Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Segments of my brain.

I realized this morning as I laid Emeline up on the changing table what a creature of habit we become. Or, I have become.

This was right after I walked into her room and saw her pacifier (she only plays with it, doesn't use it. sigh.), little stuffed owl, and blanket all thrown on the floor of her room from her crib. She now stands up in her crib, holds onto the railing, and throws everything out. This starts already? Really?

Anyway.

I laid her on the changing table the wrong way. Well, for me anyway. Like, her head was to my right. I felt all backwards and out of sorts, because, I prefer her head to be on the left of the changing table. My hands? They just function better in diaper-changing-mode when she's laying MY way. 

Does that make me weird?

So I had to pick her up and flip flop her to the other side. Because my lazy, tired, morning brain just doesn't do diaper changing that way.

**
These two are like bff's...they have a secret pact or something.
She feeds the dog now. As in, every time she's in her high chair he is sitting right down below staring up at her. She grabs a handful (or sometimes just one) of puffs/yogurt melts/turkey/chicken whatever the heck she's eating, leans over the side, and he meets her hand. 

They are sneaky like that.

Yesterday? At the mall, while we were eating lunch, she was in her stroller munching on some snacks like a big girl. I watched her take a puff and just chuck it on the floor. I'm sure she was expecting a little 12lb dog to come along and eat it. I had to tell her 'no'. And of course, she has no idea what I mean.

This is my life, people.

**


I went roller-skating last night. Like, OLD SCHOOL ROLLER SKATING. My sister-in-law's 30th birthday party was there (yes, I said 30, NOT 13.) and it was FUN. It really, really was.  

I was scared to death to put skates on. I hadn't done it in forever, as our rink has been closed for a long time and was just recently reopened again. I literally felt like I was on ice. I was skeered. 

However, it was totally one of those things that you DO get used to again surprisingly. It was a blast. And yes, I woke up kind of sore this morning. What does that make me? No, really? Is that lame? 

**

And that? That's all I got. Apparently I don't even have the brain power to put together a decent post this morning.

**

Happy Tuesday!

25 comments:

  1. This REALLY makes me want to take a trip to our skating rink that’s been around forever! I seriously have not been there in years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this sounds a bit lame, but how COOL is it that you can teach her so many more things now that she is understanding/interacting more. There is a little person growing there.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I totally wanna have a I'm turning 30 skating party! That's AWESOME! Thankfully, I just turned 26 so I have plenty of time to plan... unfortunately, our only skating rink is pretty ghetto and scary. :-/ Still, such an awesome idea!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get sore just bowling on the Wii! Connor throws all 5 pacis out of his crib, too. And pulls the bumper down so he can see out. Totally with you on facing the same way changing a diaper. Sometimes I do it the opposite way just to challenge myself and make myself feel like a champion of the world to accomplish it. No joke. Toodles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I hope when we have kids that Eve Belle and the kids love each other like this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude - when Evan baths Evalyn and takes her into her room to get lotioned, dipaered and PJed he always says "Am I putting on her PJs or are you?" Why? Because it makes a difference which way he lays her on the changing table! It's because I am left handed and he is right handed. I have to have her head to my right. Evan has to have it to his left. I'm assuming you're right handed, too, since you said you want her head to your left. I am the same when I bath her - she lies the opposite way in the tub as when Evan does. And, we both always change her around if the other person puts her the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the picture of Em and Mac! So sweet! Our poor yorkie just runs the other way from swatting hands and squealing babies.... She does not think he is cool, at all! He does feed her (and our other dog!) from his high chair though, and thinks it's hilarious when we tell him no...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such sweet pics. We had a roller skating event for our sorority a few years ago, so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, I've never even thought about turning C the other way on the table. His head HAS to go to my left- that's it! That picture of Eme and Mac is too sweet. I love watching C develop this little friendship with Sheepie- he's always "talking" to him and sticking his hands in his face for kisses.. LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally with you on the diaper changing thing. Head has to be on the left. I just can't do it the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It never even occurred to me until now of course that you could even put her head the other way... my brain doesnt work like that... actually I take that back there was a while in the beginning we had to change her like that because she was born with torticollis and it would force her to stretch her neck.... but after that was over I never even thought of it again...

    O the babies/doggie friendships its a beautiful thing, hence the pic on my blog yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those Eme and Mac pictures. So precious! Babies and animals are just so darn cute and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a head-to-the-left changer, too! It's too hard for me to wipe away all that lovely poop off the boy bits with my left hand. Oh, and I have the best roller skating memories. Our local roller rink had a monthly Christian skate night with *couple skates* and my friends and I spent hours primping for them! Lame, but true!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay...she's standing in her crib!!! Big girl, big girl!!!

    Changing the lovies...their head has to be on the RIGHT!!! Total south paw here!!! Everything for my IS backwards!!! LoLoL!!!

    Goodness....what fun you must have had last nite!!! That sounds sooo COOL!!!

    PS: Are there pics?!?!?

    <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I worked at the middle school, our PE dept did a roller skating unit one time and I rocked out some skates.

    Through the halls.

    No, really.

    Most fun I ever had at that job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh roller skating! That takes me back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohmygosh! I can't imagine changing a diaper with the baby's head on the right side! So.Awkward! I work in the infant's room at work, and I change ~3,496 diapers a day, and the heads ALWAYS go on the left side. :) And roller skating as in real roller skates or rollerblades? I was never able to roller skate, but i loved me some rollerblades back in the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I nannied, I had to have the baby's head to the left, too. I even thought it was awkward changing her from her feet side like her parents did sometimes.

    Rollerskating sounds like fun! Last year I subbed for an adapted P.E. teacher during a rollerskating unit. The regular gym teacher handed me a pair of skates and told me to just skate with the 2 special needs kids. It was so much fun, but it's SO different than rollerblading (which I do now and then). The kids laughed at me because I was so shaky at first!

    ReplyDelete
  19. For the first 4 months of T's life, she was in a harness for hip dysplasia, so we changed her on the floor and instead of from the side (like most changing tables), we changed her long-ways -- As in her feet closest to us and her head away from us. Now, two plus years later, I still struggle changing her in public places when I have to do it from the side. (Thankfully we're doing really well with potty training, so hopefully I'll be done with it soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely cannot change a baby unless their head is at my left hand. I'm so primarily right handed that if I tried to do it the other way I'd end up with a hand in poo or something.

    ReplyDelete
  21. No, the direction Em is in makes total sense when diapering ;)

    And Parker does the same thing with our pup . . not sure who loves it more Sparty or Parker?!? But now P teases the dog when we really likes eating something and will stick his hand out like "See what I have . . you can't have it!" Oh silly :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love watching them eat. The thought process while shoveling food into their tiny little mouths is so funny. I giggle a bit when O tries and after all efforts misses her mouth. I know I'm a bad mother for laughing at her.

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. i LOVE roller skating!!! and not lame at all for waking up sore...it's so many muscles that you don't use much! when i went ice skating last year, the next day i was hobbling like a little old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am the same way when changing diapers!

    And, I L O V E rollerskating!!! I went a couple years ago as a "chaperone" for my school's senior trip - I was out there the whole time. Brings back memories...;)

    ReplyDelete