Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pancake Saturday

Back in the old days (aka: pre-baby), on a Saturday morning, Declan and I would roll out of bed whenever the heck we wanted. Sometimes, it would be 8am, gearing and ready to go hit up some yardsales (because we do love us some yard sale'ing), but most the time it would push more towards the 10am time frame.

We'd leisurely get showered and dressed for the relaxing day.

9 times out of 10 we'd go down to our favorite little neighborhood restaurant and have breakfast. We'd sip in our coffee slowly, order our breakfasts (mine is 99% of the time 2 eggs, over-medium, with crispy bacon and wheat toast). We'd eat, talk, sip coffee. Repeat. We'd make lists. Things we needed at the store that day. Things to buy at Home Depot for around the house. Stuff for the garden, etc. Around Christmastime, we'd brainstorm gift ideas for family members.

I loved that time together.

It's one of the reasons breakfast is my favorite meal out.

Declan and I haven't quite made it to our favorite breakfast spot since little miss Emeline joined our lives. It's not that we don't get out with her, or eat out with her...because from time to time we do, although far much less then before. Which honestly? Is better on our wallet's anyway. But, still.

Our Saturday mornings just look so much different now. Lightyears different, actually.

Now? Now on a Saturday morning we wake up around 7am to a slightly fussy child. She gets fed, and then is happy-as-can-be and ready for PLAYTIME like whoa. If we even attempt to get her back to sleep so our oh so sleepy eyes can have a few more seconds of sleep, she fights it like the dickens.

So, often times we'll bring her in between us in bed. She lays there WIDE awake (however, we.are.not.), making cute sounds, smiling so crazy-big, and KICKING HER FEET like a little maniac. She's basically throwing a happy-baby-trantum, and "saying", Lets!Go!Play!NOW! [I have a strange feeling this will last for years......]

Within a few minutes both Declan and I give in to the fact that our morning has officially started. Whether our tired bodies want to resist or not.

We have a juggling act of who entertains the baby, who gets to shower, who goes down and starts the coffee pot, and who takes the dog out, etc, etc. Often, when I'm getting ready...I like to peak out from the bathroom into the bedroom to see what Declan and Eme are doing. Last week...I caught him playing 'airplane' with her. It was seriously cute.

While Declan gets his chance to get ready for the day, and the coffee is brewing, I come down to the kitchen and start making breakfast.

You see, our new tradition is Pancake Saturday. It's 1000x easier then eating out with a baby. Instead, we eat in. I make pancakes and bacon. Just pancakes and bacon. Oh, and coffee. That's it. We're simple.


And despite that fact that it only took me until last weekend (after months..hmm..years?) to perfect my pancake-making/tossing skills...we're growing to love our at-home breakfasts.

In the comfort of our home, we can entertain our daughter, let her play on her mat, or let her nap peacefully in her swing while we enjoy our food, sitting at our kitchen island and enjoying each other's company.

Pancake Saturday's just might become a family tradition.

Happy Tuesday!

25 comments:

  1. I think that is the cutest tradition ever! I hope to do that one day when I have a cute little family! Breakfast on Saturdays is one of mine and my husband's favorites too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use to make cinnamon rolls on Saturday and waffles or pancakes on Sunday. Ha! Not anymore with Connor here. However, we do have a sweet child who will wake up around 8 or 9, eat, then sleep until 11 or 12, so we do get to sleep in. Saturday and Sunday are now days we sleep in. When someone (ahem, in-laws!) choose to text or ring the doorbell at 8 AM thinking we are awake because we have a baby now, trust me, then learn quickly that we do still sleep in. What a great tradition to start and continue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute Saturday tradition!

    I bet it will be even more fun when Emekay gets to join in on the pancake eating, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what time next Saturday??? :-)

    Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had pancake Sundays growing up! And my mom would rotate every other Sunday with chocolate chip pancakes. They were delish! I miss those days, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, pancake Saturdays sound awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we had a fun Saturday morning tradition! Unfortunately, Saturdays are almost never leisurely for us, so it rarely works out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an awesome family tradition to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I come over for pancakes? I have no idea how to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. :) I see a ton of pancake Saturdays in my near future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like the PERFECT Saturday morning to me!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great! We used to have Pancakes every Saturday when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this tradition! We've started a similar one a while back, and I make this huge breakfast every Sunday with pancakes, eggs and hash-browns, and we absolutely love it! I really hope I can keep it going after Little Miss is born because I think you can't beat a good tradition that involves food and family time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ours is biscuts and sausage gravy. Love it!!!
    I gave you an award. Head over to my blog and check it out!
    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  15. We do "family breakfast" (as Gabe calls it) one weekend morning. All out. Fruit salad, pancakes or french toast, coffee, bacon...yum. We've done this since we got married, and now it's something the kids look forward to all week. Something about lounging around eating breakfast food makes us all happy.
    It's a good tradition to have. EmeKay will always remember it too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like an excellent tradition. I heart me some pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our neighbors do something like this with their kids, but they like to turn music up really loud, dance with the kiddos, then have pancakes. :) I thought that was a cute idea too. I love family traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this sounds so sweeet! Our Saturday mornings are spent sleeping in until 10, getting up, getting dressed, grabbing a quick breakfast and headed to boot camp of death for our Saturday work out. It's quite fun I tell ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a great tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of our most favorite things to do on the weekends is wake up and make breakfast! After, we may or may not go back to sleep! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That sounds like a good substitute for your old tradition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it, what a wonderful family tradition. I also bring Olivia into our bed after her morning feed. She does the happy baby dance, giggles and cuddles. I love these moments when we are a family.

    Take Care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look awesome!!! Sounds like a good thing to start!!
    I use to cook pancakes every Sunday before church but havent done that in forever!!

    ReplyDelete