Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Get me a paintbrush, I'm getting the urge.

Yesterday morning I was sitting on the couch doing my normal blog reading while chugging sipping my coffee and eating my pop tart. Yes, I eat pop tarts...it's like I'm 5...I know. Anyway...I was reading blogs and came across one of my favorite Design'ish type DIY blogs, All Bower Power. Do you know Katie from ABP? She's such a sweetie (well, I don't know her personally...), is super adorable, and has a little baby herself. Somehow, she manages to find time to still do projects around the house. I admire that, greatly.

But ANYWAY--

I came across her blog post yesterday where she did a little paint-job on a little side table/cabinet thing-a-mabob in her dining room. It was SO cute, and a really simple change. I loved it.

And then...I started to feel it.

It's like an itch you have to scratch (ha!)---I got the sudden urge to take a paintbrush to something.

I knew just what that "something" was going to be. You see? Before we moved into our house, as it was being built, Declan and I used to yardsale and find some really fun little furniture pieces and things for our soon-to-be (now) home.

We got this piece for 10 bucks. Inside, it has shelves. I knew I could find a place for it in our house. At the time, I said with a punchy attitude, "I'll re-paint it and make it look brand new!"

But instead...it sat in the foyer of my house like this, for 2 years:

Ich. Gross. Boring. Blah.
In fact, I threw up in my mouth a little everytime I passed it.


Luckily, Miss Emeline was taking her long nap of the day. So I giddily ran down to the foyer, swept this bad boy in the garage, and dug out some paint. I knew right away that I wanted to paint it the same color as our living room upstairs, and I still had plently of paint left to do so.

A solid coat of paint, blue under my fingernails, and a wrecked pair of pajama pants later....(oh, and a little roughing-up with sand paper)...

I got this:

[check out my pups in the background]

It's sooooo much better! So light, and fresh...and less beat-up-crappy-wood-like. It also is a great introduction to the living room which is right up those steps. It's like a little appetizer. Don't ya think?

Anyway. The project cost me all of $4.96, which was the cost of the stinking knob (that only came in a 2-pack). The paint and sandpaper I already had. Oh, did you notice I gave the flower pot a little facelift too? The dark green just wasn't cutting it anymore.

It was a quick and fun little furniture makeover, and now I can enter my house with a smile on my face when I see it.



Happy Wednesday!



29 comments:

  1. Love it!!! We have been DYING to paint our bedroom furniture for the past 3 years! This might be the push for the motivation to get it done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't think that it would make such a huge difference, but it does!! It looks awesome, and the pot is just the cherry on top! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, it looks great!! It's amazing what a little paint can do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job! very cute!! (katie makes me want to paint things too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! It looks great! And I totally know "the itch". Right now, I'm itching to make some new jewelry (but have no space) and sew (but have no fabric or a machine), so I'm directing my energy into finishing/re-painting our house.

    Thanks for the link, too. I'm definitely going to check out her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that color. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE it. Turned out so GREAT!!!!! :) Really like the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha--my first thought was 'wow, it matches the flower pot almost exactly! What a coincidence!'

    And then I realized you updated that too :)

    It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this! I have been wanting to paint our kitchen table and chairs ( its just so old!) but I'm scared that I will ruin it! after seeing your makeover, i want to take the plunge even more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this! I have been wanting to paint our kitchen table and chairs ( its just so old!) but I'm scared that I will ruin it! after seeing your makeover, i want to take the plunge even more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute! I actually liked the before picture a lot because the wood matches the hard to match wood in my kitchen and living room.... but then I saw the after and loved it! Super cute!!! The pot makeover really helped... and your puppers is adorable! I noticed him right away :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't think it looked bad before, but now it looks GREAT! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It didn't look too bad before, but not it looks REALLY good! LOL!

    Oh, and I also eat poptarts for braekfast :) along with toaster strudels! HAH!

    ReplyDelete
  15. NICE JOB!! I love it when I get inspired like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. your cabinet makeover has totally inspired me now! quick! where's my paintbrush?!?
    you did a great job girl...
    xo - the other kb

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a really good job. I painted a bookshelf for the nursery and it didn't turn out nearly that good. Not only did I wish, after the fact, that I had chosen another color, I just plain did a bad job. It's not as easy as you make it out to be!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've done that many times before! My favorite "itch" was seeing a show with a home that had a red front door. I looked at my blah, white, normal door and thought "I can do that!" By the end of the day, viola! we had a red front door.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it!!!! And the matching pot on top looks great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm always amazed at what a little bit of paint will do. It's awesome! Love that you painted the pot too - it really makes it stand out against the brown mat. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! That's one of my fav shades of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice job! I love little, easy projects like this that make everything so much fresher and newer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It makes it look like a whole new piece!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ps. the 'cookies and cream' poptarts are to.die.for.

    mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this! Good nap-time-use:-)

    ReplyDelete