Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Postpartum body updates and such.

It's not the first time I've posted about postpartum body stuff, obviously. I really heavily considered even writing this post for fear of beating a dead horse. But, you know me...you do...I just think that it's only fair to continue the honesty. I told you TMI about everything related to my pregnancy, and here we go again with the post-baby body. If you could care less, feel free to slip away now. No one's watching.

First of all, I have to say that I TRULY do not know the numbers. I have no idea where I stand as of today. At my 6 week postpartum visit to the doctors, it seemed as though that scale was showing I was about 8lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. I have the worlds crappiest-McCrappy scale at home (one that's just by the pressure, no real #'s show...it's a hot mess), and it was never accurate throughout my whole pregnancy when compared to my doctor's scale. [Remind me to work on getting a new scale, stat.] So I don't know where I stand to-date.

Up until a few weeks ago, mentally, I was pretty sure I looked the same as I did about 2-weeks after Emeline was born. It's hard to notice small changes and such. It really is...especially when you see yourself every.single.day.

It wasn't until a lady who owns a local pizza/sandwich shop we go too saw me and said, "You're lookin' good. I can tell you're dropping the pregnancy weight." To which I shockingly replied, "Really? You think??" It had been over a month since I'd seen her last.

That's when I went home and started putting pictures of myself side-by-side. You all know I'm an over-documenter. I am obsessed with all things progression-related. So, while I had been taking pictures of myself every so often, I had yet to even put them side by side for comparison.

So, that day, I did this:
[and I posted on twitter, being all "omg, does anyone else see a difference? I do! I do!"]

It felt good to know that my body was starting to (slowly) start making it's way back down to what's somewhat normal for me. The truth is, too...it could be a much a faster process, I'm sure. I guess I should be honest and tell you that I'm not exactly working out, or eating much better. The breastfeeding cravings are still there (seriously, what IS up with that?). I get out and walk with the baby, but to date, there's been no "real" exercising. [Yes, I'm one of those who hates it. I know. Tsk, tsk.]

Let me be clear for one moment...this post is in no means a cry baby, I feel fat post. Honestly, it's not. I had an anonymous commenter (hi! yea, you!) last time, who clearly told me that by posting pictures of myself I must have not felt badly about myself and that 'not getting your body back' is a "crock". That's why I'm telling you now that there is clearly more I could be doing to get my body back in shape. This is simply to show you the progress I've had so far, sans hardcore exercising or eating super healthy, but with a bonus side of breastfeeding (hey, it helps!).

So here are the most 'dramatic' (do I sound like Chris Harrison on the Bachelor?) up-to-date pictures to show what my body did on it's own. Just the whole natural process of the uterus shrinking and things falling back into (droopier) place(s).


Yea, there's a saggy pouchy-like belly that hangs. Yea, I poke at it and tell my husband how disgusting it is all the time. Yea, he rolls his eyes at me and tells me I'm beautiful. And YES, I realize I can likely get my body to a happier place (in my eyes) with some exercise and better eating.

But this is my place to write about anything I want, right? So that's what you'll get.

Now, does anyone know if Jillian Michaels* makes house calls?

*On a serious note, I'm gonna try to shred with Jillian...it seems like a lot of you have had some good success with that.


Happy Wednesday!


41 comments:

  1. It's your blog, you get to write about whatever you want! I think it's awesome what our bodies do on their own, naturally. It was one of my favorite parts of the Truth Project series that I participated in spring of 09when the topic was about the human body.
    You look wonderful!! I sometimes wonder with comments like the one you mentioned if the commenter realized how it would come across. Maybe it wasn't intentionally rude, just an observation that didn't quite come across as it was meant to. Or maybe they knew and made the comment anways.
    You rock, keep the pics coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look great! I was talking this morning about this and decided to dye my hair tday because that can be done in an hour compared to baby hips! I know my body could be better if I worked out but I am definitely surprised at what it has done by itself....gooo nature! Once I am back from holiday I am going to start the Jillian shred and fingers crossed it works so let me know how it goes for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. Def a big change!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's what your body does naturally? I'm impressed! I can only hope that I'll have that type of experience when I have a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. You look AWESOME! I am proud of you for allowing your body to take its time and do what it needs to... after all, that cute baby is #1 these days!

    2. I just finished my 2nd workout of Jillian's 30 Day Shred. I can't believe how hard it is!!! I'm posting about it tomorrow on my blog... check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look AMAZING! seriously :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your gorgeous :) and do NOT worry about people who hide behind a computer. so rude.

    I think you've done an amazing job. and you know what? you've got more important things to do than worry about working out.

    This is why we should live closer! haha I would drag you with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great!! And The Shred is amazing. I was a skeptic until I saw it on sale at Target for $10 and just decided to go for it...so so worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look amazing! You had a baby!!!! Your belly had to grow to allow her to grow nice and strong. Don't worry about a thing. My friends keep saying 9 months to put on...9 months to take off...if you do it the right way. You seem like you are totally on track. You are beautiful and amazing to have posted this and dont ever think less of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about not wanting to beat a dead horse, but for me at least, the postpartum thing is a HUGE part of my daily life, and one of my biggest frustrations right now.

    Because I AM shredding. And I definitely see a difference in my body shape and the way clothes fit, but not really on the scale, which is HUGELY frustrating to me.

    I think I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't lose much weight until I stop BFing completely. Which may be pretty soon here anyway since Lizzy seems to be weaning. ANYWAY....LONGEST COMMENT EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look awesome!

    i started the shred last night. ha ha. however, i sit here now and eat p&b crackers and drink a regular coke {gasp!} for breakfast. so, ya ... it's a process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, I totally notice a difference you look fabulous!!! And the 30 day shred is wonderful and kicks your behind!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with everyone else! It's your blog and so you can write about whatever you'd like and if you feel like writing about your post baby weight then so be it. I think you look fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you look fabulous daaaaalling! Lose weight at your own speed and you won't gain it back fast. Atleast thats what i'm told :) Have a great day!!
    ~Molly P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like I told you the other day, you look great. I think you should move that camera and check out your face..I remember noticing how slim my face got after L. :)

    You write about whatever is on your mind. Goodness knows I'll be posting about body image after my little man arrives!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You go, girl! You're doing great! There is a huge difference, and I'm glad you can see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you look great! I totally agree with the breastfeeding cravings by the way, it makes me so hungry and thirsty ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with Jillian, she scares me. More power to ya! lol But hey... and I mean in this is the least creepiest way... your boobs look perkier! YEA! That should put a smile on your face :) You definitely look great after three months! You should be very proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that is a pretty dramatic change. You look awesome and you are doing the most important job in the world right now with me Emeline! Keep it up!

    P.S. I emailed you, too, but THANK YOU THANK YOU for the adorable headbands. Mine has already been worn, Bean's is in her headband basket. You're the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look great! It's great that you're getting back to your regular size without working too hard. I've seen (my sister) cases where years later she looks the same as when she was still pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Who are you kidding? You're looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i think you look gorgeous!! i am SOOOOO on the hate to workout train with you...hate it. loathe it. don't even like sweating.

    that being said...i've really liked the 30 day shred. well...not liked...cuz it's 20 minutes of torture...but once i get the routine down, i turn jillian down and some music up, and those butt-kicking 20 minutes are over in a flash. no clue if i'm actually LOSING any weight...but i think i look skinnier. and i'll take it =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you look great! I don't workout either! I ended up losing weight by changing my eating habits, but I know I need the other too! If only there was more time in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I for one love your post-partum posts and am so thankful that you post your honest feelings up! I enjoyed it all throughout your pregnancy and now that I am SO CLOSE to delivering, I'm loving these as well!
    You look fabulous sister!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are looking so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are looking great! I did shred a few times...yah at least I'm honest. :) And I did notice a difference. I had to stop though because my OB said it was too high impact for me for now. But I plan on using it AFTER baby. So I say go for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can definitely see progress too... The thing that I notice the most (and I'm not brave enough to do a blog with pics...ha) is the icky-ness that has become my belly button. Ugh. I miss the old one, that was normal colored and not all wrinkly and gross! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think you look amazing for only being 3 pp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Umm...You look Awesome. Seriously!! I know you can achieve the goals you have though...so good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look awesome. End of discussion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Katie! You look SO GREAT! So proud of you dropping the weight so quickly...and definitely, it's YOUR blog and you get to write whatever you want. And we all promise to love it, minus a few annoying 'anonymous' posters that try to ruin all of our fun. Keep it up, girlfriend. And by the way, you're beautiful either way :) hope y'all are having a fab week!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! You look great! I hope I'm as lucky as you and it just pretty much falls off after baby boy is born! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Who even knows what the anonymous blogger looks like?! Besides, it's your blog and your body. You look great!! I see the progress and I'm impressed! Your little angel was/is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Honestly, I was going to tell you how good you looked when you posted your Silent Sunday picture but my computer kept freezing and I forgot. I don't think women should pressure themselves to be back in tip top shape shortly after having a baby, I think what you are doing is wonderful in letting nature take its course. Lookin' good lady!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Amen to saggy pouches, droopy bellies, breast feeding as exercise and all things in between. You look great.

    Take Care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amen to saggy pouches, droopy bellies, breast feeding as exercise and all things in between. You look great.

    Take Care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ummm I totally see a difference you look great!

    ReplyDelete