Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Losing "control"

I've heard many moms make comments about losing the look of their perfectly-kept-up house after having children.

To be honest, I listened...I nodded...I realized there would be a change and this would also happen to me. But, I didn't realize the lack of "control" I'd have to give up.

Control meaning, keeping my house neat and tidy pretty much at all times. I was always one of those people who liked to keep it pretty neat most of the time (was it "clean"? Not necessarily. But, neat. For sure!). In fact, the day I got home from the hospital, and my achy body should have just sat on the couch recovering---I waddled around organizing all the 'bringing home baby' stuff you acquire. Because I just could.not.handle the mess.

It used to always look like this:
As the days went on and on....I started to find it physically impossible to keep it neat throughout the day while Emeline's awake. And actually? I've had to come to grips with that. I've had to let go of some of that control in having the perfect home appearance. I started to realize that it wasn't quite so important.

Because--the less time I spend picking up every little toy, blanket, book or boppy we've got laying around, the more time I'm spending with my girl.

So now, during the day it looks more like this:
[blankets everywhere, burp clothes galore, dirty dishes hanging around, every baby toy known.to.man. laying around, and messy couch pillows...sigh...I hate messy couch pillows.]

Because as cliche or typical it is to say that she's growing up every.single.day--ohmygosh, SHE IS. I don't want to miss things because I'm too busy tidying up all the time.

Have I let go of the habit completely? Heck no. My husband will tell you that as soon as we lay the baby down at night, the first thing I do is scurry around and straighten up. It gives me a more relaxed feel for the few hours that he and I stay up and have 'us' time. I always make sure to have dishes done, and the pillows...ohhh the throw pillows-they MUST be perfect on the couch so when I come down in the morning it at least appears neat, for 5 minutes, at least.

My house isn't perfect anymore, and neither am I. Obviously.

But, I've definitely become more laid back over the last 2 1/2 months, and I try to focus my time on my growing girl.

The house...the tidying....it can wait.

Because I most certainly don't want to miss little moments, like the first time she discovers her cute little feet:

[Thanks, Jess & Penny for the sweet trumpettes!]


~*~


Happy Tuesday!

31 comments:

  1. Love this pic. I am anticipating my house doing the same when baby comes. I will need to mentally prepare to be a little more 'messy'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girlie, you just wait till you have a little 3 year old running rampant and THEN you'll understand a messy house. If mine could be as "messy" as yours, I'd be thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about that this morning. I woke up and straightened our throw pillows and thought "our house is never going to be this neat after Madison is here.."

    Thanks for helping me realize its ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After atching my 2-year old nephew work his magic on my Mom's super-clean house, I can tell you the real mess may be yet to come. Your house (or at least the livingroom) is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great picture. I too am looking foward to to the mess if it means more time with my baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw I Love this post I can't believe how big she is getting I have followed you through your pregnacy and it seems like it went by so fast.. She is so adorable and I agree I would want to spend more time with her then tidying up the house..

    ReplyDelete
  7. i imagine that's hard! but you've got the priorities straight - spending time with your little girl!
    also, i got that octopus onesie for my niece! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is completely me. If I at least wake up in the morning with the throw pillows perfect and the kitchen clean I feel so much better. I'm sure I'll have to learn to let go of it some too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also a little obsessed with "keeping my house neat and tidy pretty much at all times". Mess couch cushions really make me crazy and dirty dishes do me in. My daughter is 20 months old and I often lose control but as soon as she is sleeping or being babysat (aka watching Baby Einstein or Elmo ) I scurry around like a mad woman picking things up. Like you said, it just makes me feel better. But, it makes me feel even better knowing I'm not missing a second of my baby girl growing up so I often give up, lose control and let it go too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this post - you have such a good attitude about this, and really, your "not neat" still looks pretty good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is something I'm going to have a very hard time with. I, like you, listen and nod my head when people talk about the changes that the baby will make to how I manage my home -- please remind me to look back on this post when I have my baby and am freaking out because I can't keep everything spic and span all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. My. Sake. That is the best post I have read ALL day!!! Thank you!! And you're right...she is growing so fast, and getting more adorable EVERY day!!! AH!! She is so cute!!!! You're amazing...Sigh...Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understand! I generally pick up during naps and at night too-once they are walking, they just drag it all back out right away anyway! But, I have had to let go of some of my OCD tendencies since giving birth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those before and after photos, it is soooo true!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I struggle with a messy house too. I am also the one scurrying around after my babe goes to bed to make things look better... not the same as it was before but better! But I agree, missing all of the growing is not worth it to have a 'show house'. I am so jealous that you get to stay home all year as I am starting school in ...two weeks... yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First- adorable casa
    Second- I think it's a-okay and totally not that out of order in the second pic!
    Third- I love that you're not obsessing about keepign things neat and tidy b/c you'd make yourself crazy!
    Fourth-that picture is pretty much freaking adorable and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ugh my house looks even worse than that but like millions. I just give up in the summer we live outside and i could care less what my house looks like inside!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay even with your pillows a bit messy you have a super cute living room! Great job decorating :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. it is so funny that you did this post b/c i was thinking of doing one just like it while i was looking at my living room and wondering what tornado hit it and why i didn't even care to pick it up. it is amazing how sweet miracles make us see what is really important :D i love the new look, it looks like my living room and it you know what it says to me? that our babies are really loved!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can barely keep my house clean and I don't have a little one to blame it on -- you are doing a GREAT job! No worries!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm the same way about my throw pillows and the dishes. They must be done. I wish I wasn't sometimes, but I am a tad bit OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm already scared that this will happen someday when we have kids! I think I could let some things go, but I'd have to at least pick up every night!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My boss (the husband) of twin baby girls is still a neat freak but their house has been taken over by baby toys. You do have to let the little things go.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Katie, I hear you sister. I actually had to re plan my family room and get rid of some stuff. I will be blogging about it soon. Thanks for letting us see the flip side.

    Take Care
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  25. First of all I love your living room set! I think it's understandable though, you have an adorable baby that needs her play things!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so with you on this! And it's the worst time to not be able to at least tidy up, since people are always wanting to come over and see the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your house is adorable with or without baby stuff! and really, it still looks pretty neat to me even with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. My house was ALWAYS perfect, even after I gave birth I was cleaning up the hospital room! Actually your house doesn't look too bad, just wait until she's all about her toys. They. have. taken. over. and not just the house but the garage and backyard too!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree, it's too important to miss!!

    What color is the paint in your living room? I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You think that is messy? I would hate for you to see my home after I had my kids! I think you're doing a great job and if anything is worth a home being a bit messy, its that little angel you have on your hands there. What a gorgeous bub!

    ReplyDelete