fed her right there. Not only did I feed her there, but I also changed a dirty diaper. I have a feeling this was the first of many car-feedings and car-changings. Either way...for my first day alone? These are all huge, ginormous successes.

My sister met us there, which was nice to have a little moral support on my first day out. With a sleeping, peaceful baby I was able to make it through Kohl's...return some things and get some newborn outfits that will fit. Not only that, but we were able to make it through Babys-R-Us too, where I needed to purchase a few baby-related essentials.

Next thing you know, we were back at home--I was able to put away laundry and Emeline slept in her swing.

Within the next hour...Declan was home.

Phew. I had made it.

We did it.

I felt really good about our day. It went pretty flawlessly...and it did give me confidence that I can do this.

It may not seem like a lot to anyone else--but, it did to me.

Me and my girl...we had a great day. And I'm smiling because I know we have a lot of other great days together in the future.


~*~

Happy Tuesday!

46 comments:

  1. Sounds like youre doing great, I can only hope to be this successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww!! congrats on your first successful day! (OF MANY!) I think you're a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your day went well. hold on to that sweet husband of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's SUPER impressive that you went out on your first day alone!! AND that you fed and changed her in the car! I can't remember now when I first left the house alone w/her, but I still remember how overwhelming normal things seemed those first two weeks...maybe it was just the first week? Those hormones are CAAA-razy!!!

    Congratulations again on such a sweet, gorgeous baby girl! You're already shaping up to be the awesome mom we all knew you'd be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is huge, You should be so proud! What a sweet hubby you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great first day! You already sound like a mommy pro. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did do it! And you should be so, so proud! I'm so proud of you! You're an excellent mother - no need to worry on your part, even on the bad days - because you're HER mother, everything your sweet Emeline needs! God knows that! He gave her to you, so never fear that you're not exactly what she needs.

    Good work, my friend;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing awesome. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first days at home alone are really hard. I was fortunate enough to have my mom and my husband there for the first week at home... then I was alone. It gets better with each passing day! Be sure to rest sometimes when your sweet girl is resting! An overly tired, hormonal mom is not a good thing. Congrats! Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you go! You're super-Mom already :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a successful day! Emeline is gorgeous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad your first day went so well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad your first day was such a success! You sound like a pro! Emeline is in good hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That definitely sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome first day!!!!

    You are such a good Mommy and you can absolutely do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on such a great day!! Declan's e-mail definitely made me tear up. What a sweet hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That’s awesome and I know you’re going to have a lot more firsts and more successes along the way. Love ya, friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your first successful day out! I only hope I can be as lucky :)

    You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katie, I have to tell you...even though I'm older than you, I'm really looking up to you right now. My husband and I are hoping to start our family soon too and I look forward to more posts like these so I can learn from you.

    You're doing a GREAT job! And on the hard days, you'll have like, 587 blogger friends to give you words of encouragement and sympathy/empathy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I honestly can't remember my first day alone with L. I remember that overall, it was a good day, but when B returned home, I was sitting on the couch, holding him, bawling my eyes out. And I had not a clue why I was crying. Those baby blues are no fun. Glad they aren't bothering you too terribly much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh...and get used to the backseat diaper changes. You'll be doing that for years! Enjoy the fact that she fits so well in the backseat now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats to a successful day! So glad your day went well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a great day! i had to smile because with my first child, i also had him sitting in the bathroom with me while i showered:-) thanks for that memory!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Totally sent several pieces from this post to bret, lol.

    So sweet. Congrats Katie! It really sounds like you are the most amazing mother already!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not a mom yet, but from what I know about being one from friends, I do think you were VERY successful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can I just say I'm glad to "know" someone going through exactly what I'm going through right now? And how comforting that is? :)

    This post made me laugh because a) I was also so freaked out about Jon going back to work because I always was asking him to get me water and my cell phone during feedings and b) I haven't done a car feeding yet but I see it in my near future considering all the doctor appts and family visits we have coming up.

    But you are doing great. I know the feeling of being overwhelmed and Declan is right, you are doing amazing for your daughter! Don't let any other crazy thoughts make their way into your head :)

    Have a great day Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are doing wonderfully.! You have the whole things figured out it seems, Take life as it comes to you. Keep up the great work.!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations!!! You are doing such a wonderful job!! You are going to make the best Mom and your daughter is gorgeous. I hope your Tuesday is going really well!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aidyns father went back to work the night he was born. Luckily he worked at the hospital he was born in, and was there if I needed him.. but still!

    I also had my mom. She was by far the best person I could have had at the time!

    P.S. YOUR DAUGHTER IS BEAUTIFUL!I'm serious, how precious is she?!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are a rock star!! Congrats on your first day alone, sounds like you did an excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are a rock star!! Congrats on your first day alone, sounds like you did an excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my gosh, it's all about the little things!! Congrats on being a new mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Glad the first day went well.

    The email from your hubs made me cry too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. that picture of her is BEAUTIFUL! i am in love with your assortment of headbands!

    wow, you totally out-did me on your first day at home! i think i remember sobbing for at least half of it :)
    a shower? laundry? lunch? and an outing? on your very first stay at home mom day?? you are a rock star!
    lots more memories to come! looking back i loved those quiet moments sitting on the couch with a sleeping baby sleeping on my shoulder. there's nothing quite like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. So, I'm not a mom. But I have lots of friends who are, yada yada yada, and I have to say - that sounds AMAZING for your first day on your own! Way to go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are such precious times...hold onto and soak up every moment...your doing a great job!!!
    And keep up with all those beautiful pic's... I love looking back at mine and reliving each moment...it comes and goes way to quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hannah from KansasMay 18, 2010 at 2:25 PM

    I stumbled across your blog, through a blog, through a blog... I don't even know how, but I love your writing, and keep coming back! You have a beautiful baby and isn't a husband like that AWESOME!? Cell phones and water are so important when breastfeeding (I KNOW!) but a supportive, helping husband like that is even more important, isn't it?! And WOW... GO YOU! for your getting out and about like that for the first time. Car feedings are oh so very necessary, and finally with my second baby I am not ashamed to nurse in public (with a cover and some strategic seating arrangements of course!) Have confidence and you will be amazing mom you want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Heck--tears welled up in MY eyes when I read the sweet email from your hubby, and he's not even MY hubby! HA! Congrats on your first outing. Very successful! Good for you. Love the pictures of Emeline.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Aww, your husband is so sweet! It seems like all I hear from new parents are horror stories, so it's sooo nice to hear that your first day alone with her went so well! This post made me so excited to someday be able to share these types of memories with my own babies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice job mom! Sounds like you are doing great! The email your husband wrote made me tear up too!

    ReplyDelete
  41. wahoa! quite sufficient for a first day. nice work! i didn't leave the house for two weeks. you are a brave and strong individual. can I make one very humble suggestion? the days will get crazier and crazier and some days, breast feeding will be the only time you have to devote to just her. so keep that time for only you two. don't let iphones and technology take away from a time that can be so intimate. you're not just feeding her belly, she's been inside you for nine months and her being right at your breast and on your skin and belly is the closest she's ever going to be to you physically again from now until she grows up. so cherish that moment. all 12+ times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are going to be perfect at this! Already so great and just a few days into it! She is so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. It IS a success that you showered, went out, fed in your car - all of those things are things you should be VERY proud of! Take joy in each small victory. They are all big steps and take strength, courage, and mommy-skills to accomplish! Good for you!

    Oh, and she is AH-DOR-AH-BLE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. She is so beautiful! I love the last photo with the white bow. While I don't have any kids of my own I am a nanny for a baby and I know how much of a struggle it is for me to keep her mom's kitchen clean (the way it was when I came over!) let alone get out to the park or to run an errand! It sounds like you had a lovely first day and you will do wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Aww. I'm glad things went so well. And what a cute e-mail! :')

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, that's impressive! Most of my friends don't leave the house with the baby alone for a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete