Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Creative Space, a room makeover

Recently I finished my craft room. I was in need of a space that was mine all mine with the headband-making I've been doing and Etsy shop fun I've been having.

The room was my husbands office prior (now moved to the basement in his man-cave), and it used to look like this:


But now, it looks like this:


I decided not to paint the room, and so I kept with the same Sherwin Williams Austere-gray paint we had already in there. I had to get a small can to do some retouching, after I filled in the 293908 holes with spackle, and sanded. Yes, I did all that myself. [But, I didn't say it looked good..]


The desk and filing cabinet were something we already had, courtesy of Ikea. The other items (shelving, metal bar/hooks, chair, rolling rack) are also from the beloved, Ikea. My favorite place on earth.

I really love having everything organized and in it's place. If I showed you the explosion that was my craft room prior to this, you would have been appalled. I know I was.

Seeing all my buttons and odds-n-ends organized like this makes me smile:


And here's where I keep my stock of headbands separated by size. I like that they can be hung up there for easy access, giving me an idea at-a-glance what I've got going on. I found these little looks for under $3 in the bathroom-organization section of Ikea.

This is my little shipping station below. When a headband or clip gets sold, I remove it from the stock shown above and clip it here. Once payment is received, out it goes in a puffy envelope to your doorstep. Err...mailbox.

As for that little purple table top it's on? That's a little make-shift thing I came up with. Basically, it was a slab of wood from Home Depot that I sanded down and painted with a purple glossy paint. I had to come up with something because the cart I found to store my fabric had nothing on the top and was open. I can now remove it the wood piece whenever I'd like, but it's quite heavy enough to stay in it's place.


And while my hubby tries to tell me these curtains below look like a little girl's room...I do.not.care. I simply LOVE them. You can see my little fabric-cart with makeshift table top a lot better here. I also use the glass board above to keep track of orders going in and out, and custom things I have going on.

I'm a forgetful momma, so I gotta write things down.


You'll also see in the above photo the little stand with the fan and small TV, all of which we owned already. Truth be told, I won't be watching the television....but, I like it up there in case I need to throw a Baby Einstein on, and the girlie is hanging out with me. Normally, I only work while she's napping or in bed for the night, though. That cute blue fan is from Pottery Barn Kids about a year or so ago.


We already had the "B" letter...because if Emeline was a boy, her name would have begun with a "B". [We've actually since changed our mind on that...] But, luckily, it works for our last name too. I also like the way it looked here in this blank little space.

My husband made me some sweet art for my space, also, and I love having some of his influence in the room.


Overall...I'm pleased. I have a nice space now to work and enjoy myself while doing so.

What do YOU think?

~*~

ps: I'll be back with more spa-stories and such in the coming days....we had a great time being pampered, but boy, did I miss my little family.


44 comments:

  1. Wow girl this looks simply amazing!!!! I'm super impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! Favorites are the vases with the flowers and the curtains. They are so pretty! Good work;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great transformation! It looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're talented lady! It looks phenomenal! So clean and simple, yet beautiful :) very ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girlfriend. Seriously. YOU are SO talented. LOVE this. And your pics even look like they popped right out of a magazine. I am quite impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like such a calm/relaxing work space. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This room makes me want 2 children instead of 3 just so I can have an extra bedroom. Okay, so maybe not that extreme... my kids will just have to share bedrooms so I can have my own craft room. :-) Seriously, though, this room looks like it came out of a catalog! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! And super inspiring to make the awesome headbands that you make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought you were messing with us and used a catalog photo. Super impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The room looks fantastic! What a great space to relax and be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  11. super sweet crafty space!!! i too heart ikea...sure wish i lived a little closer to one! and kudos to you on your shipping organization...i need to come up with a better plan:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love it! You make me want to be creative too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your room! If I had a space like that I might spend more time being creative.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO CUTE! I love how bright and airy it is! The Keep Calm and BLog On is ADORABLE, I may need to get that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, it looks awesome!!! YAY for your woman cave!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE it! It looks so bright and chic! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, that is an AWESOME room! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how it turned out.

    I am jealous! I am dying for a craft room to scrapbook and sew in. It is so hard to pull everything out every time I want to craft.

    ReplyDelete
  19. aw girl major kudos to you!!!! Your creativity totally shines thru!!!!!
    Hard to believe it's the same paint. Man.

    I keep trying to tell myself that if I organized something- anything, it would help! I'm still lacking the motivation.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katie! This is super cute! I love love love love love love love it... Did I say I love it? :)

    I love how open and organized it is! I need to organize my little craft room and follow in your footsteps! Keep calm and Blog/Craft on! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So. freakin. perfect. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love it! I've always tried to do somehting liek that for my scrapbooking...like everything else in the house....it needs a space. One I can run to when Karina takes a nap and I can scrapbook away without looking all over the house. You've inspired me my friend..thanx<3 I love your room and the headbands;D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Katie! This space is adorable!! I wouldn't mind "working" away in there at all! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  24. http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Apartment/Owl+Cook+Dinner+Apron+and+Mitt+Set

    Not for your fabulous craft room, but I know your love of owls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your craft room is so put together and organized. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. YOU DID AWESOME! It's beautiful and cute! And totally inspirational!

    I have that Keep Calm and Blog On poster myself, but not courtesy of the husband:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it! I love those Keep Calm posters!

    ReplyDelete
  28. this is just plain awesome!! can i come work in your workspace?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE THIS ROOM!!! It's so awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love what you did to the room! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You already know I'm going to be buying some headbands but... as a fellow teacher, I was wondering if you might make up some special "teacher edition" headbands for me!? No apples or pencils or anything, just teacher sheek!?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the new room, you are so creative!

    My fav part is the art that Declan made for you...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that room. It's so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am so jealous of your craft room! It's so organized and pretty! LOVE the Keep Calm and Blog on print :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! I love it so much! The curtains are too cute! And I need the Keep Calm and Blog on and Craft on posters! Love those!

    ReplyDelete