Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Hallelujah, a DATE!

I'll be the first to admit that adding a baby to the mix of things can be somewhat-trying on a relationship...even the best of relationships. More then anything, it's an adjustment of getting used to having less time as a 'couple', and changing that into a 'family'. Its not bad, it's just different. I still find it super, duper, incredibly important to invest into that relationship to keep everyone happy.

And on that note, Declan and I were due for a date night. Like, we needed it bad. We needed to get out just us, not worry about every little baby squeak and cry, and get back to the basics of us for a few hours.

Thanks to my more-then-willing to babysit mother (thanks mommy!), we were all set to get out for a nice dinner and a little us-time.

An hour before Declan got home from work and the baby was down for a nap, I went through my closet to find something cute to wear. Thanks to my 3-week postpartum body, that wasn't as easy as I wish it was. Apparently, muffin-top isn't exactly a fashion statement last time I checked. Therefore, I resorted to a pair of jeans and a tank top, and instead focused my efforts on my hair/makeup.

Why?

Because hair doesn't GET fat after having a baby.

I wasn't going to let clothes get me down. I was going out with my husband, and I was stoked.


We had such an awesome dinner at BoneFish Grill. We laughed, we drank adult drinks, we ate an awesome dinner, we reminisced, we talked about cute things that the baby does, and then Declan said,

"Holy crap, babe...you're a MOM."

...and I said...

"Holy crap, babe...and you're a DAD."

...and then we said...

"Umm...we're parents. How did that happen?"


Because...when we get back down to just the two of us, no distractions--all attention (for a few hours) just on our relationship--we become those young, crazy kids again.


We went to Marshall's afterwards to have a little retail therapy (aka: get my skinny husband a few new shorts for the summer, and a few new tops for me), and even THAT was fun.

All of it was fun...carefree, good old 'just you and me' FUN.


and YES--we're in the underwear section making silly faces in the mirror. Should I remind you that we're PARENTS?! [Ha. I know, right?]
Don't get me wrong--I am in LOVE with my new life as a mom, and our new life as a FAMILY. But, it doesn't mean that I can't enjoy some just-us time once in a while, in fact-date nights like these are going to be mandatory every few weeks or so. I consider it an investment into my marriage. A good one.

I feel refreshed.

~*~

Thank you again to my wonderful momma for watching Emeline.
Thank you to my wonderful iPhone for catching priceless moments.
Thank you to Declan's parents and grandparents for the gift certificates.


38 comments:

  1. Love your headband! Where did you find it? Very unique! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the date nights and my husband and I really need to do it more then we do, which is almost never! Looks like you guys had a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are too cute! Sounds like a fab night out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I am so glad y'all had a great night! Mr. B and I were talking about the future, when we have children, and we were saying that it is so important to remember to have date nights every now and then :) I'm so glad that y'all are taking couple time! I hope you have a great weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you had so much fun and that your baby blues were not hanging around to ruin your date. Because trust me, that can happen. Ahem. You two are the cutest couple...EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw yay how fun! I loove Marshalls! You looked very pretty miss =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you had date night! I'm a firm believer that's it's needed for a healthy marriage as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a very fun date night!! Good for you guys for going out and relaxing and being silly :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You def still need date nights!!! You two are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely think date nights are a MUST DO when you have a new baby or heck, kids of any age! Everyone needs to get back to acting like kids once in awhile! :-) It's nice to have great family around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you guys were able to get out!! :) Looks like you had tons of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's wonderful that you went on a date. So important to take time away and do things like that. Plus, it sounds like your mom is more than happy to watch the baby for you - so it's a win/win situation for everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yall look like you had so much fun! Glad you got a night out together :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an important thing to do. My hubby and I will certainly be doing LOTS of date nights to maintain that "us" factor. Good for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was so sweet! What a wonderful evening of making 'holy-crap-we're-parents' memories together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for Date Nights!

    I'm so impressed that you have already recognized the need for alone time with your hubby. I have a couple friends that went through their babies' first birthdays before they were like, "Wait.... I miss my husband. We need a date."

    ReplyDelete
  17. underwear section portrait = priceless!! hope the hubs and i are able to capture "us" just as well as you guys do when we're a family too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so cute!! Glad to hear y'all went on a date night early on. I see so many new moms wait months and months and don't know what to do with themselves! Good for y'all! Looks like y'all had a lot of fun! =P

    ReplyDelete
  19. ha! I loved the pic in Marshalls, that was too cute!

    glad you guys got out for a date night and enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You guys are too cute! Glad you had a fun date night!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun! I've always wanted to eat at Bonefish. What all do they have? Is is just like a reagular steak/grill place?

    And I agree--especially after having a baby--date nights are needed. Maybe I could ask my mom to come over some Friday night and watch Caleb for us. You've given me an idea now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your house has so many fun colors in it! I'm so used to the green bathroom, but I'm loving the blue!

    Glad you got to get away for a date night!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for you guys!! I remember Ryan and I's first date after the baby! Didn't go that well, he wanted to go home and see her! We have since worked that out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So awesome!!! Glad ya’ll got to get out!!! LOVE the pics!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This post made me smile. Way to go for you guys! Not enough parents remember the us before baby and you two are a good example. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like y'all had a perfect date night! Glad y'all got to go out!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We SOOOO need a date night. But is it terrible that I really want J to be the one to initiate and plan it?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Katie, one of the best things you'll ever do is invest in your marriage just like you did last night. Soooo many women forget they even HAVE husbands once that baby arrives. All three of you will be happier if you nurture your relationship with your husband just as you'd nurture your relationship with your daughter. Good goin', girl!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh that looks like so much fun!! You two are so cute!! And your hair does look adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay for date night!!!

    I love the picture with the underwear. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. How fun!! It is so true- a strong marriage is so important... So glad you got some time away!... and Bonefish Grill- YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You guys are so cute together! You look adorable! I always love your hair!

    And Bonefish...yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. OOOO! I know exactly what you mean about NEEDING a date after a baby!

    GLAD you got to go that early.

    My son was so HIGH energy that I didn't get to go until WELLLLLL after 3-5 months old.


    GLAD you got out! HOW FUN! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ya'll are so cute.. I high five you for date night! Great perspective! I'd think it's such a must! :) This post makes me smile.. and for the record.. ya'll are freaking adorable parents!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree on all accounts with you. I really wish we had family near by to look after baby Ethan, but I'm determined to find a good baby sitter soon so we can go to dinner.

    Also, I hate the post partum body. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So glad you got this time! It's crucial! Keeps that spark going! We're lucky to have hubs that value that! Good work, Katie and Declan!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You are gorgeous girl! I think it's even good for Emmeline to have parents who love each other enough to get out and rejuvenate!

    ReplyDelete