Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Things I should know by now.

I should know that if I use Emeline's spare outfit in the diaper bag, and forget to replace it...something bad WILL happen. You know Murphy's law? Yea. That. It's totally true.

At Church on Sunday, we had an explosive one. Like, the dreaded up-the-back kind. I frantically started going through the diaper bag and then realized there were NO spare outfits. What kind of mom am I? Hon-est-ly. So, I remained calm.

You'd have been so impressed, though. Declan and I were such a good team--no one in our little house Church even had any idea about the horror that was her diaper. Let me tell you how glad I was that she had a onesie underneath her leggings and tunic-style top, because it made a sacrifice for us that day. It's little life was short. But? It served it's purpose. To save us from humiliation. It's home now is at the dump, poor little pink worn-only-once onesie. It wasn't even worth trying to save. Trust me.

***

I should know that when I get the bright idea to play the Wii with my husband---no matter how good it sounds at the time, it's always a bad idea. Always.

I am a poor sport. And? I'm really not that good despite all my trash talk my best efforts. My husband, however is really good at all things like that. So, it puts me in a grouchy/goofy/weird/irritable mood, and the mixture of it is, well, interesting. 

But, yea. I really should learn my lesson and when the urge strikes up to play (every once in a blue moon), I should just quit while I'm ahead and still sane.

***

I should know that when I start something new, I can sometimes become slightly obsessive. At least for a little while. Like my new Lightroom obsession? Even though I suck at it (hey, it's still new to me) and professional photographers would probably look at my edits and be like, "Ohmygosh it's SO amateur", I don't even care. Because I'm learning. You have to mess up to get decent someday, right?

So, I may or may not have stayed in my pj's all day yesterday and spent every naptime huddled over my computer, or playing with my camera, or pretending to be a good photographer just because.

Although I'm a teeny, tiny bit proud of myself for finally realizing how to get a decent macro type shot while using my camera in full manual.

[Psss....this first picture is my most favorite Christmas gift ever this year. Declan did good, didn't he?]


And you should know it's unlikely to get away from this place without seeing a few photos of this girl.


Happy Wednesday! 

22 comments:

  1. hahah i totalllllly agree about the wii thing. my husband and i get competitive, and then i get grumpy when he.wins.everything we play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog today and have to say that your little girl is beautiful and I love her name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was laughing hysterically at the Wii comment. I too always feel the same way. I think I wanna play, I think Im going to do well too...but no matter what, by the end...I'm regretting beginning the game at all!
    Hope you had a merry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty sure I have something to say about every single thing in this post.

    1. I am the WORST diaper bag re-packer everrrr ... I have found myself stuck without an extra outfit, wipes, burp cloths, recieving blankets, even diapers. THE WORST.

    2. Is that second photo your wedding rings? If so, envy strikes.


    3. I just about cried on Sunday night playing wii with evan because I was winning table tennis (5 games in a row) and then he started smoking me. I am the most competitive poor sport ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh I always forget to repack the diaper bag. The worst offense is burp clothes....not something you want to forget when you have the biggest spit upper ever. My husband actually sat in the little Target cafe one afternoon and had to use napkins. Oops. At least he was resourceful.

    As for outifts, I never pack an extra...your story is making me think I should. We've never had a leak or a blow out (knock on wood) so it doesn't cross my mind to bring one. If anyone needs an outfit change when out, it's usually me...from getting spit up on...when I've forgotten to bring burb cloths. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't Lightroom fabulous? I love it. LOVE. I still use Photoshop for certain edits, but LR is my go to. And I think your edits look nice. As long as you're enjoying it, what else matters?

    Love the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, yeah. I'm terrible at repacking the diaper bag. Worst mom moment ever was a bad diaper and then realizing I had NO diapers. Thankfully, my brother ran to the store to get me some. How I didn't check first baffles me.

    The photo edits look good. And like Jess said, as long as you're having fun and like it, that's all that matters. SO jealous you got Lightroom! I'm still having to use the cheapo free Picnik for any of my edits. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what kind of lens did you use for your macro settings? I cannot get mine to focus up that close but I don't have a macro lens. do you?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, I have totally had that diaper bag moment. In fact, we had it on Christmas...only I went to the diaper bag and was like, "Um babe, where are the wipes?!" It was not the most fun day, having to use washcloths.

    And I'm also a poor sport at games...last night, I got super snippy at Justin while we were playing Blokus...and he totally won like five pieces in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know nothing about lightroom or photography, but I know all about explosions and mom-fails related to diaper bags. K needed a new diaper at the doctor's office the other day, and I had NO wipes in the damn diaper bag. What kind of mom am I?!

    And, please tell me more about those rings? They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your necklace! It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! I love the pics! Great job on the editing :)

    Emeline is just precious! I got a Mac for Christmas so I'm back to the blogging world :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't feel bad Katie with my SECOND child I forgot his diaper bag to his first pediatricians appointment & had to send my hubby for it. Of course he had a blow out there & I had nothing until they called us back. It was a nightmare!!! I was a second time Mom that was VERY embarrassed to say the least.
    I would be the same way if i had gotten Lightroom..or any photo editor. You have learned alot quickly. :)
    I love the necklace Declan got you it is just perfect! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally feel ya on the Wii! I'm surprised that Kev still wants to play against me after the pout parties I throw! We now try to stick to games that we can play as a team instead of against each other :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those gifts are great! How fabulous! So... I have to say, thank goodness you threw the onsie away! I see people everyday who keep the poop stained clothing and I'm like really....that's a tosser.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The photos look great and I love the necklace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As long as you are having fun taking pictures and editing, who cares what anyone else thinks! If you like them, that's all that matters.

    Love your necklace. Super cute.

    ...and have you tried moving up a size in diapers to combat blowouts? I swear by it now. S had blowouts several times as a baby, until I realized to move her up to a bigger diaper when it would start to be a semi-blow... E has never had one. I think bigger diapers are the key (they just go up higher on their back/belly).

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have had no time to sit down with light room. i am scared of it ha ha !!! love your necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful gift!!! Good Declan! Love it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete