Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"Dieting" while on vacation & National Swimsuit Confidence Week

I hate the term 'diet'.

Most days, I don't even feel like I do that much different. Maybe that's because this has become such a way of life for me.

I used to roll my eyes at people who used the term "lifestyle change". Seriously? It sounded so lame and a way to stay in denial that dude, you were SO on a diet. 

But now that I'm that person?

I get it. I do.

Because everything about the way I eat has changed. I eat less. And not because I'm forcing myself, too. Because I'm literally full much quicker. I don't have a hard time saying no, turning down mixed drinks, or multiple ice cream outings. 

So while on vacation, I didn't really have a hard time sticking to my plan. Which is probably why I had a successful week, and even managed to still lose a pound. [Read: Success in my book.]

Some people asked me if I still kept track of points while on vacation. The answer is ABSOLUTELY. Since I have my phone, I am never without the ability to keep track, so I have no excuse. Plus? I've been doing it for so long, it's just so much a part of my daily routine, I don't know any different. 

I also dipped very much so into my flex points last week. In fact? I think I had less than 10 left for the week. The only other time I've ever gotten that low was my birthday week.

Since I didn't have much control over the daily meals, I just had to have control over how much I ate. Which was pretty easy. 

I'm learning how much I hate the overly full feeling. It just feels so miserable and gross now. I used to eat every single night that way. Feeling so full I could burst...but not now.

I had a few bites of Declan's ice cream one night, which was enough to satisfy my craving. And one other night, Declan and I got out for a little date night and we shared a small cup of ice cream (two scoops...a scoop for each). It honestly was perfect. 

When I felt a little slighted when everyone else was drinking icy, sugary, mixed, daiquari-type drinks? I'd just get a light beer instead. 

It's doable. You don't have to throw the whole 'diet' out the window just because you're out of town. In fact? I think it gives you something to be even prouder of. Sticking to it while you are on vacation is totally a success in my book. 

And let me just say, it was nice to feel decent in my suit. So what if I'm still curvy? I like my curves. So what if I'm not toned and firm* in places I'd like to be? I still need to celebrate the successes as they come.

So, on this note--I'm joining in on National Swimsuit Confidence Week over at Curvy Girl Guide. I so wish Lands End had sent me a free suit, but, alas. They did not.



I will still join in and say a big HELL YEA to wearing a swimsuit in confidence. Embracing the curves. The thighs (oh.Lord.The.thighs!) Throwing out the moo-moo. And getting in the pool with your kiddies. It's an awesome message, so go over and check it out

And if you join in too and blog about it, leave a comment. I'd love to check it out.

Embracing the curves...

*My husband and I started the 30 day shred challenge this week. Hoping to firm-ourselves up a bit. If all goes well and we succeed? There will be before/after pictures (since, we totally took before pics). 

43 comments:

  1. Hot mama! I love your suit, it's adorable, and you look awesome! I really want to get back into WW but I need to able to afford it again. I've been using My Fit Tracker for the iPhone and it works really well too. I also try to wear my nano as a pedometer to see if I'm walking at least 6000 steps a day. I miss WW though! Props to you for staying on track on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, 1. You look great! 2. Were did you get that suit...super cute! I just realized yesterday that our pool opens this weekend and I don't have a suit to wear. Don't think anyone there would care to see my post-baby flab hanging out :-) And 3. I LOVE THE SHRED! I just started it again this past week when I got the OK from my doctor. Jillian sure knows how to kick your butt, but it's totally worth it!
    P.S. We should totally walk Struble trail or something sometime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot mama!! You look awesome Katie!! I think you and I have similar body types, so I totallyyyyy feel you on the thighs comment! But you're right, we should embrace every part of ourselves. And you are rockin that suit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and perfect for this long memorial day weekend. We are going out of town and dont have much control over the food selection either. It will be hard but im going to try to stay on track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fabulous! I love your confidence....and you should definitely have lots of it because you're gonna rock it this summer! Also, that suit? LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great! Your confidence is bursting through the computer screen! Keep it up girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are smoking hot!! Totally amazing, and way to go for sticking with it on vacay. I suuuuck at that big time. Love your suit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the suit and can't wait to hear about the 30 day shred!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You inspired me to start the Shred, and I have now done it two days in a row (that's big for me! ha). Seriously, my whole body kills, but it's a great kind of feeling, if you know what I mean :) I need to take a picture of myself today, so that I can compare after the 30 days, too! Good luck to you and Declan!

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look good girlie!!

    I'm mostly jealous of the fact that your boobs are actually where they belong. Because mine? In a swimsuit? It isn't pretty.

    Stop harking on your thighs. I think you look perfect. (So says a girl who spent the last ten years learning thigh self-acceptance)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look super cute!!! And there ain't a thing wrong w/ curves. :) (My curves are a bit too, um, large, but i'm getting there!). :) I have a Land's End suit too & i swear, even at my size, i have never felt so comfortable in a bathing suit.

    That is awesome that you did so well on vacation!! We're going June 10th & this condo has a gym (unlike the one we went to last year) so i'm excited about that. I will remain on WW. Although i have to say... tracking is so not convenient all the time... i wish i had it on my phone!!! (I have an old school phone.)

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look awesome! way go go! And!!!! I LOVE THAT SUIT!!!!! SO CUTE!!!!!!! Big HIGH FIVE on your sticking to your 'diet'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look so awesome!!! I totally know how you feel about "thighs" and I don't know if mine will ever change!! Congrats on sticking with your WW!! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look fab! LOve your suit too! Mad props for posting this! Btw dieting on vaca is so hard so the fact that you lost while at the beach should celebrated!! Horray for feeling good at the beach bc when we went in Jan I felt miserable & totally missed out on all the fun bc I didn't even take my suit :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute swimsuit and you look great in it!

    Kudos to you for the way you approached eating on vacation. I knew someone who used to do WW and she brought all her own food on vacation...which might work for her, but I just couldn't help but think that that approach SO wouldn't work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love your suit, its super cute! you've given me confidence that this weekend while i'm out of town i'll be able to stay on track, and on point, and that i have control! thank you!!!
    ps - i love 30 day shred & all of jillian's workouts! good luck with the shred, its a great workout!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Modcloth.com has some adorable retro style swimsuits that are amazing for us curvy girls. :) Way to go for sticking to it during your vacation. That can be so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm about to write a book, hope you're okay with that.;)

    First off, you look WONDERFUL!!!! That suit is perfect for you. Also, I have similar thighs and I've learned to embrace them because they are mine and they are strong and beautiful, just like yours. I used to hate them but no more. Plus, I'm pretty sure my daughter is going to end up with the same ones so I want to make sure she knows to love them too! :)

    And, I know what you mean about the whole lifestyle change thing, I did that with South Beach and it really does change your whole mind-set, even while on vacation. And go you - that's awesome that you lost a pound while away!!

    I recently revisited my post about losing weight where you commented that your A$$ was worth it too and I'm just so proud of you!

    P.S. I kept wondering why I was not seeing all of your posts and then I realized that I did not have you on the blogroll on my blog but I fixed that! :)

    Good for your Katie, you look great and I commend you for posting a pic of yourself in your bathing suit... perhaps you've inspired me to do the same...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look great, my dear! Loving the polka dots!

    I tend to have a different mindset on vacation...that it's a break from reality, and I will never deny myself anything I want to eat. It doesn't mean that I eat everything in front of me 24-7, but it also doesn't mean that I pass things I want because "oh, I shouldn't...."

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look FABULOUS. And good for you for losing a pound on vacation! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE that suit! SO CUTE! I'm a sucker for polka dots!! I'm dreading getting into a suit this summer seeing as I'll be 5, 6, and 7 months pregnant during bathingsuit season... Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kate, You should be be confident,You look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. YOU LOOK FANTASTIIC!!! seriously, you are rocking that suit! way to embrace YOU :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. you look so good!! i also think the best thing about losing the weight is the confidence boost. i love how confident you are! it's doing the same to me :) keep it up girl.. you are doing fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look amazing! Love that suit!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the suit! You look A-mazing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I also participated! You can find my post here: http://spaghettiosandvicodin.blogspot.com/2011/05/sex-on-beacha-psa.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look great mama! And you're such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. That suit really flatters you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look great and I can tell you feel great too! That is a cute suit!

    ReplyDelete
  31. you look fabulous! Honestly, it's about feeling good in your skin and you exude that now.

    Also where did you get the adorable suit top??

    ReplyDelete
  32. Simply amazing! You've got guts girl. Quick question: do you track your activity points for the shred and if so how?!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Simply amazing! You've got guts girl. Quick question: do you track your activity points for the shred and if so how?!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Simply amazing! You've got guts girl. Quick question: do you track your activity points for the shred and if so how?!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Simply amazing! You've got guts girl. Quick question: do you track your activity points for the shred and if so how?!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Major kudos for losing weight on vacation! That's awfully impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  37. you look fabulous! I adore your bathing suit.. polka dots are my fave!!! Good for you sticking to it while on vacation. that can always be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  38. LOVE your suit. I'm gonna do this next week, even if I'm ridiculously late.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You look great! Love the suit.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome job!! I love your suit. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete