Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Work with what ya got.

After the holiday buzz died off a little--we realized our daughter had accumulated a good deal of toys. Honestly, I was feeling a little bad about the fact that she didn't have much to play with, so when Christmas came around, my family took care of that. Hey, that's what families are for, right?

And seriously? Toys (especially at these developmental ages) are good for them. Books? Those are great too. We love toys and books. Anything to keep the wheels a turnin'.

After Christmas, the toy situation (and addition of more books which we also asked for) was solved.

BUT.

We had a big problem.

You see, we live in a townhouse. Nothing huge. No fancy "playroom". No room or closet we can just stuff a bunch of toys in or whisk our kid(s) away to in efforts to keep the rest of the house clean.

No sir-ee. 

We needed space to store toys. Space for some of her books. Space for her to sit (in the future) and color, play with play-dough, or whatever. 

No extra room available. But, we had a vacant'ish corner. After the Christmas tree came down, we decided not to put back up the tv tray end table, and decided we'd get a toybox instead.

And? That weird little cut out nook is used for NOTHING. So, we decided to turn it into something useful, which also includes a place to store some books. 


Now before you go and think I'm insane--I do realize that my 8 month old can't quite sit on a chair yet. But, while we were at Ikea, we figured we'd just get the cute little table that fits oh so nicely in there. Besides, I'm not sure yet if I'm keeping the table in there or not. I'm contemplating stuffing some pillows in the nook instead and making it a cozy reading corner. 

[Please ignore that ugly white cord that I just drew attention to. That will NOT remain like that, I swear.]

See that cute print in there? Lovessss it. My brother got it for Emeline as a Christmas gift and its part of an artists limited print-set. I wasn't quite sure where we'd put it, but voila! perfecto. 


Isn't it precious?


And my little pants-less girlie is enjoying the space already. During the day, that whole area looks like a huge bomb of toys went off. But it's so nice to tuck them away in that cute little toybox during naptimes and before bedtime to re-gain the semi-clean look again.

[Andddd--we don't normally keep our curtain like that but our little booger likes to tug at them. So, I had to hide the ends of them behind the toybox. I know, it's tough being this brilliant.]

***

So, we made do with the space we have.  What do you think?


happy monday!

37 comments:

  1. Love it Katie, Mom Mom can't wait to come and play!! Yay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative use of space. Love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I love the "desk" there, it fits perfectly:) Where did you find the toybox?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. It looks adorable! I've always done that for my kiddos, and it was so nice for them to have their little space.

    Of course, now that I have so many of them, they've sort of taken over everything. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute and functional! I love your wall color btw... and that dog she is playing with is AWESOME! I recently got that for a friends baby on her 1st birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really?! That is awesome! You are so creative and it is too cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the paint color in that room, its very relaxing. We raninto the same thing after Christmas.. now we must set out to find a toybox to keep everything in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute! I love the shelves with the books lined up, looks like a library. And honestly? Sam got a table & chairs set when she had just turned a year and we had to put it away for a few (like 6) more months because she liked to stand on it and it was 7 kinds of dangerous. So I totally like the thought of getting a bunch of pillows and making it a cozy little nook. Either way, love it! Love getting ideas from you :)

    And? You reminded me that Santa was supposed to bring a toy chest and he FORGOT. To target I go...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noah has that little dog too! lol.

    Very cute! I have an old toy chest I'm supposed to be getting from my mom at some point that we're going to use for Noah... and I can't wait!
    Love the nook! Very clever! She's going to love that little chair when she's older. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute.

    She will LOVE that little chair/table in a few months. S got a little table/chair set for her 1st birthday and fell in love with it. At almost 2.5, she still loves it.

    Another option, and super cute/trendy are Little Reader chairs. They are soft, cozy and cute. Both my girls love theirs. You can find them on Amazon. They are great for reading corners - and bonus, you can shove a few books in the side of the chair for extra space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that little nook! I saw that same table at our IKEA and wished my kids were still little enough to enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks awesome.. turned out really well! She will love the area!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that little nook, it's just her size!

    And I love those shelves - did you get those at Ikea too?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heart IKEA! They have the best stuff there...that nook is perfect for her:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I LOVE it! We have been struggling with the toy situation too. Unfortunately we don't even have an empty corner! I'd like to get him a toy box, but for now, we have them all stuffed into a plastic tote in a corner :)

    And we are hoping to get a book shelf (We had built in's in our last apartment, so we didn't need shelves in the living room!) and I am planning on putting all of his books on the lowest shelf, but for now, they are in his room on a shelf.

    I bet as little miss Emeline grows she will LOVE this space! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! I have an awkward space like that in my house ... I have a plant there, but I like that you used the walls for storage ...Good thinking!! :)

    PS- I like that color on your walls - purdy, purdy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you got all that stuff for Eme! That little space for her is just too cute! You are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is an awesome use of your space!!! It looks great. I personally love the tiny chair. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks so cute! love the little desk nook :) it won't be long and you really wont be able to get her out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that cute little nook...great job, it looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute!!!!!

    I like the desk! It will be perfect for when she's older and wants to color you suprises :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks so cute! I love the little nook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isn't IKEA wonderful? I wish I could register there. It's a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is that cutest thing. I think you did an amazing job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think this is super cute :) You did a great job with the space and making it kid friendly! She will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a random nook, but perfect for Emeline's needs! The book trays are awesome too! Very good idea-and where did you get that toy chest? Do share pls!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am a huge fan of using every possible inch for storage without LOOKING like you are using every possible inch for storage.

    Plus? Your townhouse appears to be way cute.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. seriously, the stuffed owl is precious! i want a cute little toy/book corner for myself now =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE, really stinkin' love those little bookshelves. Those are beyond precious. Lovin' the nook altogether. I secretly love little nooks like that that seem completely and utterly pointless but then become something crazy and practical and adorable.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks awesome. I am already at a loss wondering where the heck I'm going to keep all of E's toys. Our place is SO tiny. I need an extra corner like that!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the corner.

    Love the table.

    Love the shelves.

    Love the print.

    I want a little corner like that to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OHHHH MYYY! How gooorgous! I love love love the area with the books and the table! It is so amazing! What an amazing way to inspire all types of learning!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The book nook is such a great idea! And it definitely fits in the little space you have.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Super cute! You are very creative!

    ReplyDelete