Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

From drab to fab. My collage wall. Almost. Sort of. Not really finished.

I've been dying to do a collage wall in my house. Honest. But, I was nervous, and couldn't figure out where on earth to put it in my house now. It seemed that all space was occupied already, and anything extra would see forced.

I wanted it to feel fabulous. And fun. And tell a story of us. 

I also wanted it to be light. Nice, bright, white picture frames. No more dark needs to be added to the room.

The other day, it clicked to me that between the two windows in my living room is a perfect place for a collage wall. All I had to do was remove one wrought-iron decor piece & it was a perfectly blank slate. Not to mention, its one of the best walls in the house for prime-viewing. Honest.

But, wow. How bare & sad it looked. And why hadn't I thought of this space before? (smacks head)


So, on Saturday, we headed to Ikea. First of all, we love Ikea and sometimes head there on random weekends just to browse & peruse. Yes, we find going to Ikea as a perfectly acceptable (and also moderately exciting) weekend outing. Don't judge. 

When I hit the section of picture frames, I was like a kid in candy store. I was tucking frames up under my arms and then found a little free corner, and kneeled (yes, kneeled) on the ground "assembling" a little collage-set-up.

You see, I suck at prep stuff. I figured I could do it right then and there. And you know what? It actually worked out pretty good.

Eleven frames and a bunch of other random Ikea odds-n-ends later, we were home.

It was just me & the wall. 

I knew now, though, that it would take more planning. So this is when I went with the Young House Love  system of prepping a collage wall. 

Newspaper/advertisement hanging. Works every time. No really, it works like a charm.


As I was working, I'd move & tweak it, move & tweak until I came up with positioning of exactly how I wanted it. 

And seriously? It couldn't have gotten any easier. I think I only have one random hole behind one of those frames that was unwanted shockingly enough.

And so, ta-da!

Yes, that's all my crap on the arm of the sofa. Yes, I was excited to take the picture & didn't even care to clean it up. So sue me.

And that "B" monogram is obviously for our last name. It was one I had in my craft room but stole it because it looked perfect here & was a great way to break up the frames a bit.

So here's where we're at right now with the wall.


Finished?

Nope. 

In fact, only 5 out of 14 spaces are filled. The truth is, I don't want to rush to fill it with things I don't really love. Or photos that don't have a lot of meaning. Also? I need to get some things printed. 

So yes, I'm showing you an unfinished collage wall. 

It's still yet to be determined if the rest will be filled with photos, or if they'll be more prints. 


The two prints shown were made by me, on a whim, yesterday afternoon. As in, I whipped them up in 10 seconds, and I'm still unsure of them. Plus, I'm so not a designer. They are more like place holders if I'm being honest.

But, what do you think so far? 


Surely, it's an upgrade from before. I'll be sure to update on the finished product. At some point. Don't hold your breath.

***

Happy Monday!


39 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I'm thinking of doing something similar on a wall in my house and I like your idea of breaking it up with the B and a few prints and a shelf. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I especially love that you stuck the 'B' in there. It looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks great, katie! i love the white frames- bold, yet not overbearing like darker frames! it looks SO good! can't wait to see them filled with precious prints! i always forget about the wonders of IKEA- probably because the nearest one is about an hour away.. Sads! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it!! I especially love the white frames! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! can i admit ... *whispers* ive never been to ikea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that. I like the idea of the hanging frames mixed in with the little shelf of frames. I wouldn't have thought to try that. Really cool! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it Katie! I've wanted to do something like this on one of our walls for awhile now... But I still haven't had time to paint the living room and do what I want with it. So it's just another idea in my head.
    I almost got a little tear reading about your trips to Ikea.. the closest one we have is like 9-10 hours away.. I've never been to one before. I randomly look at there stuff online.. but that just frustrates me because have the stuff I want I can't order.. I can't wait till I can finally go to one. I have a mile long wish list from there! :)
    Happy Monday!
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is turning out so nice! I love the placement of them. This is on my to do list for this month too. Lets see how much of it I actually get done. I am going to have the hardest time picking what goes in them. Too many cute pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So smart of you to lay it out at IKEA. I bet you even measured the space before you left the house. :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it so far.. makes me want to do a few of my walls. I really need to get better at printing and hanging images. So much bare walls in my house :(.. Love love it! Can't wait to see all the frames full.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I've been wanting to do several collage walls (we have the opposite problem... too much empty space), but I haven't attempted it quite yet. Thanks for the tips though. We have an Ikea not far from here. I may be making a trip sometime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love it, it looks great! I want to do something like this also!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OHHHHHH! I love it! LOVE IT! Can't wait to see it in person!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh I love love love this idea! It looks so great. How about you come over to my house and fix me up one of those :) Hope your weekend was fabulous. Oh, and I just about died when you posted that pic of Eme with pig tails...sweetest thing EVER! Happy Monday, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE collage walls and you did AWESOME!! I love all the white against your blue walls! So pretty :)

    And I like those prints you made too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Work! Looking Good already. Pls. Post the aftermath! can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute! Love the "B" and the frames on the little shelf. So cute. I think the prints are a good idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's looking good kAtie. I'm with ya those Wallace take time to plan it all out so it is better to do it right and in steps then to just throw it all up on a wall. I love how you angled it on the left to go around the lamp! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it looks great, and I love your prints!

    I have a half-finished collage wall of vacation photos that I really need to finish up and blog about.

    ReplyDelete
  20. very well done and well on your way

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of a collage wall! I think yours turned out really great, especially with the last name initial! Neat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. love it. and you totally just inspired me to change out some of the pictures on my wall. they are WAY outdated.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! Im working on something very similar! (Saturday morning scene post) :) Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1- We love IKEA! We could spend forever in there and typically do since we have to drive up to ATL (4 hours) to go to one.

    2- I love the wall! So pretty and bright. I like the print too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks Good! I'm attempting something very similar! ..I just need more frames :) I never thought about going to Ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it! We did that with our main living room wall a few months ago, and everyone comments on how much they love it. Seen here

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm inspired! I'd love to try this on a wall in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your wall! You did a great job! So good that now I want to do my own wall!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks awesome. Really. And will you take me to IKEA someday? Pretty please? I've always wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like it...no love it! my two favs is the B and the katie and declan..est 2007. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Katie it looks amazing! I am a sucker for a great collage wall! My fav wall in our house is a collage wall of black frames. LOL! I still have empty frames and it has been up a lot longer than yours! I am slightly jealous you have an IKEA that you can just go to for browsing. The closest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away...it always has to be scheduled to go there! Any whoo...fabulous wall girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, the wall looks great. I think you have sparked some inspiration over here. My husband thanks you. The decorating is never done around here.

    Take Care,
    Lisa

    P.S. E is looking ever so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  33. im obsessed with YHL. I'm doing the same exact system. I think your prints look great and the wall now looks complete (sort of) ;) Can't wait to see with all the gorg picsies of E!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the final finished product :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love it! It looks amazing so far!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love it! I've got a wedding collage with black Ikea frames in our dining room but I love the shelf part of yours. We need to add that.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ah! Katie, so funny! I saved that EXACT YHL post because the wall idea is our birthing day project! When I go into labor and we're just hanging out at home before we head to the birth center, that's one of the things we're going to work on to keep us busy. So fun! Your wall already looks FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  38. that does look really great, sorry I'm just now responding i'm catching up on all missed blogs today! I love the white shelves and the initial!

    ReplyDelete