Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Breastfeeding. It helps to know...


I'm one of those moms.

I actually enjoy breastfeeding.

But, was that always the case? Heck no. My sore, cracked, I'mGonnaDieWhenSheLatches nipples would have told you otherwise. 

I also went through a phase around 5-6 months where I wanted to quit. Bad. Something inside me told me to keep going, and that it'd get better. At that point? I was just annoyed with nursing. It seemed like she was still eating so often, and that my boobs were just gonna fall off. 

For the record, they didn't. They are still fully in tact and I'm glad for that.

My baby girl turns 10 months old next week and nursing is so easy now. Not only easy, but I like it. I really, really do. 

I guess when you have a baby who's on the verge of walking and crazy mobile, you learn to soak up any time they'll lay still in your arms. 


I think you should know that I wasn't a die-hard-passionate-breast-is-best person. Ever. Prior to having her? I hardly thought much of it at all. I knew I wanted to try it out and the benefits of it, and that was it. I hadn't even looked at books about it, or done much research. The shame. 

However, once she was born--this insane instinct took over and I did begin to realize that breastfeeding was best for us. So, despite hardships (and goodness, there are hardships), I decided I would keep on trucking along as best as I could. And if it continued to work? Then, I'd continue at it.

The truth was this: I didn't over think it. Part of that comes with my pretty laid back personality. If it works, it works. If it didn't? I would try not to beat myself up over it.

Sometimes, though--I think we can get too in our head about it. We over-worry, which then can lead to stress, which then can lead to milk production issues. A vicious cycle, indeed.

So here are some things that as a 1st time mom, I'd find pretty helpful if I knew...

6 comments:

  1. In response to what you said below...I tried bf my baby girl and I didn't produce much and she just wasn't patient. I soon realized that pumping was my option and we supplemented for her. When I went back to work after 6 wks I stopped pumping all together since I was starting to get so stressed about bf! My Dr told me that I should enjoy it and not feel like it is a chore..I was that mom that took my breast pump with me even to the mall :) Well I think I actually thought that I'd be able to bf without a problem..oh well maybe if we are blessed with a second baby...thanks for sharing!

    "The truth was this: I didn't over think it. Part of that comes with my pretty laid back personality. If it works, it works. If it didn't? I would try not to beat myself up over it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much for this post. My baby girl is just a month old & it is so encouraging for me to read your words. I feel like so far my experience is similar to yours. Baby Girl nurses every 1.5-2 hours (sometimes hourly) during the day. She also doesn't want to latch on deep enough every time so I have been experiencing some intense pain at times. We're working on it though. I think breastfeeding requires a great deal of patience & practice, but I feel like it's so worth it! I am grateful to be able to provide for my baby & bond with her in the progress. Thank you for encouraging me along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is reassuring. I'm expecting my first in a couple months, and I'm doing my best to not get too worked up over breastfeeding. Too much to worry about as it is... Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Breastfeeding is freaking hard and I don't think people know enough about it. I so wanted to, but it didn't work for us. I was fine with it (because one more thing we have in common, I'm also pretty laid back) not working, but I did give myself hell for a while over it. I say feed your kid. Kudos to you for telling your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, great post! My boy fed 1.5-2hrly till 4 months and it was hard work. Then when you get the surprised looks upon hearing how often your baby is feeding, like its wrong or something, you feel really crappy. I loved your advice, found myself nodding away in agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog and am happy to have found this - I was the same way...not crazy die-hard about BFing but wanted to try. Our son is 3 weeks and my boobs are killing me but I am determined to move forward b/c I love the time with him. Unfortunately he spits up less after a breastmilk bottle, but I don't want to go to 100% bottles....so thanks for sharing your experience. Now that the time is here and we're in the moment it is so helpful to hear about other moms' experiences.

    ReplyDelete