Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

The man in the red helmet

Did I ever tell you all that my dad is a firefighter?

Yea, he is. Since he was about 16 years old, in fact. I won't spread his age around on the internet, butttt...he's been doing it a long, long time.

In my eyes, he's pretty much the smartest guy ever when it comes to all things firefighting-related. He not only runs a very successful company completely built around it, but, serves as a Fire Chief at his local department directing from the outside now, and using his expertise to make sure things go smoothly on the inside. Because of his business and his leadership, he's pretty known in the area among the fire departments all around.

Well, last week in the city I live in there was a rippin' apartment fire. I mean, it was bad. I believe it all started from a cigarette (those friggin' cigarettes...people! stop!smoking!). It was one of those apartment complexes that have the open stairways about 3 stories high that then lead to different apartment doors...it was a nice, newer complex.

The fire got crazy, fast. Many of my dad's friends (and guys who I know) were in there fighting it trying to save the people who lived there. Since my dad's department didn't respond to that call, he sat up and listened on his radio to what was going on instead.

Stairwells were collapsing 3 stories down (cement.steps.people!), and it was providing an extremely scary environment...fast. As soon as my dad heard on the scanner radio that firefighters were getting injured, burned and had broken bones, he got dressed (middle of the night), and went directly to the hospital to be a familiar face as they got there.

Luckily, not one of the residents who lived there got injured, as all the firefighters sacrificed their own safety to get them out. From what I heard, about 80-100 people were out of homes because of the fire.

But the firefighters? Many of them were injured. The majority of them are very good friends to my pops.

One friend severely burned both of his hands because he had to remove his gloves to get his hands out of a pile of debris so large he could have gotten stuck. Another friend broke both legs because he had to jump a story + down to save himself. Another friend burned his eyelids...the list goes on and on.

After my dad spent some time with his friends a few days ago, and heard their stories in more depth there was one common denominator.

All of them could recall the fact that they were inches away from near death situations. One foot from one guy, all 3 floors came crashing down. Had he have been inches over, he would have been killed. The stories went on and on.

In comparing stories and talking about what happened that early morning, turns out, they all kept saying "Well, this man in the red helmet helped me...", and "There was this man in the red fire helmet who I saw while in the fire....", "The guy in the red helmet was with me, but he wasn't wearing an air-pack..."

No one in any of the fire departments wears a red helmet.

Every one of those firemen had their lives spared....saved...just inches away from death experiences, yet they were alive to tell their stories of survival.

But, each and every one of them remember this firefighter, in a red helmet, who was present in their time of need.

I don't know about any of you...but that story sends chills down my spine.

Because, I believe in Angels. I do.

I believe that Angels can take on human form to be there in our time of need...and God can send them to protect us, to move us inches away from a scene that could be harmful.

That man in the red helmet? He was an angel.

He never did come "out" of the fire. He didn't need to.

God is capable of supernatural things. And Biblically? One of an angel's "job description" is to deliver and protect people in harms way.

I don't know about you guys...but I find that so amazingly cool, and that multiple guys had their lives saved while saving others.

~*~

Happy Monday!

59 comments:

  1. OHMYGOSH what an amazing story! I totally got chills!! I totally believe in angels... Wow.. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm so glad none of the firemen lost their lives. What a great man your dad is to jump up and go to greet the injured firemen... Wow.. Just an all around great post. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gives me goose bumps!!!!! AMAZING!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story. I agree with you- that man in the red helmet was an angel sent by God to protect those men. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow so amazing!! I love stories like this. I believe in angels too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, all the hair on my body was standing up. What an amazing, beautiful story.

    And please tell your father and his friends "thank you" for all they do to save the lives of others...

    Just Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad just retired from the fire department here a few years back. The amazing sacrifice that those men are willing to make for our safety is just amazing. Your story brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i totally have goose bumps! What an amazing story. thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me cry. I most definitely believe in angels and I'm sure one saved those firefighters. This story was the best thing to read on a Monday morning. All the day to day annoying stuff doesn't really matter when you think about how lucky you truly are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe in angels, too.

    Thank you for sharing this story...it's an amazing reminder that we have angels watching over us and a Heavenly Father that watches over us too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this story! God is so awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hearing wonderful stories like this one! Thank you to your father and all his friends for everything they do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Thanks for sharing :) I am going to read this to my junior high students.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing story. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That totally gave me chills too! I have no doubt that God was protecting those men that night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AMAZING!! Gave me chills!! GOD is AMAZINGLY awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That's an amazing story! I love hearing God stories!

    That wasn't the complex that Brent and Tara live in was it? That's the only one I can think of in the area that is built like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in tears. I don't even know if I truly believe in Angels because I have never experianced anything to really make me believe in them. I hear stories all the time and this story sure did give me chills and it hit close to home for me. My grandpa who has now passed reminds me so much of your dad. Started on the fire department at a young age and becamse the fire chief.

    Thank you for sharing this story. :)

    Thank your dad and his team for the work they do!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that story just gave me the biggest goosebumps. thank you for sharing. i too believe in angels.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing story! I believe in angels as well. In fact I believe my 11 month old daughter sees an angel every-once-in-a-while. She will completely stop what she is doing and stare, then go on with what she was doing. Thank God for angels that day for saving all of the men close to your dad. And thank all of those men for saving the lives of all those people! A perfect story for a Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a cool story! I definitely got chills reading it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Katie, oh my goodness. I'm at my desk trying not to cry at work. So very very cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. goosebumps! i love this story! god bless those firefighters, risking everything to save our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an awesome story!! God is always there for his people.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohhh, this story made my day. I LOVE angels (I used to collect them and have read tons of books about them) and I also LOVE firefighters. This is a beautiful post. Thanks for making my day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not a religious person and don't really believe in "angels", BUT stories like this make me wonder about the universe :)

    This is a wonderful, fantastic story and I'm SO thankful that no one was killed.

    Your daddy is a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You must be so proud of your father. This post was beautiful, it gave me goosebumps! And I'm already an emotional mess today but this made me tear up just a little bit more.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This story is amazing and gave me chills!!! I am so glad that no one was hurt. I do believe in angels, there are there when they are needed.

    Tell your dad thank you for all that he does. My FIL is a police officer so I know how much they both put their lives on the line for others...

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an amazing story! God is so good and works so many miracles the world never hears about! Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow...that's an incredible story!! What a miracle!! I Believe in Guiding and Guarding Angels also...and that story gave me enough chills that I need to go shave again...Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That story went in a completely different direction than I thought it would... and it was totally amazing! I got serious goose bumps reading that. My daddy is a firefighter as well, and so is my boyfriend, and his sister. Stories like this mean so much more to me, as I'm sure they always do for you... I sure hope if any of them were ever in that sort of situation that a man in a "red helmet" would help keep them safe as well. Kudos to your dad for keeping with the brotherhood mentally most fireman have and being there for his friends. I'm sure it meant the world to them.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Like most of the others I am now covered in goosebumps. Amazing.

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow that gives me chills. Thanks for sharing that story. I believe in angels too, and it reminds me that since my mom isn't here on Earth with us, I know she's still with us. Ya know? Hard to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Phenomenal story. I love ones like this. Things are just so much bigger, more than we are, and this story reminded me of that.

    I can't tell you the number of times when things have happened to me, inexplicable things, that have saved my life, or kept me from danger. I thank GOD He has things in His hands. Mine are way too small.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow that gave me goosebumps! Please thank your dad for being a hero! I truly don't think that those men and women often get the credit they deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Seriously Katie, chill bumps and tears streaming down my face. Seriously. Amazing post, such powerful words. I totally believe in Angels. That's the only way I make it through each day...God is watching over us constantly :) Thanks for that sweet, wonderful reminder. Happy Monday, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Definitely very cool. I read an article in Readers Digest once that a teenaged girl was in a terrible car accident. Her mom got a phone call (from the daughters phone) from a lady that arrive first at the scene. She told the mom about her daughters accident and that she was going to be okay. If I remember correctly they even prayed together. The police and medics finally arrived at the scene and took the young girl to the ER where she met her mom. The mom told the medics that she wanted to meet the kind lady who stayed with her daughter and called her. The medics told her no one was at the scene when they got there. She was out in the middle of no where and there were no signs of anyone being around. When they looked at the girls phone, there were no calls made either....That gave me chills too. I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow that gave me such chills! I totally believe in angels too and love reading people's experiences and stories about them! Also, I am so thankful for good men like you're daddy. They just don't hardly make 'em like that anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love stories like this, always puts chills down my spin and I totally believe in angels. The chicken soup for the Christian soul books are full of stories about angels. I know God sends angels down to help when divine response is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This.Gave.Me.Chills.

    What an amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amazing! It gave me the chills. I am so glad everyone got out alive that is so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing! Before you even mentioned it giving you chills I already got them...

    ReplyDelete
  44. what a great story!!! love the little glimpses from above we get on any random day =)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow, what an amazing story...totally gave me goosebumps! God is SO amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Holy cow I have chills like mad!! What an awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
  47. WOW!! That was an amazing story!! It gave me goosebumps!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I have chills!!

    What an amazing story!! I also believe in angels.... I believe that God sends them down to protect us when the danger in the world is too much for a human body to handle. I pray, daily, for God to station angels around my loved ones.

    Thanks for sharing! Please give your dad an extra hug from a Blogger in Florida that really appreciates his service to his community. Jobs like that require a special person and your dad is clearly one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a great story!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Yay for the man in the Red Hat!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow. My goodness. That man in the red helmt WAS an angel - and he wanted to take care of those fire fighters that were risking their lives to save people they didn't even know. That's amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I just came across your blog! This story gave me chills! I, too, believe in Angels. Happy to hear that the man in the red helment helped so many near & dear to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Irish Carter@lots of life....yes, I have goosebumps too. I have heard these types of stories before...I too believe in angels. Great post Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am reading your old blog posts because that is what I do each time I find a blog I want to follow. This post gave me chills. I too believe there are angels among us in times of need.

    ReplyDelete