Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Highchair.

I go to this one park with Emeline. It has pretty walking trails, a cute little pond, and even a baby swing. 

Yep, just one.

Down by the pond there are little outlets in the woods, with benches. 

Last summer, when Emeline was just a wee little chickadee, we were sitting out on a blanket down near the woods at this park. I kept staring into the wooded areas thinking, This would make an awesome photo op. I could picture it. Balloons. Highchair. Adorable kid. Perfection.

But, 1st birthday photo shoot seemed so...far...away. I'm learning that the concept of time is on fast-forward once you have kids. I don't know who hit that button, but I'd like it to slow down to a normal pace, pleaseandthankyou.

Fast forward (this time, fast-forwarding allowed) now to March. My sister mentions to me that she finds this amazing wooden highchair on Craigslist that would be perfect for me to paint & redo according to my picture vision. She contacted the seller. It was available. There was a little bit of back forth. A week or two went by. I then contacted him. An email. Then a call. Then I finally get an email that he sold it

I was bummed. Wait, no, that's an understatement. Slightly devastated. 

I had scoured Craigslist and couldn't find another one available within a 45 minute drive. For some reason, I rationalized that 45 minutes would be my distance-cut-off time. You know, as to not appear that I've gone that mad over something as silly as a highchair. 

But then, I wised up. Or dumbed down, I guess you could stay.

I started searching mis-spellings, and different combos of the words. Go figure. Bloop. Up pops a ton of options. 

A few emails & calls later, I was on my way to pick up The Highchair. Just me and Emeline. On a random weekday. So, on my way there, I made a phone call to my friend Jess, and told her that if she didn't hear from me within the next few hours that I'd ended up at the craigslist killer's house, and to send out the forces.

Luckily, it was just a nice older lady with two crazy dogs. Both me and Emeline got out alive, with The Highchair on board with us. All was well.

Score.

So, did you know that cute little sunshine yellow highchair was actually the most boring-drab-outdated-blah-looking thing before? Oh you did? Well let's pretend you didn't. You know, so you can really appreciate the WOW factor. [Or the fact that I ruined a new pair of jeans with spray paint. Have a permanent crick in my finger from spraying. And have bruised knees from kneeling on the hard deck too long while spraying. But, I digress.]

Drumroll....


Oh, say hi to Mac in the bottom left corner. He is so nosy when new things come into the house, or, in this case onto the deck.

Amazing what some sun yellow spray paint can do, yea? I'm so happy with the way it turned out. It looked so cute & was worth it to haul into the woods for a 1st birthday photoshoot. And it will be the highchair she uses on Saturday for SmashCake101. 

And maybe, just maybe I envision all my future children reliving this highchair scene, each with their own color scheme, perhaps. Just perhaps.

Anyway. Let's see some more pictures.



that face? my favorite.




Sigh. What a fun little photo prop, that also has some function. Two functions, actually. One, to use for the birthday party smash cake fun. And Two, to keep little un-shoesied babies out of that-could-possibly-be-poison-ivy grounds. 

Hey. Whatever works.

Happy Thursday!

39 comments:

  1. I love the yellow hat! The chair is adorable, but the hat steals the show in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over these pictures! And I love when something older and drab is painted a really bright shiny color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go look at an apartment last night, that I found on Craigslist and I sent the same text to my boyfriend and best friend. Love the pictures- can't believe she's a year already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful. Emeline, I mean. :) The highchair looks great too, but she definitely is the reason the whole picture shines. LOVE these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kill me now........... she is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kill me now........... she is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are awesome! I'm surprised you don't do this professionally! (Or do you and I'm just missing it?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just can't over this awesome idea! And I love that you plan to do it for all your children. They will look back and love you forever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is so, so, so unbelievably cute! Happy birthday, Emeline!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute.
    but ... mis-spellings? of "wooden high chair" ??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE IT! SO so cute! You need to start your own photog business. You rock girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love love love it. I got one for Avin 1st birthday but left it white. now it is chipping and really needs a make over! I am thinking green, yellow or blue because I can then use it for boys or girls photo shoots!

    Love all those pictures. She sure is one photogenic baby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are the kind of balloons you see in movies. Really. Where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness - that is adorable! What a cute idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the highchair turned out great! her pictures turned out awesome and she is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was like you plucked that high chair off of my sister's driveway garage sale on Saturday.

    I can't wait for my vision of Connor's one year pictures to be a reality. Squeee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG i love it! So cute and simple enough!!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lord have mercy! That gal! She's SOOOOOO CUTE! And that last pic should definitely go in some sort of contest! Color, high chair, baby....the whole bit! SO STINKING CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE "that face" picture!!! Total cuteness!!!! I like the yellow-ness of the highchair....but I also do like it the original way as well! LoL! Eek....guess I'm old fashioned! Hahaha!

    4 more days Momma!!!!! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. AHHHHH!!!!! I love that high chair SO much!!! My youngest is 2.5, but I want to find a wooden high chair anyways!!! So perfect for photo shoots!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm woking on a blue highchair right now! But, I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone with yellow....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh, that's my highchair!! lol. Well, not REALLY mine, but I had one exactly like it! I think it's still in my mom's attic! Those pictures are absolutely adorable. What a great vision you had. You need to do some birthday craft tutorials (after this is all over and you can breath again, of course). I'd love to know how to make cute homemade kid party stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bahaha! I'm glad you made it out okay. Alive and all.

    And I love the photo op idea. It's really quite fantastic, and creative. I love it.

    I used to have all kinds of good ideas like that...and then four pregnancies sucked the brain out of my head. Now I just sit around staring at walls.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the highchair make over ~so much fun turning something old and drab... into something ALIVE and WOW!!! And your pictures...let me just say WOW, ADORABLE and BEAUTIFUL!!! Can't believe little miss Eme is turning 1!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE your photography!! That yellow is amazing and just brightened my day! Oh and how I wish my leg rolls and tummy were as cute as that! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't get over how wonderful these photos are. They look like a baby magazine. That little girl should be in commercials!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's such a great photo op! Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I adore this. You outdid yourself, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is awesome. what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Adorable. I love that smile, too! She knows she's cute!

    I love love love the balloons! I had a vision as well and couldn't even get my little man to look at the camera due to the regular sized balloon he was holding. Had I brought in the huge ones...well, I'm not sure what he would have done!

    ReplyDelete
  31. awesome pictures! Now you are making me want to go do this with Morgan very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. love this pictures! Out of curiousity, how did you misspell to find that high chair?? So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Could you tell me what kind of camera you use? And where oh where did you get that party hat?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have a question about the balloons - how much helium did you have to use to blow them up? I love the idea, but have heard so many stories that they didn't work like people had hoped. Were they any special kind of balloon, like Qualatex? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm wondering if you have installed a safety belt at all? I have one I love and am refinishing, but alas not seat belt. Any ideas on how to install one? Thanks in advance! Courtney

    courtneybpage@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...