Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Crevices

I'm writing through this with heavy, heavy eyes, and the feeling that a brick smacked me in the face this morning. It's totally unfair to have the feeling of a hangover without the night of fun prior. Y'know what I'm saying? Yea. It's that bad.

Yea. Last night wasn't good.

Trying to break your kid of what you think are habits totally sucks. Let's just put it that way.

Anyway.

Tomorrow is the husband's birthday. And you better bet your butt I'll write about him in some fashion tomorrow. I haven't yet figured out if it's going to be all mushy-like...or what. But, something. There will be something. He's too good of a guy/husband/dad to not get an awesome birthday-blog-acknowledgement.

I've been staring at a pile of paperwork on my kitchen island since prior to Christmas. I told myself that I'd give myself a little Christmas break. You know? Get back to it after the Holidays. Ummzzz yea. About that. Still totally there. I will get to it, I swear. [For the record, its not bills and such, all our bills are paid online and thankthelord the amazing husband does all that stuff.]

Yesterday, Emeline and I were running a few errands. We happened to be at Babies-R-Us, cruising the clearance shoe aisle. I have such issues finding shoes I like for her and that stay on. [and sohelpmeGod if anyone tells me to buy Robeez for the umpteenth time I may just die. Am I the only one on the planet that doesn't think they're that cute? The boots are the one thing I kindof like. I digress...] 

Anyway.

She apparently was LOVING the shoe section (what a girl)....because, I saw some flailing hand motions going on and looked in the stroller...and GIRL WAS CLAPPING. I mean, you know, baby clapping. Baby clapping is basically when they at least attempt to put their two hands together, making NO noise whatsoever (and sometimes missing the other target-hand, but who cares! she's clapping!), but making their moms all sorts of weepy, because, milestones! another milestone! 

And yes, I whipped out my phone and started recording her first unprovoked attempt at clapping in the aisles of BRU because, dude--memories. And? We *had* to show her daddy.


At the suggestion of a few of you lovely peeps, I may have also bought some of those ugly bibs with the food catcher thingy at the bottom.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

26 comments:

  1. Aww love the clapping! We have some ugly bibs like that. The plastic-y ones. Really though, all bibs are ugly. We sometimes have to put them on Coop throughout the day because of the amount of drool that kid produces and it ruins his outfit. I'm sure he hates it :) Have you ever looked at pedipeds shoes? They have SOME cute boy ones, never looked at girls. We have hand me downs, so not sure about price, but I like em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the clapping. My sweet babes is only 3 weeks old (wow, I can't believe that already) and I cannot wait until she does these things! Your daughter is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I have started making pocket bibs for Livvy. They are super easy to make and you can find any kind of fabric that you like. I like to use flanel and just trace a bib you like the size of and add a pocket, super easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen clapping that cute in my life.

    She is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robeez are AWFUL! Awful.

    ...and those ugly pocket bibs are amazing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! One very good argument for the iphone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, clapping!! SO CUTE.
    I hate those ugly plastic bibs and refuse to buy them. I don't care how practical they are. But Noah did live in the cotton ones for the first 6 months of his life (he was a spitter-upper).
    Sorry for the rough nights. We're about to break Noah of needing his bottle before bed (and getting rid of the bottle altogether... I know, I'm late), and I'm NOT looking forward to it.
    I'd never heard of those shoes, so I had to google them. I didn't look at the girls ones, but there were a couple boy pairs that weren't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a difficult time finding shoes for my daughter. She was an early walker at 9 months and needed some support from shoes. Unfortunately, she has very narrow feet and her ankles were so little. I gave up the fight and bought expensive Stride Rites. Now that she is a toddler, the shoes fit her better. Good luck on the shoe hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love her precious little clapping! SO cute :) Happy early birthday to the husband!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kid claps? So what? Quit your bragging. Bahahaah I kid. I kid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That video is TOO cute!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww! so cute!
    I'd love to know how your 'breaking bad habits' I'm assuming sleep habits? My girls a Champion in the (no) sleep department... we should share ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, and for the record... I totally agree that robeez are not the cutest shoe out there, but they seriously stay on and are great for crawling and standing! LOL ;)
    My SIL gave us a bunch from her girls. So my kid HAD to wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cutie?

    Are you trying to get her to sleep through the night or what habit are you trying to break her of?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was supposed to be a ! not a ? at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah so cute! I'm glad you got it on video to share:) Shoes...are hard. I'm also very picky. It really seemed to get easier about 10 months or so, when she fit into a size 4. What size is Emeline? Kirsten is a 5 now! I'm tweeting you a link now to a brand I like...See Kai Run. That's what she wore at that age. Kind of expensive but a brown pair and a pink pair got us through:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, so cute!!

    And I totally agree with you about Robeez. There was a pair of lady bug ones that I kinda liked, but only kinda. Not $34 worth though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Try finding boy shoes that are somewhat cute that don't look like orthotic grandpa shoes. Bibs? I love the plastic kind.. wash in the sink, hang to dry, repeat. No extra laundry to do. Clapping? SO stinkin cute! Connor doesn't clap but he does like to slap my hand with his or when he is ornery... slap my face. We are working on manners but it is hard to get them through to a 7 month old!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uh Oh, what are you trying to break her of? If it's the pacifier please don't tell me about it. Ethan takes one now - all the time - and we're going to start breaking him of it soon (as soon as I can handle it). :)

    Cute video!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard good things about See Kai Run and Pedipeds, but my little mister is only four months so currently we are still doing just socks.

    What are you trying to break Miss E of? I am curious. Is it waking up at night? Because at our house we have that EXACT problem. I am curious to know how it's working...or not...for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the clapping so so cute.. and I so should try some of those catching bibs.. avin drops everything.. but i have ordered all her bibs on etsy just so they are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. fixed it.

    Well, I am back at work full time and have been since for two months so the night waking is ridiculous. My sister in law had her baby four days before me and her baby has been sleeping thru the night for 2 months now without issue. I mean we are talking like ten hours. WTHeck?

    Camden wakes at night to eat, but then goes a better part of the morning NOT eating. His schedule is all screwy and btw daycare and me being sleep deprived I can't figure out how to fix it.

    I read somewhere at six months you can transition night milk to water and then they will quit waking for water. If we still have that problem then, I will be trying that one. Does Miss E wake to eat, or just wake?

    It sucks we correlate being a good parent with how well our baby sleeps through the night...

    Anyway I am interested in hearing your stories. Love your blog, I feel like it mirrors so much of my life...

    ReplyDelete
  23. That baby is precious! Love that she learned how to clap!

    ReplyDelete