Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Ladies Night

On Friday night I had a much needed ladies night out. In fact, it was a ladies night out that was planned for a lovely college friend of mine by her husband (hi Dom!). Nice, huh? A husband planning a ladies night for his wife. [All men could learn a valuable lesson here.] My friend, Lauren got married almost one year ago, and sadly, her bridesmaids all dropped the ball on planning any bachelorette party of sorts for her. Therefore, she never had any fun, official 'out on the town'-type of night that every bride-to-be hopes to get.

Her husband emailed a few of her friends months ago trying to get this thing planned. Heck, he's a smart man and knows how fast the summer fills up, so he was planning ahead. [Again, another thing all men could take a lesson from him on.] After an email thread that was potentially 10 pages long, we decided on a date that worked for us all and went from there.

As the date was approaching, I was getting excited. I hadn't seen these girls in a while simply because of where we live, and our schedules and such (oh, did I mention we're all elementary art teachers? 'Cuz we are. Cool, huh?).

The entire day Friday I thought about what I was going to wear to make my post-baby-body look not so...umm...fat. I even bought myself a new pair of jeans that did NOT have a stretchy waist band, and I felt like such a diva. [Let me interject to mention that they are indeed in my pre-pregnancy size! woot!] Something about regular jeans that make you feel less mommy-like...and so...so...normal. Unfortunately, only an hour prior to leaving the house, my sweet, precious little baby girl had a diaper blowout on said jeans. My short-lived diva moment wore off and it was back to mommy-reality.

Not only my clothing did I have to worry about, but also leaving the baby for the evening--and, you know...leaving her proper "food" to eat. I was a pumping machine, making sure to leave Declan with plenty of bottles for her that evening. Declan was, as usual very sweet about taking her for the night and having some good old Daddy-Emeline time.

At 7pm we met at a restaurant downtown, and as expected--it was a blast. It was just so fun to talk about everything, and anything...have no real time restrictions, enjoy a nice dinner without a crying or whiny baby, have a drink, and reminisce with some of my favorite girls. Oh, and we laughed. A lot.

We literally sat at dinner for three hours, and they were the fastest three hours ever. Time flies when you're having fun, right? Obviously, I had even too good of a time to break out a camera, or heck, and iPhone picture. Not a photo to document whatsoever. But trust me, it was a good time.

After dinner, the other girls headed off for more out on the town fun (and her husband was even the little 'shuttle' for the night. Again, so sweet, huh?). There were a few factors that led me home at that point. For one, I was already about an hour from home, and I may or may not have had rocks for boobs by that point. Hey, the realities of a nursing-momma, am I right?

But, no matter what...I am so glad I was able to go, even for just three hours.

It was such a good time.

It reminded me how much I've missed those girls. That I'm still capable of a good girls-night-out. That I love to laugh. A lot. And it reminded me that Blue Moon may just be my *favorite* beer on draft.

This all led me to start wondering about how often you mommies get out without the kiddo's, without the husband....and have a good girls night out. Once a month? Once every few months...? Heck...once a week? (Lucky you!) Do share.

Happy Monday!

19 comments:

  1. YAY!!! So glad you were able to get out and enjoy some girl time!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfully fun night!!! I LOVE Blue Moon!!! Add a splash of roses lime juice along with the orange slice and it's heaven in a glass!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun!!!

    I love a good girls' night!

    My high school best friends and I get together once every other month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww yay for ladies night out. i rarely get to go out because of my hubbs schedule & i'm still meeting new friends here on yokota ab, japan. :] hopefully soon i'll have a ladies night out with the hubbs & my three babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How often do I have girl's night? Um never. The closest thing I've had to that in awhile was last night when Kaitlin and I left the babes with our husbands and went to Wal-Mart to get some food for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh so fun! I love just having dinner with girlfriends. I have yet to leave my 10 week old, but I will admit that I am in great need of a girls night out! I don't know when I'll be brave enough to leave him, he is often really fussy in the evenings so I feel bad being away and leaving my husband to deal with him alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! Glad you enjoyed your girl's night out and sorry to hear you didn't get to wear your diva jeans. Guess that means there will have to be another night out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats awesome that you got out. I don't get out often, even with my husband that is! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try to get out a few times a month, even if it is just for dinner. I'm still making friends here in Dallas so I'm sure I'd go out more if I were still in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun! I'm glad you had a good time! I absolutely never get out -- maybe twice a year? And that goes for date nights, too because we have no childcare. So maybe 4 times per year total? (Depressing, I know.) But I'm going away overnight on Saturday & I'm excited -- I haven't done that since my son was born & he's two :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you were able to have a night out to yourself. It's so so so important!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you got the time with girlfriends!

    And ahh! Blue Moon! How I miss thee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Glad you were able to go out with your friends and have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Glad you were able to go out with your friends and have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOOO! Pre-pregnancy sized jeans! Look at you go! So proud of you, dear! And there is nothing like a good girl's night...it's good for the soul. I know your hubby and sweet girl missed you though. Glad you got to get out on the town :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't get out nearly enough but in the last couple of months I've been making an effort to do just that. It IS great, right?

    And congrats on the jeans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't get to do it nearly often enough. (Heck, we rarely go out just the two of us either.) I am working on more "mommy time" though. Sometimes that's a girls night (which, for me, usually is scrapbooking somewhere - nothing too titilating), and sometimes it's just going to Target or JoAnn's by myself for an hour or two. :)

    Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for pre-pregnancy size jeans!!!!! :) I'm glad you got to go out and have some girl time. That was so sweet of your friend's husband to put the evening together.

    ReplyDelete