Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Very random post vacation thoughts.

Now that I'm home from vacation, I don't mind telling you exactly where we were last week. Obviously, on vacation. The beach. But, where? 

We were in the Outer Banks, North Carolina. Specifically, in the little quaint town of Avon. It was an adorable little place down the strip, on a skinny little piece of land where you can see water in both directions when standing in the middle. 

See what I mean? We stayed right there at the pin-drop. 


Pretty fabulous, and? Pretty scary looking when seeing it on the map. Which is why I had to not let myself look at this image until after I got home. Why things like seeing this weird me out is beyond me. But the idea of it is slightly terrifying for me.

Good thing we weren't there in hurricane season. 

**

We moved to a different house after day one (Long story...but, the basic gist? The original house was recently foreclosed on. The realty company didn't realize the slew of issues that came along with it. They felt we needed to be compensated in some way. So they offered us a bigger, better house, with a heated pool at no cost. We moved 13 people in under 3 hours on Monday, and it was totally worth it.), and Declan and I got the master bedroom. Which was awesome. We needed a room with a big enough bathroom to put the pack-n-play in for Emeline.

There was a huge window in the bathroom, though. So our solution to make it darker in there was to run to the hardware store, buy some brown butcher-like paper (it was actually a drop cloth), and tape it up over the window. Holy darkness batman. That thing worked like a charm.

She slept anywhere from 11-13 hours straight a night there. In fact? She slept better there than at home. Little stinker.

Speaking of the bathroom, it had a whirlpool tub. So guess who took her baths in luxury at night? She loved it. But it was too big for us to just lean over and bathe her the way we do at home in our tiny normal sized tub.  So, it required one of us to get in with her. Family bath time on vacation? I say why not.

And yes, she drank straight from the faucet. Kids are weird.


**

Travel on the way down was horrendous in every way. In fact, it probably requires an entire post of it's own. But, we wised up and travel on the way home? So...much...better. An 8 hour road trip with a one year old probably isn't ranked up there in my list of Top 10 Favorite Things To Do. I know, you're shocked.

**

This was Eme's second time to the beach. Last year, she was only 6'ish weeks old, therefore? She did not touch the sand. So when we went to the beach for pictures this past week, we giddily set her in the sand for Her First Sand Experience, and she was less than pleased.

In fact? She was pisssssed.


Does it make me a bad mom that I laugh every time I look at this picture? Don't answer that.

**

And I think this trip gets the record for how many family pictures I got. Check another one off the list. I should never complain about having family picture, like, ever.

Photo courtesy of my SIL, Lyryn.
**

And in case you were wondering who I went on vacation with. Here's the whole gang. 
[Declan's side of the family]


Not a bad looking group, I'd say. But of course I'm bias.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I still have about eleventy billion bags to unpack. Yes, I realize I've been home for two days. At least the laundry is done, give me a break.

Happy Monday!

36 comments:

  1. hahaha her sand face is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I love the outer banks! 16 of us are making the long journey {I live in dallas a good 24 hour drive!} there on july 4th and I can't wait!!! My daughter hated sand her first visit too :) Looks like you guys had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the outer banks. One of my most favorite places ever. Spent a glorious week in Duck a few summers ago. and many summer weeks there growing up! Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful family!
    And you lovely are just gorgeous!

    It's now coming into winter over here, I am so jealous of the beautiful beach weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I have been there! This excites me!! (As a non-American!) I visited a friend in Greenville on my roadtrip last summer, and we took a little daytrip to the Outer Banks. It's so gorgeous out there! Unbelievable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, that sand pic is hilarious! Def. doesn't make you a bad mom at all:o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a tiny, sliver of an island! The pic you tweeted of the GPS when y'all were in that tunnel, UNDER WATER, is enough to freak me out! Eep! Emeline's bathtub pics are pretty much the best thing ever, always so cute :) We put Cooper in the sand this weekend (in a sandbox). He was mildly interested, then he put it in his mouth. HUGE meltdown. Giant. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been over 10 years since I went to OBX and from what I remember it was such a nice, laid back place. That family picture is def frame worthy! And Eme in the sand is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um so that sand picture is HILARIOUS. You know she's thinking, 'What the heck is wrong with the ground, and WHY would you put me down on it?'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it - and is this a new design? It's beautiful, btw. So glad you guys had a blast. I couldn't stop laughing at the beach pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like so much fun!!!

    I love seeing babies' reactions to sand. Living in Florida, we have a lot of it and it's always funny to see what they're going to do, lol.

    I love the two family pictures!!! They need to go on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We go to the OBX every year in August (Duck, Corolla -- north of you guys) and love it so much.

    Great pics of the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always wanted to go to the Outer Banks. I did not realize that it was so "out" there. LOL!

    I have to say, you look beautiful in the picture of you and your husband and cutie pie daughter. You can tell you have lost weight and you look great! Your complexion is awesome and your make up looks good too. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG that picture is hilarious! This was how I expected Ethan to react but he loved it...must be a boy thing. I myself...not a lover of sand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katie, you're hair is getting long. It looks great. Have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First, the sand face is awesome! Second, I'm dying to hear about the car trip--we have a few long car rides ahead of us and I am DREADING them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AWesome, awesome sand face! I chuckled so I'm sure you get lots of good laughs over that one.
    Looks like you had a great week and I'd say you guys lucked out with the house sitch. Beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That string of islands in NC are my favorite! I'd love to get my family to Nags Head because it's my favorite place on Earth (so far. lol). Love all the pics, looks like everyone (except Emeline in the sand) had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVe Love Love! The sand photo! :)
    *And I used to drink out of the faucet all of the time... I did it just last night... ;)

    I have ALWAYS wanted to go to the Outer Banks... we used to live in NC, and I have no idea why we never went! *sigh*
    Hooray for a free upgrade! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Her face in the sand picture is priceless!! Love it! The outer banks is great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love the bath pics. the sand picture is PRICELESS, I think my daughter made the same face when we put her in the sand for the 1st time. The family picture of the 3 of you is beautiful! Glad to hear that you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorite family vacation ever was in the outer banks!! Jon and I look forward to the day we can take our family on vacation there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad to hear y'all enjoyed your vacation! The photos of Emeline are adorable as always. Love her drinking from the faucet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hated the sand when I was that age too. It's just weird! Love the family picture - that needs to be framed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG, seriously?? We could've met IRL! Next year maybe? I mean, I'm close to Charlotte, so it's not like I'm RIGHT there... but alot closer to the Outer Banks than to PA. Or wherever you are up north. I love the Outer Banks. So gorgeous.
    That face of Eme's in the sand? Hahahaha. At least she didn't spend the whole time trying to eat it. Noah pooped sand for days last year.
    Those bath pictures are so stinkin cute.
    Glad you had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dude, my first thought when I saw that map was, EEEK! Scary!

    You are soo not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such great memories. How fitting for a baby girl to enjoy a luxury tub right?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The sand picture is priceless. My daughter's first trip to the beach will be in August, when she is just shy of 8 months. I cannot wait to see what happens when she meets the sand! Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh gosh, that map does look scary! I wouldn't be able to look at it before (or during) vaca either. Looks like you guys had a terrific time! E in the sand is so funny. I love her expression.

    We are headed to that area in the Fall. I hope it's just as beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love that pic of the 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love her face in the sand picture, hilarious and priceless!!! Cute family picture, you look amazing (the baby and the husband aren't bad either)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That pic of the black faucets with her all white and light? Love. So arty.

    See on that map, where Morehead City is? And then where Ocracoke is? I sailed from Morehead City to Ocracoke, once. In a measly 18 foot catamaran, in a STORM. I grew up on the beach, so I love the ocean, but that was scary. High school me was so stupid.

    Also. How many siblings does Declan have? I was trying to figure out from the pic if it's one brother and two sisters, or another combo?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds great and love all the pictures, as always, but the one where she hates the sand...priceless and it needs to be framed :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am your flip flop swap buddy stopping by. What a great vacation! I just love the picture of her touching the sand. That's one for her future wedding slide show! ;) Can't wait to learn all about you and pick out a awesome pair of flip flops!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh good gravy I love that picture of her in the sand! :) Look like you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am literally counting down the minutes until I get to go to the beach, and this post made it even worse! Looks like y'all had a fabulous, wonderful, memorable time...her sand face is the funniest thing ever. I don't think she could be any cuter, honestly.

    And my gosh, girl. You in that picture of the whole fam...you look INCREDIBLE! So gorgeous. I am so proud of you!

    Thanks for my sweet comment on my post...No, I'm not losing steadily anymore, which I somewhat wish I was. I'm into the maintenance phase now, and so far it hasn't been too terribly hard to do. But really, I'm hoping to get back into the diet/workout kick hardcore and lose another 10 lbs or so. Ahh, diets. The never-ending struggle. :)

    Happy Monday, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete