Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A mini owl overhaul

I mentioned on Friday's post that my sister and I (and Eme) were going antiquing on Saturday morning...and that we did.

We had such a fun time cruising the many little shops that this known-for-antiquing town had to offer. Obviously, Emeline just went along while strapped onto her momma. She enjoys looking at everything, too! She was such a good girl.

I don't know what it is...but I just love it. The vintage jewelry...the old decor...the classic soda machines...the furniture. I just think it's so cool. All of it.

While I'm not big on can't afford having lots of antiques around my house (::cough:: ikea! ::cough::), I do appreciate them.

The nice thing, too is that you can often find old things that aren't worth a ton--little gems, that you can easily re-paint to make fit with your decor. That's what I want to show you today.

I found this little owl for $5. I knew it would be a perfect candidate for a coat of spray-paint. Why, you ask?


First, it has lots of great texture to it, which looks great painted one solid color.
Secondly....because in it's original form....it's kind of creepy, yo.

I mean, those eyes. They iz scary.


Two coats of light pink spray paint later and an overnight of drying time, and that scary owl became a cute and sweet little piece of decor in my craft room.

I likey.



18 comments:

  1. Looks great!! My aunt is the queen of antiquing. I'd really love to go to the antique stores downtown--I'm just not very talented at finding the "little gems." hmph! But I sure would like to try--especially with a precious little babe attached to me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, that is creepy!! Looks great though after you got your hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you know I love it for sure! and I love the unique paint choice - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I'm not really a crafter so I admire you for looking at it and saying "oh I could paint that and it would look great," because I would look at it and be like "that's the creepiest thing ever I'm leaving the store now."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!! I love antique shopping and they ALWAYS have owl stuff. People just don't know the treasures they give up sometimes.

    FYI - You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! I too love going to look at all the fun antique stores, but I am a big fan of IKEA for my furniture. But I think a few choice pieces of antiques here and there is perfect for that eclectic feel that I am fond of!!! LOVE the owl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that owl looks SO much better! You know how much I love owls and I approve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so need to do things like that! it is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! Pink! Girly! And totally less scary!

    lol, those scary "red" eyes would make me want to paint it pretty too :) You are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! By the way, you look great in the first picture. I'm still working hard on the baby weight but these mini Kit-Kats aren't helping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. really cute!! Every time I see something with an owl on it I always think of you!! Goes great in your craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! You're so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! I love E in her carrier. Olivia loves hers too.

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. cute!!! my mom totally gave me a side-eye when i bought a bright yellow and orange owl plaque thing from goodwill for a solid $2. but once i painted it white, she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute! I like it. It would be fun to go antiquing. I've never done it, but it's something I've always wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete