Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

You know you're a mom when...

I personally found that the reality of motherhood hits hard, and it hits fast. You bring home that sweet little bundle for the first time, and they're all yours to take care of. All yours. You instantly become a mom, like that. Bam.

Throughout the last 5 weeks, there have been many times things have happened and I've chuckled a little and thought, "Yep...I'm definitely a mom".

I've been keeping mental notes [Okay. I lied. I write them in my "notes" on my phone. Pregnancy brain turns into Mommy brain, don't you know?], and so I wanted to share them, you know....for fun.

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-I hear lullaby's in my head all.day.long. No joke. The other night, I was taking my shower while Declan and Emeline were having "Daddy Time"---and I literally swore one of her toys was on in the bathroom. I may or may not have even opened the shower curtain to check. But, alas...there was no toy, and YES...it was all in my head.

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-I rock back and forth all the time....even when I'm not holding a baby. You see, Emeline's a mover--she loves motion. If I'm holding her, we're constantly moving--rocking, tapping...something. But? No baby in my arms? Yup. STILL rocking. I'm the girl in the grocery store holding the basket and rocking it back and forth as if it's the baby car seat, out of habit. Yep. That's totally me.

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-On multiple occasions I've woken up, feeling slightly...umm...soaked. Laying in your own ::ahem:: breast-milk is glamorous, don't you know?

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-I no longer carry a purse. In fact, what IS a purse? But, a wallet and cell phone thrown into the back pocket of a diaper bag? Absolutely how I roll these days.

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-I get excited when the first time I "wake up" is in the 4am's sometime....because, heck, it wasn't 2am, or even 3am--but 4 A.M! WahhOoo!

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-I catch myself saying ridiculous things throughout the day and have full conversations with Miss EmeKay, as if she can respond.

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-I've had to "wear" (ie: sling) Emeline on multiple occasions during dinner time, and Declan has said things like, "Babe!! A piece of lettuce just fell on her head! She is NOT your plate!" [To that I say, DUDE--It's hard not to drop anything on her! You try it!]

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-I spilled 4oz of just-pumped breastmilk all over the kitchen counter and nearly CRIED because, dude, that stuff is like GOLD.

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-I literally take photos of her all day long (umm..not like allll day) for fear of forgetting how tiny and sweet she is as a baby, since they grow so stinkin.fast.

I know I've officially become a mom when....

-I laid her under her playmat for the first time the other day, she started batting at her toys, and I almost bawled my eyes out. All I could think about was how fast she was growing up, and next thing you know she'll be...::gasp:: driving.


Those are just a few of mine.

What are yours?

Do tell.

Go.

Now.

"You know you're a mom when....."


[Ps: This is not just limited to mothers...this can be based off of personal experience, what you've viewed of other moms
(but, be nice, please!), etc.]


23 comments:

  1. I loved this. Super cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate with the moving all the time. When my niece was born I would find myself swaying when I stood, because I was SO used to doing in. So funny. Love all of the pictures of your sweet girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't nearly cry when I spilled breastmilk...I did cry. My MIL told me not to cry and it was the one time I yelled at her. So funny. How about you know you're a mom when you touch spit-up...or worse,puke, and don't gag? With my L, it's been the story of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww this is so cute.. and the "gasp: driving" thing made me laugh out loud! My other friend posted a pic of her 2 year old and titled it "He's like 25, right?!" haha..so cute... They really do grow so fast...and that's just my perspective from my friend's kids so I'm sure it's even more intense with your own! :)

    She's so adorable...and so pretty at the same time, girlie! :)This was a really cute post...love the rocking back and forth thing.. haha.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally hearing your noise on lots of these... like the spilled just-pumped-breastmilk? That's the WORST! Or dropping food on the baby's head :) Or the soaked shirts at night...oh yes, I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the swaying! For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why all my photos were blurry...yeah, I was swaying. All the time!

    How about....you know you're a mom when showering/grocery shopping/unloading the dishwasher feels like a major accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to waking up soaked! For me it's getting dressed and feeling good then discovering you have spit up on your shirt but it doesn't matter! Or drivving with your arm twisted behind you so she can suck on your finger/you can hold the paci in her mouth so you can make it home without too much screaming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know you're a mom when

    ...you've fed someone else 6 times already and FORGET to feed yourself!

    ...you find a dirty diaper in your bag and don't remember how long ago you stuck it in there! EEK!

    ...you're exhausted but you just can't sleep until you check on the baby one-more-time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that first picture is the cutest thing EVER. i want to come up with clever thought bubbles for her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know you are a mom when your son or daughter gets more outfit changes than you in a day. He or she may pee, puke, or poop on your outfit and it stays put. It happens on theirs and voila! New clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I literally laughed out loud at the piece of lettuce falling on her head!! haha! Loved this post, and I'm sure you'll have more and more as time goes on. Good idea about using Notes on your phone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. I know it's been a while, but know I've been thinking about you a lot!! I'm sorry I was MIA when You're ADORABLE baby arrived. Congrats! She is breathtaking!! Seriously beautiful!! I loved this post. You're just wonderful!! Hope you know I love you and am SO happy for you guys!!!

    Send my love to Lyryn today!! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I absolutely know you wouldn't have it any other way!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think our little girls have all the same outfits! I love this post....I am totally there with you on the rocking thing, you know when you are tired sometimes and you lie in bed and you can feel a rocking motion well I totally rock back and forth in my head when I am trying to sleep.....I LOVEEEE 4am feeds and I havent carried a purse around for 18 days now! Thank god for the Gucci diaper bag!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute post! I'm only a mom to a furbaby, so I don't have anything to add quite yet. Asking in a couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ... shdn you think about poop. All day. Did they poop, was it a big poop, what color was it, did they have a poop yesterday? It doesn't stop as they get bigger either.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an adorable list! I giggled throughout. :) Your little girl is so precious - I have been absent so I haven't really gotten to say congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post. I agree with every one of them....

    You know you're a mom when you worry about your child's last bowel movement and do a little dance when you open her diaper and see loads of poop!

    Take Care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Katie, Emeline is getting so big what a little cutie!!! The swaying thing...I think it stays with you forever ;-) I even see my mom still doing it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know you're a mum when... you leave for the supermarket still wearing your slippers, yup happened to me!

    You know you're a mum when... you are having an argument with your hubby and you tell him to go to his room, lol, yup again happened to me.

    I love this post cos all of it is soooo true :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this . . such perfect things to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha! That first picture of her cracks me up-love the face!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved this post. I love your honesty and the fact that your honesty doesn't scare me away from motherhood says to me that I am ready! :) Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete