Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Confessions and Clarifications

Confessions.

I used to hate my naturally curly hair. Hate. Hate. Hate. I actually thought it was like some sort of curse. Older women used to tell me ALL the time that "people pay big money to have hair like yours". I rolled my eyes. [Which my mom said if I rolled my eyes they'd freeze that way. They didn't mom...for the record. :)] 

Anyway--now I can't get my hair nearly as curly as before. It straightens all too well now. When I try to do the roll out of the shower, throw a little product in it and get beautiful curls look? Its a big fat failure. It's all kinky and weird, and non-curly like. I miss my old hair. So much. I cannot believe I just said that. But I totally do.

To give an idea.


Sometimes, when Eme sleeps a good, long stretch at night (8.5-11 hours), I miss her. Trust me, I love sleep, although it's a rarity (and I won't sleep good again until I'm dead....basically). BUT--I do. I find myself being all "oh I just wanna go snuggle her". Don't think I'm crazy. But yea. Sometimes I miss her during the night.  So sue me.

Neither of us girls get out of our Pj's until after lunchtime, almost everyday. I never really bother to go anywhere until after her first nap anyway---and she's so much cozier napping in her pj's. I figure it's nice of me to do so. Errr. At least I like to think so.

I found myself for 5 seconds this week missing my teaching job just a tiny, little bit. But then? A few moments later Em woke up in a screaming fit of pain (I assume due to teething). I held her, I rocked her, I stroked her head, and she peacefully fell back asleep. Then I started to tear up. If I had to work (and likely have to go back next year)--who will do this for her?? How can I cope with knowing I might not be able to be the one to soothe and comfort her? And my heart breaks a tiny bit. Then I forget about missing my job even in the slightest bit because for me, this is somuchbetter. I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't already scared and worried about the thought of leaving her and that it's likely what I'll have to do next year. The topic gets me all choked up. So let's just move on for the sake of saving me some tears.

***

Clarifications.

I realize when people are only reading text, they put their own spin on pronunciations, etc. But--just to clear this up.

My husbands name? Declan.

Sounded out like: "Deck-Lynn". That's how you say it.

It's not "Dee-Clan"...its not "Deek-Lin"---its Declan. Deck. Lynn. 

Hope that helps.

I'm assuming you all also realize this---but while I'm devoting a whole post to it. 

Eme. 

Like, "Emmie" or "Emmy", or "Emme". 

However, with the spelling of her name, we decided just the first 3 letters of her name was fitting.

Hence, Eme. Short for Emeline. 
[Emeline sounded out like "Emma-Line"] 

***

So, yea. I love a little clarity in my life. Or yours. Whichever.



26 comments:

  1. thanks for the clarifications b/c I was definitely saying both their names wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the clarifications b/c I was definitely saying both their names wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wrong on both names too! Thanks for clearing that up!

    And your straight hair is no boring, dull mom-like! I think it looks pretty! What don't you like about it? Want more volume? Or just over the straight look?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have crazy curly hair that I straighten every day. With pregnancy, it's gone back and forth between super curly and just wavy. I LOVE Redken fresh curls. Try it, it will put the 'oompf' back into your curls and still leave them soft and manageable. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right with ya about going back to work. The "W" word is off limits- and when people bring it up I act like I have no idea what they're talking about.
    I was beginning to think that my lil' cuteness was waking up every 2hrs b/c (like you and Eme) we missed eachother... huh. I love that cuddle time at night too!
    Who cares if it sounds crazy! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hair! I am always jealous! If I just put a little product and go I am Mufasa in minutes! I was saying Declan right but not Eme! Make so much more sense know :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was 'saying' Declan's name wrong, too. whoopsie! ((thanks)) I can totally relate to you about the hair! Since straightening it so much throughout college, the top layer just does not want to curl like it used it. It kinda just frizzes, so I'm not able to put a little product in it and go anymore, either.. boo... And I'm with ya.. I have the "Mom" hair cut, too. But to me, it's so much easier and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet it is because of the hormones from the pregnancy with your hair. I know many people who had curly hair before but now it is straighter, or vice versa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear ya on the PJ's. Ethan and I stay in ours until about 11am every day - and some days he stays in his all day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hair is soooo curly, and I hate when people say "Well, I pay to get mine like yours! You're soooo lucky!" Whatever. To have mine straight like theirs, I would have to pay money too. And still spend an hour straightening it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do people even mess Declan up? It's pretty self explanatory to me? lol

    & I love your hair both ways! You do NOT look like a boring mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ugh, my curly hair was my arch-nemesis growing up. and i got the same comments about how people pay to have the kind of hair that just naturally grows outta my head but still, hated it. i actually get my hair naturally, chemically straightened once a year because my hair is that awful curly.

    yours looks adorable though... then and now! :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait till I miss G when he sleeps that long. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always hated my curly hair. And now, I wish I could carry it off like I used to. When it's natural, it just looks unwashed. Before, in my college days, I looked cute. Oh, age.

    And, oh no! You're really having to head back to work? Oh, hun. I know you said it was a possibility, but I didn't know it was quite likely these days. I know you hoped you worked it out so that you wouldn't have to. I'm still praying that happens for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to despise my curly hair growing up, but I finally came to terms with it and I actually like it now. So easy to wash, scrunch and go:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. Evan called me crazy on Sunday morning because he had slept in a bed at his parents house w/ Eva for a few hours through the night, and I fed her and then put her back in her own bed. She didn't wake up until 8 am (late-ish) for her, and I told him at 7:40 that I wanted to go look at her because I missed her so much. He said, if you missed her that much, why didn't you go sleep with her to get her back to sleep last night? LOL

    2. You need to name your next kid Bob so you wont have to write posts explaning the pronunciation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have beautiful hair Katie, straight or curly. I love reading your blog--it makes me happy. :0) I am glad you pronounced your baby and hubbies names because, well, I was one who pronounced Declans name wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  18. have you seen the movie Leap Year. It takes place in Ireland and one of the main characters is Declan. Anyways, only because of that did I know how to 'say' it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eek! your mention of return to work got me all teary eyed and choked up. I understand your pain, enough said.

    Take Care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for clarifying the names! I thought declan was more like dee-clan until i heard you say it in the video you posted when you found out you were having a girl. i also didn't know that eme was like emmy. i thought you said it like em or the letter "m". emeline is more common so i did know how to say that! but i'd actually never heard the name declan before i started reading your blog and i'd never seen eme spelt that way. it's cute though! anyway, you probably didn't care how i can't pronoune anyone's name but thanks for clarifying for me! love your blog; your baby is adorable and soooo well dressed. she has way more clothes and accesories then i do. :) jealous.

    oh and i used to hate my curly hair too! it's grown on me...or it just got too hard to fight. i like your straight hair though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You so don't have mom hair!! :) And I used to loathe my curly hair too and straighten it every day. Now I wear it curly in the hot months (mostly bc I can't stand blowdrying it) and straight the rest of the time. Hopefully mine doesn't change!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'll tell ya....the VERY FIRST time I read your Hubbi's name...I pronounced it JUST.RIGHT!!! :D Go me...lol!

    I thought, "This is such a cool name!"

    Well my Sis watches this show called Degrassi....and a guy w/ Declan's name was a character!!! I was like "I have heard of that name before...I know it!!!" How cool!!!! SO...just wanted to share!

    Happy evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. P.S.

    I love my curly hair!!! All I can do w/ it is scrunch it though!!! I live in south Texas...too much humidity!!! If I flat iron it...it geet FRIZZY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. my hair wouldn't be curly for ANYTHING. always been stick straight...so no "shower and go" for me either!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love in your videos when you say her name. It's so sweet sounding coming from you. Your husband's name is very unique to me since I've never heard it before your blog.
    and your hair looks beautiful no matter how you style it but I can understand missing the curls even just a little bit. We always want what we can't/don't have!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I miss my daughter at night sometimes too and if she sleeps in, have to go in and start waking her up. lol

    ReplyDelete