Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

KrazyK8

When I got my drivers license at 16 I was obsessed with the idea of having a personalized license plate for my car.

I paid my own money...and I filled out that form...

Then I sat there, and brainstormed custom-plate ideas.

At 16 years old, nothing too interesting came to mind. People called me "Crazy Curls" (more like, KrazyKurlz--spelled that way...how lame was that?), so--I ran with the "Krazy" theme...and added the "K8" for 'Kate'. Trying to be all cool like that.

It was so.not.cool.

But somehow, I thought it was.

When it came in the mail I got so excited.

KRAZYK8

It looked so cute on my mint green toyota tercel (ps: they no longer make this tractor car), and I felt like a little diva driving into the high school parking lot, with my personalized plate in place.

Until one day...

When I got pulled over by a cop.

He came up to my car, and I rolled my window down.

The first words out of his mouth were, "So---should I call you 'Krazy', or should I call you 'K8'?"

I cowered in my seat.

I realized that my license plate most certainly did not make me out to be the responsible driver I was...er..yea.

Despite that, I kept the plate for years....all through college, in fact.

When I got my first 'real' teaching job, I told Declan I was ready for a change.

I got some random, generic mix of letters of numbers for a license plate...and ya know what? I was happy with that.

Because, I avoided the chance that a student of mine would ask, "So, should I call you 'Krazy' or should I call you 'K8'?"

~*~

Happy Friday!

15 comments:

  1. I drove around in a teal green Chrysler Lebaron (just like the one in Freddy Got Fingered - don't ask my why I know that) with a bumper sticker that had a rebel flag & read "American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God".

    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who had a lapse in good judgement at 16! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. heehee- this is hilarious. hubs and i just registered our cars down her in "Murrrrland" and i totally contemplated getting a vanity plate. i've ALWAYS wanted one! you know.. RN4Life or BMTRN or RNM0MMA. Yeah.. clearly Hubs talked me out of that decision in no time. Generic mix of letters it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I love it! That's really cute.. I used to want a personalized license plate really badly, but my mom said no... (I also used to want an eyebrow piercing, but that's another story)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha I always wanted a personal plate. my husbands nickname is shoes ( last name schuler ) and he had that on his plates for the longest time, I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha!! That is awesome, when I was 16 I desperately wanted a customized licence plate, but my parents wouldn't let me. I'm jealous of your KRAZYK8 plate :D. I hope you have a great day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha!! That is awesome, when I was 16 I desperately wanted a customized licence plate, but my parents wouldn't let me. I'm jealous of your KRAZYK8 plate :D. I hope you have a great day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha that is too funny! I have always thought about getting a personalized plate!

    I just love your blog and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe. That's too funny. My family was ALL about the personalized plates but I never got one. Guess I never came up with anything creative enough!

    Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had personal plates all through HS and college that said Britt24. Once I got into my teaching job, I got a new car and new plates (gave both to my sis). I hated students knowing my car and seeing me drive around town. Now my sis has the privileged of using the plates until they expire :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this!! the hubs and i have a game finding the most ridiculous vanity plates around town...our friends have ELTONJHN in their neighborhood!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being a teacher definitely change how you choose to do things. I am a teacher too (fourth grade) and am always careful because you never know what students or their parents might think. Fun times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg omg omg. When I got my license I had a custom tag that said
    K8ORADE like Gatorade. I was sch a dork!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So funny! I was convinced that it was a great idea to get a CHRLDR license plate when I turned 16, until my boyfriend at the time said, 'Why don't you just get BIMBO?' He dashed my dreams of a personalized plate. I should have done it anyway, you're only 16 once, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOMMMMMGGGGGG!!!! I had a Tercel! I cried when my parents took me out to the front yard on my 16th bday (blindfolded, no less) and unveiled a NEW 1997 TOYOTA TERCEL! Green, too! It was 2 door and they called it sporty! I secretly cried in my room for a few days. Talk about good gas mileage though! But, that thing lasted me forever, all through school and college. Now I can laugh!

    ReplyDelete