Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The mattress story

It was the last day of August, 2009, and I was sitting at my desk--typing lesson plans, going through beginning of the year papers, and praying...

....praying that I was pregnant.

I'd had one little cycle after the miscarriage, and you better bet we tried for a baby after that. We wanted to start our family. We were so ready.

That day, I just kept hoping that I was pregnant. I had felt little twinges here and there, but was still not late on my period to "really" know or not whether we'd made it work that time around. Besides, it was early. We knew that.

I tried to brush aside the fear and worry.

An email popped into my inbox within those few minutes of sitting at my desk.

It was a request from our guidance counselor for a struggling family within our district who was in need of beds for the children.

Something quickened inside me.

We had a bed.

A nice, beautiful, full sized pillow top mattress. It was in our guest room. The room that would someday turn into a nursery if God ever blessed us with a baby.

When I read those words on the email-I knew. I just knew. I heard God tell me to give my mattresses away. He said to me, "You won't need them." I quickly emailed the guidance counselor back offering up our mattress set without even thinking twice.

I knew the instance I heard that in my spirit that I was pregnant.

The excitement was welling up in me like.no.other by this point.

The minutes couldn't drag by any slower. I couldn't wait to leave and go buy a pregnancy test, only to confirm what I felt I already knew in my heart.

When the time came for me to leave school that day, I jumped in my car with a bounce in my step and such a sense joy it was unbelievable.

I just knew it.

I bought the pregnancy tests, and barely got up the steps in my house before I tore that sucker open.

We didn't need that mattress set after all...because we'd need a crib.

I was pregnant, indeed.

***

35 comments:

  1. SO love this story!!!!!!!! Love the way God speaks to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you tell us these stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got chills! What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Katie this gave me chills. I love stories like this. God absolutely speaks to us and it is up to us to listen! I'm so happy that he gave you both your beautiful Emeline!
    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when I hear that clearly on something I'm supposed to do. It doesn't happen often but it always involves when I'm supposed to give to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got chills!

    Love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was the most wonderful story. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My Goodness Katie - that story brought little happy tears to my eyes. Amazing, amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, gee, thanks.

    I mean, you HAD to tell a sweet story so my pathetic pregnant self could get all weepy and drip tears all over my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That just gave me the chills and made me tear up. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So you're saying that I need to give away our mattress? Just kidding. This story is sweet and very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful story. I love when you can FEEL the signs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep waiting for our story to turn out like yours...I'm so happy for your beautiful little family!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this story. I'm such a sucker for happy endings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww I love it! What a sweet story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl, that story seriously gave me chills.

    Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful beautiful story! So glad you were able to get rid of that mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i just got goosebumps reading this story...so awesome! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what an awesome story. It's amazing what happens when you listen to those little thoughts and hear God's voice pushing you in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this story, it brought tears to my eyes. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. She does have the most precious eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww, what a great story!! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete