Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

DIY Iced Soy Chai Latte's....anyone?

My sister got me hooked on them.

Mmmm.

The smoothy, yummy goodness of Starbucks iced soy chai latte's---magnificent.

Purely delectable.

The perfect blend of sweetness and chill that tastes so good upon touching your lips.

Yet, so very, very bad on your wallet. [For real. Is it just me or is paying $5-$7 for drinks just AB-SURD?! I digress...]

So, a few weeks ago my sister cheerily called me proclaiming the goodness of do-it-yourself at home latte's for so.much.cheaper.

Upon hearing how freakin' easy it was to make them yourself when Starbucks charges you out the bum-hole, I ran to the grocery store so fast to snatch up the two simple ingredients myself.

Did you hear that, TWO. Just two.

Get yourself some soy milk. If you'd prefer...use regular milk. I happen to like the taste of soy milk and the creaminess, particularly in this drink.


Then, your grocery stores SHOULD have the chai tea concentrate [liquid form and comes in box-like thing] in the tea aisle. Tazo is the brand that Starbucks uses. Oregon brand also works well and is quite yummy, too. The nice thing is, you can often find sugar-free versions, de-caf, etc....


Now for the easy part.

Fill a glass with ice. Mix 1 part of the tea, with 1 part of the milk.

Stir.

Add straw (if you're like me).

And chug sip the deliciousness.


The best part? You'll spend about $6-$7 on the ingredients for this--but, you will get about 7 iced soy chai latte's out of it. SEVEN.

So for about the price of one and a half from Starbucks, you can make 7 on your own.

Not bad, I say. Not bad at all.

Enjoy!

[Bu-bye Starbucks!]


20 comments:

  1. I buy it and heat mine up in the microwave before putting it in my to go mug...however I do find myself buying another one almost everyday b/c their is a starbucks in my office building...ugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't is astonishing how easy-and CHEAP- it is to makes these drinks that we would pay so much for at a coffee shop? Even smaller shops charge as much as Sbux. It really, well, chaps my hide is the term that comes to mind :) I've been trying to make my own vanilla lattes at home. So far, they're just okay, but I'm determined to get it right, even if i don't have an espresso machine! The only downside to being able to make them at home is, well, I'm not sure how I'll be able to control myself from making SEVERAL a day! haha

    p.s. the bum-hole comment, I laughed so hard I had tears :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intimidated by your DIY skills. First spray painting an owl, then defeating Starbucks - what's on the agenda for tomorrow, conquering the world?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT!!! Chai is hands down my fave and I didn't realize that you can get it in decaf! I am so going to have to track some down because I'm going through withdrawal already and winter isn't even here!

    Oh, and thanks for the tips on maternity clothes! I just wish ON carried them in stores so I could try them on first. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so yummy! I've yet to try it, but I am going to the store today and (hopefully) will remember to pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm from Oregon, so I'm obviously partial to Oregon Chai. HOWEVER, my mom tried to send me a few boxes when I was in college, and they exploded all over my care package, and then proceeded to mold. It was so nasty. I like to drink Chai, but seriously can't make it myself....brings back the disgusting mold memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am obsessed with chai. Right now I am needing them to be hot in which case you take your steps, add a microwave and remove the ice! YUM>

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lindz - I had no idea you could make it hot. YUM. I will have to try that!

    I've also used the Oregon Chai with regular milk and it's PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! And if you watch, Target puts the mix on sale alot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, as a sbux pro, I can tell you, you have it right. Sbux's base is slightly different, made specifically for us, but the one you can buy in the store is so similar, I can't taste a diff.
    p.s. - we use vanilla soy.

    Don't ever try to make this with a chai tea bag, you will be severely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wanting to try one but did not want to spend the money on one at Starbucks. I'm totally going to do this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job! It looks delicious! Money in your pocket, or in my case, more to spend on Olivia.

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good soy chai latte.. except I like them hot not iced haha.. so I may have to give this a try and just put it in the microwave instead of adding ice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm impressed! My favorite drink at Starbucks is an iced white chocolate mocha, but for the life of me, I just can't figure out how to make it at home :( The white chocolate syrup is one of the only kinds Starbucks won't sell and I haven't found anything similar. Sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! Chai lattes are my favorite drinks ever...but soo expensive!

    ReplyDelete