Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankfulness, cookie style.

I woke up feeling extra festive yesterday. It was likely the fact that I walked down into a fully decorated for Christmas living room. Either way, I felt the strong urge to bake.

But, it's a little too soon for Christmas cookies.

I immediately sent a text to my sister begging asking her to do something fun. She replied back asking if I had any heart cookie cutters. Well, duh--of course I do. Two, in fact. She mentioned how she found this oh so cute recipe for Turkey cookies and that we should totally try it.

In true Katie fashion, I documented.


Welcome to our turkey factory:


 Try not to die. They are so cute, aren't they? Four cookies in ONE. FOUR.

Cuteness in every bite.

Don't they look so cute all lined up like that?! Like a little turkey army.

The plan? We packaged them all up in cute little bags--tied with an orange ribbon, and then I made little tags, "Thanks for all you do!" Declan's taking them into work today to give to his team of employees. 

Just call me the morale booster. Kidding. Sort of.


It was fun. If you're wondering, all that pretty-colored icing goodness is done with homemade royal icing (colored with food dye, obviously). We used the bottles like you saw in the first image to apply the icing. The sugar cookies are also from scratch using a delish, simple recipe.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup melted butter (mix into sugar--let cool)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
*
Blend until smooth
*
Add:
5 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Mix.

Form into a ball, cover in saran wrap--and refrigerate 2 hours before making cookies.

For the rest of the info on the turkey cookies, go here

****

With Thanksgiving here, my brother flying into town tonight, lots and lots of time with people we love, turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, family photos, and endless amounts of Black Friday shopping (yes, I'm *that* girl)---I'll see you in a few days.

Have a beautiful, special, magnificent, lovely and memorable Thanksgiving. 

I know I have lots to be thankful for.


26 comments:

  1. Your creativity puts me to shame. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable cookies!!! Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...those are TOOOO cute! I have a thing for cutout cookies, so I will have to try these next year! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies are so cute! It's such a nice thought for you to make those for Declan's work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, how cute!! Like a sugar turkey parade!! Best tasting turkeys ever I bet. :)
    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl those are SO CUTE! Your creativeness never fails to amaze me. I'm considering making me some today :) And look at that precious little turkey shirt on Eme! She is precious. You have lots to be thankful for this year :) Happy Thanksgiving, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable cookies! You are the best mom/wife!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute turkeys! I am finishing up my sugar cookies today that R will bring into work on Friday. You are I a fantastic employee mamas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are SO cute. I wish I had seen this just a little earlier, I would've made them for the restaurant! Putting in my [internal] rolodex for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So impressive Katie....Too far for me to hop in the car and drive over for the day from Franklin, PA.
    Would love to meet you and Emeline in person. Then maybe have a 4 piece turkey cookie. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Give Emeline a Thanksgiving hug & kiss from me too. Many blessings, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are cute. If I had time, I would try them too, but I have a full day ahead of me tomorrow.

    Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HA! Those are so cute! I'm on a baking FRENZY today! Have fun on Friday. I'll be sleeping and hoping the best for all the crazy shoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just died at the cuteness and craftiness that is those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute cookies! I'm sure Declan's team was thrilled to get them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my sake! Those are adorable...and ow cute is little miss' turkey shirt? Pretty darn cute!!!!

    I heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's good you won't be blogging for a couple of days because you're showing us all up with your AWESOME crafty abilities. For real.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE IT! I might do it just for fun! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. okay these turned out super, super cute!! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those cookies are too cute to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those turkey cookies are so cute! Such a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those cookies are insanely adorable! They look sooo delicious! yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just thought of these for a Valentine's Day cookie idea that I am working on....I remembered how fantastic these looked and came back for the recipe - what icing recipe did you use??

    ReplyDelete