Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

DISC-to-the-OVERY

Have you ever heard moms talk about seeing their kid's discovering new things...and loving watching their kid grow, and blah blah blah?

Because I totally have.

Lots and lots and LOTS of times.

And I before I was a mom, I was all...."uh, cool-that's great". It almost sounded like something out of a parenting book.

But now that I'm a mom, I'm all "Ooh look what my kid discovered today!" and "Oh Declan, look! She can pull her shirt up over her face, that's so stinkin cute!", and "She can actually SEE that toy, and grab for it, then ::gasp:: put it in her MOUTH!", "She can scoot in a circle! look! she's not just a blob!" My.kid.is.a.super.genius!

All kidding aside though, dude---I am seriously seeing right before my eyes my baby discovering new things. EVERY.single.day.

And I freaking love it.

Like right now...she's sitting next to me, happy as a clam on her playmat. She's staring intently at the little cardinal birdie that hangs...and I can see her little wheels turning in her brain saying "go for it!"....and then her hand comes swooping out of left field and whacks the birdie upside the head, and a sheer look of achievement comes over her face, and ohmygosh--cutest.thing.ever.

She is learning.

She is discovering.

It's literally just like watching a story unfold.

Except, not just watching, but being a PART of the story.

Teaching her new things.

Reading her books.

Talking to her even though she can't talk back.

Well, if you don't count coo's. Because dang, this girl coo's. And sometimes, she "sings". I swearrrrr (and Declan can prove it) that when we sing our nightly "Jesus Loves Me" (with hand motions) after bathtime, she is coo'ing along with me. It's so gosh darn cute. Sometime I hope to catch it on video.

I only slightly fear that I have an extreme chatterbox on my hands. Just slightly.

But seriously...everyday it's something new. All of this "new" stuff is just gonna keep on keepin' on. It's kind of exciting. I used to be so sad that she was growing up...getting bigger....but such is life. I'm embracing it. All the fun new milestones, all the giggles, discoveries, and the light in her eyes that comes with it.

It really is fun. It really is a joy to watch.

It's true. Those mom's were telling the truth.

Our kids are geniuses!

Okay, well...they're all brilliant in their own right.

And gosh darn it, I love watching my kid discover new things.

~*~

Happy Monday!

**There are a few things left on my blog sale...check it out.**


11 comments:

  1. My niece is 5 months old, and I've LOVED watching her discover things!!! I was the youngest in my family, so I never really had much experience with babies until Olivia came along, it's so much fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this is cute. I love it how you always put things in the perspective of pre-baby thoughts then how you think about things now. It puts things in a perspectvie that makes me smile...and makes me understand better (since I don't have a little one but can definitely relate to all my friends having them!). And sometimes I admittedly am convinced my friends children ARE geniuses when they do something awesome. I'm like "Ohmygosh I'm going to have a child that can't do any of that. My friends know so much fun about educating their child. Oh gawd!" Then I freak out..and I'm not even CLOSE TO having a baby. It is what it is. I'm OCD. ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it the best??? Ethan is starting to notice his feet more and it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome!!!

    I love watching children learn new things.

    My pseudo-niece Lydia is 20 months old and she is so fun at this age. Saying new things, learning new things...... it's so great, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what's most amazing is how fast it all happens. Think about it. Our children will most likely be in the same class in school, they will only be 3 mos apart....but yours is "talking", cooing, discovering...and mine refuses to leave his comfy uterine home. It blows my mind really how at this stage of life...those few short months make ALL the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post!! ha ha because before people are moms its like oh great I am glad your kid drools . . or whats the big deal if she found her feet . . BUT.IT.IS.A.BIG.FREAKING.DEAL!!!!

    I love how you said . . . she is not just a blob . . had to laugh out loud for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, every post you write about Emeline feels like it came right from my thoughts! Every single new thing they do, it's like ohmygosh!! Look what he can do (she in your case!). I remember the day that Cooper first noticed the animals on the mobile above his swing. I called my husband I was all "he NOTICED the animals, he's SO SMART!!" Haha :) It is sad to think about them growing up, but it's so fun to watch them actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you DO have an extreme chatterbox on your hands because trust me, it is FUN. L never stops talking and I never stop laughing at the things he says. Right now, "Okee dokee artichokee" is the funny phrase of the week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you're so right about that. I don't even have my little lady, but just from her kicks, or hearing her heart beat I determine her personality (which I do realize it makes me crazy for even thinking that) and think of how sweet and smart she must be. Your little lady is growing up so fast! Kids really are sweet geniuses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am positive Lizzy sings with us too.

    ReplyDelete