Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

You learn quickly when you are thrust into motherhood what becomes your favorite product/item that makes your life a wee-bit-easier. There are definitely a few things I've found to become necessities around these parts...so I figured I'd share. I have a lot of almost-mommies who read here--so what the heck. What works for me may not work for you, but hey--this is all my form of documenting all.things.baby.

Oh, and in no way, shape, or form am I being compensated to promote any of these items. I'm not cool like that. This is all on my personal doing.

So here it goes.


The Ocean Wonders Soothe & Glow Seahorse is a favorite around here. You can get it in blue or pink. You push the belly and it glows, and plays 5 minutes of lullabies, and then fades out. I swear, it helps Emeline go to sleep. I am obsessed with this thing. It goes with us everywhere, and even sits in her travel seat with her for car-rides and such. I know all the lullabies by heart, and have made up my own words to them (sometimes you do crazy things when you're a mom) that are personalized for Eme.

(It comes in a teal/blue for boys!)

~*~

Mylicon Infant Gas Drops....heaven. It's so hard to see your little baby in belly pain. This stuff is totally safe and will save.your.life on those days their tummy is giving them trouble. Obviously, as a mom who is breastfeeding, you have to keep an eye on what you eat and see how it may or may not affect your child. However, it's kind of a guessing game in the beginning. Sometimes, it may not always be what they're eating, but how fast they ate, if they took in too much air, etc. Either way, having this stuff on hand is a good idea (in my opinion!).


~*~

The First Years Spin Store Rack Dryer/Organizer
is also an everyday-thing around here. I find washing bottles by hand quick and easiest. I throw them on this little rack to dry and it's oh-so-handy (versus towel drying? no thank you!) It has smaller spokes at the top for nipples/lids, and longer one at the bottom for bottles. I love it, and it's so inexpensive!


~*~

Having a Pack-N-Play set up with the changing table built-in for the infant stage has been great for us. Being that we live in a 3-story townhome, this is great having set up in our living room for now for diaper-changes rather then running up and down the steps, or changing her on a pad on the floor (because when you're recovering, kneeling on the ground is the last place I wanted to be!)

All of those "extras" come off for later and it is a standard pack-n-play you can pop in the little rectangle bag and throw in the car for trips or whatever later on.


~*~

The My Little Lamb Fisher Price Swing is awesome. It's a multi-time-throughout the day thing for us. It's basically the way I can get anything done around here! I haven't used any other swings, so I'm not necessarily saying this is the ONLY swing to get--but, the good thing about this one is how it swings from side to side, or front to back, and really cradles the baby in an extremely cozy little seat. Not all babies like swings...but thankgoodness Emeline does. She gets some good, long naps out of this swing. I've heard some people complain that it's noisy...but, honestly, I don't find that to be true. Plus, we have the terrible lullaby music that plays on it on often (because my daughter is the one who love that music...big.sigh.for.me.), so I don't hear much other then that ringing in my ears while its on.

ps: like this action shot? ha...
~*~

She had hiccups IN the womb, and now that she's OUT--holy crap, girl can get some hiccups like whoa. Hiccups don't "hurt" the baby (as my pediatrician says), BUT, they do annoy the crap out of my daughter when she gets them. They make her a little fussy, and often can trigger them to spit-up some. So, to avoid that at all costs---Gripe Water! This stuff is amazing, and I swear by it. It's just herbal water and it seriously takes the hiccups away within seconds.


~*~

The Itzbeen timer is another thing I like. Basically, it's a little timer that can help you keep track of when the last feeding was, diaper change, nap, etc. Because, we all know that us tired momma's can get a little fuzzy on those details. I'll admit though, I DO NOT use this thing to it's fullest AT ALL. But, I will tell you why I find it so darn handy.

I only use it at night, first of all. My days are a little too allovertheplace for this. But for about $24, it's worth it. I only use the feeding-timer. This way, when I wake up super groggy and out of it in the middle of the night, I glance at the timer and check how long it's been since she's ate. It also gives me an idea of how much sleep I got and let's me gauge how cranky I can act that day.

Another feature I LOVE on it is the night-light. I clip the timer onto my tank-top strap (or nursing-nighties, which I also LOVE), and then turn on the night-light. It gives enough light to nurse her and not have to turn on a big light so I don't bother Declan, since he's a workin' man. I feel like it keeps Emeline in "sleep mode" too, and she goes right back to bed after she eats.


~*~

So there you have it...a few of my favorite things. I must admit, being a mom now has thrown my mind into crazy-invention-mode. I literally have a few solid ideas for things to create to make life easier for us mommes. Will they ever happen? Who knows. In the meantime, I'll have fun dreamin'.

Speaking of dreaming....[Okay, so it's a bit of a stretch--she's totally awake, hence the one eye open. But, she was milk-drunk. I love her milk-drunk ways. So cute.]

Happy Thursday!

25 comments:

  1. Love the 'review' per say.

    I can't express how similar our must-haves are LOL

    And I just ordered the gas drops and gripe water. Should be here in a day or two. Cannot waaaiittt...

    Bottle rack? Yes please, otherwise the cats would have bottle bits all over.

    PnP with changer...surely! Although I think Caleb is getting too heavy for the changer. It's leaning HA!

    Itzbeen? ohhh yea. I went out and got that on day 2 or 3 I think. I can hardly remember anything these days and writing down feedings was getting old (and a waste of trees)

    The only thing we don't have is that seahorse. Maybe I should get something of the sort to help Caleb fall asleep....Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. That gripe water was amazing! I've never seen anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sea horse reminds me of the glow worm things we had when we were little... Know what I'm talking about??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike! I took some pictures yesterday to do this same exact thing! You've beat me to it! I have to totally agree with you on the swing- it's a lifesaver around here! I have an itzbeen timer and I use it around the clock- a total lifesaver (as long as I remember to hit the button) and I would definitely agree the nightlight is fabulous! We have hicups around here alot too, but we've not tried the gripe water- i've read alot about it and have been planning to get some... maybe we'll make it out today! And, I must say the last picture is precious! We have the same outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I found this so helpful. I was especially interested in what you said about the pack and play because I'm not sure if I should go with one with the attachable change table or not. Our apartment is all one floor, so the stairs issue wouldn't be a problem, but I still think that at the very beginning it might be nice to just have it right beside the couch instead of 20 steps away in baby's room. By the way, that's the pack and play I wanted but it's discontinued now and I don't like the pattern they've replaced it with! Boo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started a list of things we need, thanks to this post! Thanks, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! It is so helpful to know what products are helping you as a new mom, because eventually I'll be a new mom with no experience or clue what is helpful and now I have a better idea :) So thank you! I hope y'all are having a great and blessed Thursday!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Super helpful. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been getting a similar post together but had to laugh at yours that our little girls love the same things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's sooooo cute! The swing was a must have with both of my girls!! Seeing your pictures makes me so anxious for when my new little one arrives in January. I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post...so cool!

    And that's my favorite picture of your Emeline! =.) So, so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love you list- but oh. my. goddness. look at those lips. she's just absolutely precious... ESPCIALLY in a milk coma :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Seahorse is awesome. I call it Baby Crack.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how their lips have no muscle tone yet and the bottom one just folds in half and sinks into their mouths! Its so stinkin cute. She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! You've got some things I have, some things I really want, and some things I'm on the fence about -- super helpful!

    About the swing -- we got the same one as a gift, and when we put it together, put batteries in, and turned it on, it was LOUD. Not "cover up with the lullaby loud," but CRAZY loud motor noises loud. We called Fisher Price, and apparently the sound indicates the motor housing is on backwards, which means ours needs to be returned and replaced. I've of a couple of other people/reviews that have the same problem, so while it isn't super common, it does seem to happen. I'm getting a replacement tonight, so it should be a pretty quick, easy fix!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought the seahorse for my niece and I've been told she loves it! My other niece did not like the glowworm so I was worried about the seahorse for the new one! She seems to like it though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great tips--thanks! i'm totally saving this list for later...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd never heard of gripe water before. I'm going to file that away in my brain for later!! :) And she's so cute.

    Is "milk drunk" just after she eats??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. never heard of grip water . . going to have to try that out for sure. We love are gas drops around here but have not needed them nearly as much with Avin as we had with Alex. I might need to get one of those little musical guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Milk drunk, that's hilarious.

    Thanks for all the info, I will need all the help I can get!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my best friends had a baby in November and she just raves about that seahorse! She also uses something called a heartbeat bear, which is actually pretty cool and then Hayden (her little boy) loves his Sophie. It's just a squeaky giraffe, but for some reason it's his favorite thing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have the same swing and I too love the itzbeen timer. I only use it for feedings too - who can keep track of all those diapers anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the review!

    This will come in handy in the next couple of months!

    Love that Itzbeen thing... Soo cute!

    www.bambinoclark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I must tell you that I originally read this post back when you posted on June 3rd and I made a mental note of your suggestions but we had just started the adoption process so didn't think much of purchasing this stuff. It's funny to look back today and realize that we got the call 6 days after your post that we were matched and expecting a little baby girl.

    So that mental note came in handy this past week when we were looking to replace our Sophia's glow-worm that does not play continuous music and I remembered your seahorse suggestions. After a trip to Target my sweet girl is fascinated by hers and loves falling asleep with it at night. Thanks for the suggestion that at the time I didn't know I would need so soon!

    ReplyDelete