Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An Interruption from your Regular Programming

Alright, so I hacked in. She doesn’t know it but it’s for her own good. I can’t stay for too long because, you know, she’ll be back soon. So let’s get to it. Oh yea, this is Declan.

It’s April 5th. It’s a special day because I celebrated this day for the past 10 years of my life. 10 years ago I met the most incredible women (girl at the time) and in hindsight, it would change my life forever.



We’ll, not that young. 10 years ago she was a little older than that.


“Katie Witmer” (that’s her maiden name for those who don’t know). She was everything I wanted and I just couldn’t have her. I was a young, punk kid who fell in love. I don’t want to dive too deep into the beginnings of our relationship because I’ll save that for a later post ;)

I was debating whether to write this blog to her as a letter or just write it to her readers. I get the cool privilege of talking one-on-one with her whenever I want so I thought it would be cool to tell you my side of why Kate is so awesome.

…..

In the early stages of our relationship, she made it known that she was completely hooked on me. There was a sense of adoration and loyalty. There was a desire to spend time together. It wasn’t just a relationship, it was more (perhaps that’s why we clicked). The time we spent together was unbelievable. It laid a very solid foundation to our relationship. To this very day, that hasn't changed. I give her credit for all of this. (Keep in mind that I was 15 and she was 17)

It doesn’t stop there. Kate is selfless and compassionate. She was/is there whenever I need her. When people say “you are my rock”, I mean it, that’s her. Solid in every way. If you take a look at a timeline of our relationship (and you will when I write that post) throughout the good and bad times, she’s weathered the storm.

She’s “got my back”. The instinctive nature to protect your loved ones. She’s got that too. Whether it is a bad day at work or a car on the road that cuts me off (she’ll reach over and honk for me!) she’s “got my back”. Similarly, she’s my number one fan. She takes the time to know my heart, what I want to do in life and my goals that I’d like to reach. Those goals become hers as she takes ownership in them. Her sincerity is warming.

She’s cool! Maybe I say that just because we mesh so well but she really is. It’s the times when we go on dates to concerts and sneak into VIP sections because we don’t care! (or that we just didn’t know that it was VIP) Or when we have our movie dates at home that come with popcorn AND beer (can’t have that in a movie theater). Or when we yardsale in the spring and we find awesome vintage things that get us into bigger projects around our house. The list goes on. She’s pretty cool.

Did you guys know she’s an incredible mom!? Holy cow. I’m sure all husbands out there are like “How am I going to be as a dad?” and “How will my wife change in becoming a mom?” Sure, I had them but boy was I blown out of the water. Katie is loving, nurturing and gentle. Her relationship with Emeline is heart melting. Don’t tell anyone but I get emotional sometimes when I see her interact with Emeline. As you can tell, coming from the 14 year old days to now, she has become such an incredible woman. It excites me to think of having more kids with her.

I could go on and on but I have to run before she changes her Blogger password and bans me forever! It’s been fun but let me end on this:

Katie,
 You are my rock, my love, my all. You make me beyond happy and I love seeing us grow as a family. Your strength and resilience is breath taking. Your compassion and selflessness is admirable. You’re incredibly beautiful and I couldn’t tell you enough, but I love you. You say it’s just another birthday but it’s more than that. It’s a reminder for me (and many others) that you make a huge impact in my life and I couldn’t write enough to say it all. Happy Birthday!

Never stop loving you,
  Dec


64 comments:

  1. ahhhhh ok seriously crying over here. you are so sweet declan and i'm so happy my sister has you! you're a pretty cool brother, too!

    happy birthday seeeeeeeeeester!!!! love you! welcome to your late twenties... bahahahahaha!!! (i just don't want to be alone out here. haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels REALLY weird commenting on my own blog. But, you got me. You had me laughing & giggling, and then crying. You're the best. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: you can guest post anytime ;) If you keep it nice. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made my heart smile :) You've obviously got an incredible girl Declan. Happy, happy birthday Katie!!! Hope it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, what an awesome gift to be given! Your precious husband blows my mind on a regualr basis! I am so thankful to call him our son-in-love because we do earnestly love and appreciate him and the way he loves you and our dear Emeline. He is a wonderful husband and father too and is full of surprises for you on a regular basis! Keep up the great work Declan! You are awesome! Happy Birhtday Katie! I don't think there is any gift that we could give you that would surpass this one! You are Blessed and so are we!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet. Happy Birthday, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post Declan! Happy Birthday Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOOOOOOOOOOOO. I have a feeling you two will be getting carry out for Katie's birthday dinner tonight!

    Such a sweet post. It's evident that you two are head over heels in love with each other. I can honestly say that I've learned a lot about living a godly marriage from you two and I haven't even met either of you. Thanks for being a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie You have one amazing hubbie! Thanks for such a sweet and inspiring post Declan!

    Happy Birthday Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet of you Declan! Happy Birthday Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beyond beautiful!!!! You two hold on to each other and NEVER let go.. Y’all are precious!!! :) Happy birthday, Katie!! And here’s to a lifetime of celebrating MANY more birthdays together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a sweet husband. Katie is such a lucky momma and wife. Happy Birthday Katie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Declan wow!!! What a post, what a guy!!! Katie happy bday girl you deserve this special day to be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday girl! What a sweet man you have, I got little warm fuzzies over how sweet this was :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. MELT! Ah. this is so sweet!!!

    happy birthday pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely the sweetest thing ever! What a wonderful husband. Have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Declan, this was a truly awesome post!

    Katie, I'm totally the older one too. Heck yeah for the younger boys/men!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice post. Happy Birthday, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the sweetest thing I've ever read. I love the pictures of the two of you, the love practically jumps off the page into your lap and demands a hug!

    Oh yeah, and I'm crying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. that was wayyyy sweet! awwwwwwwww happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aaaawwwwwwww. So sweet!!! Dec, hope you're enjoying making all of us cry! lol.

    Happy Birthday Katie!!! Have a fabulous day!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Declan is so sweet to write this!
    love the oldie but goodie pictures :) happy birthday again!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super sweet! God Bless you on your bday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How sweet! Happy birthday Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awww, sweetest thing ever!! Happy Birthday Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. omg that was so sweet. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Katie-- How super sweet is this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a sweet husband you have! I love the pictures, especially the bottom set. You guys look so happy. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very sweet! What a wonderful hubby you have.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So, so, so sweet!!

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice job, Dec! Happy birthday sweet sister-in-love!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Birthday beautiful friend!!! What sweet words your hubby surprised you with...you did good Declan ;-) You both are too cute together!!! Hope you have an amazing day...much love

    ReplyDelete
  33. this was so incredibly sweet and romantic. crying my eyes out with the amount of love (could be my hormones?)

    happy birthday katie!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sweetest surprise post ever! Way to go Declan! Happy Birthday Katie! I hope your day is wonderful. But with a hubby that sweet and a baby as adorable as your little girl, it's no doubt that you'll have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Birthday, Katie! Sweet hubby you got yourself there... Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awe Katie sounds like you got a good one =]]
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Aww..Such a sweet post! You two make a lovely couple! Happy Birthday to Katie!!! Wishing you thousands more!! HAPPY Birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy Birthday!!! You got a keeper there! Sweetest post ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just love this! A man like this is irreplaceable...& it sounds like he feels the same about you. Happy Birthday! Enjoy:o) PS: I am a day older than my hubby, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ohmygoodness, this is so sweet! I love your story and your great relationship! What a great birthday surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful post and I loved all the pictures. :) Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ahhh, so sweet!!! Happy happy birthday Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is so sweet and wonderful! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sweetest birthday post ever. I won't lie...I cried at the end.

    Happy Birthday Katie!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Happy birthday! Hope it's wonderful- How could it not be after that post?!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Happy Birthday, love! I am working on a b-day gift for you and if it turns out like it looks in my mind, you should get it next week.

    And Declan-way to go. This one will be hard to top.

    You two are beyond adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Aw. Happy, happy. Hug that husband tight - he's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  48. How sweet is this post :) one you will always love. can't wait for him to guest post more :)

    Happy Happy Birthday Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow. That was just precious! Happy birthday, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Leave it to Linds to steal my thunder.

    By now I'm sure you all have enjoyed your carry out. Hope you finished it all up. :)

    If I hadn't just met Katie in the flesh I would say you two are too good to be true. But I did. So I know she's real and as genuine as I can tell, which means you must be too.


    Happy birthday Katie. And good job Dec. You two are keepers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. I read this post this morning while I was waiting for my doctor at my OB appointment. It totally had me tearing up just as my doc walked in. My doc said "uh oh, are we feeling a little hormonal this morning?" Haha! Hormonal or not, this is WAY super presh!! I hope D gets some major points for this one. :) I also hope you had a wonderful birthday! You totally deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  52. happy birthday katie. you are a blessed girl!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I don't know about all this carry out business...Emeline was delivered by storks.

    Anyways, Declan...well played. Your sincerity is mind blowing. Never doubted your love for my sister. You're the man.

    Sister...happy birthday..even though I already told you over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a sweet post! Hope you had a great birthday! April birthdays are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. umm, ok. Well that was so so amazing Declan! Man, where do i get one of those husbands?? :) Just kidding, mine is doing ok in the nice stakes.
    Happy Birthday to you Katie, you are a wonderful person and mother and friend. Hope your day was fantastic. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  56. WOW! Too sweet for words! Happy Birthday! =)

    ReplyDelete
  57. omg... you got me tearing up at work! lol too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  58. What an amazing post Declan! You brought me to tears! I wish my hubby would do this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. It sounds pretty amazing, what you two have. This was the sweetest post ever.
    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Aww...you two seem like such a great couple.

    What a sweet post from your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  61. What a sweet husband you have Katie. :) This was a great birthday post by him for you!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Just a few tears shed over here .. that was very sweet (:

    ReplyDelete