Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Some random confessions.

I am not a morning person. In fact, I'm borderline-mommy zombie'ish. I can hardly function, especially without my coffee.

Most mornings, through groggy, sleepy eyes, I will fix her a beautiful, gourmet breakfast, with assortments of fresh fruits and all--while for myself? I can barely manage to pour my coffee. True story. Because my insides are crying to just sit down, at the kitchen table, with my coffee and laptop. 

I try not to do too much (especially in the form of going out) until after Eme's 1st naptime. By then? I'm awake, have had coffee, and typically a coke zero, so I'm set to go.

---

I have an internal freak-out when I think I left the house without my cell phone. In fact, about 3-4x a week I will have Declan call my phone so I can run around the house and find it before we leave.

However, I never have the ringer turned on. But I can hear the cell phone buzz in any room of the house, no joke.

The sad thing is? That 9 times out of 10, my phone is in my BACK POCKET, or deep in the abyss of my diaper bag, in my hand. 

So whenever I do my panicfreakout about my missing cell phone? My dear, sweet, husband--rolls his eyes

I'm a little forgetful, so what?

---

Recently, Emeline found her bumbo seat which was thrown behind the couch in storage. She hasn't sat in the thing for more than six months. But? Suddenly? She thinks it's the coolest thing ever. 

Which, is great for me because if she's sitting in the bumbo, cuddling either her mickey mouse, baby doll, or her pammy the penguin, she will sit still and watch an entire 24 minute episode of some dumb awesome kiddie show. 

And while I am not a tv-pusher, nor do I advocate hours of tv for your toddler---dude, that little bit of time is pretty useful for a momma to get something productive done like, blog.

---

I severely miss my TV shows in the summer. I sometimes talk about the characters as if they're real. You know, like Leslie & Ben from Parks and Recreation. Oh, how I miss their office romance. 

Okay, so I'm weird. But, I do miss my regular programming in a pathetic way.

---

We often put off things around the house and say, "We'll do it this weekend!"

We have high hopes. 

But, barbeques, family time, festivals, ice cream, deck-time, and wagon rides all outweigh to-do lists in the summer. Hence, nothing seems to get done, and I'm kind of okay with that.

---

I hate to read books. I'll read other things...magazines, blogs, you know. But, books? I can't. I never finish them. The task of reading a book daunts me. I'm fearful I'll pass this onto my kid and I can't live with myself if I do.

We started reading her Bible Bedtime Stories book before bed. She LOVES it, and so do I. She will snuggle in, rest her head on your chest, and pay attention to every word you say. She points to the pictures and talks to the book, it's freaking adorable. Prior to this? She had no interest in books. So it worried me. 

I think we may be all good on the book-front, now. 

---

I have major 1st time parent syndrome. When Eme does something that simply amazes me (but I'm sure is totally normal and right on track), I wanna be all, ohmygosh my kid is so smart! And? I even call Declan at work sometimes to share with him. 

Yea, I'm that mom.

28 comments:

  1. I MISS MY SHOWS TOO!!! And don't judge, but a few times I've even had dreams involving characters. Specifically Bones and Booth from Bones. I get emotionally attached to TV characters....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my shows aswell! Good thing SYTYCD is on. I too hate the mornings, do not talk to me unless I've been up for 20 minutes or I might bite your head off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We gots mayjah FTPS, as well. I'm always calling, texting, and sending phone pics to the Huz anytime Kitty dos ANYTHING. I say, enjoy it! It's a season we only get once :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time parent syndrome? Sign me up. You know better than anyone else that I gots it baddddddddddd. OMG She clapped! OMG she laughed! OMG she looked at the dog!

    And the weekend thing? SO bad at that. We'll do it on the weekend. And then the weekend comes? AND THERE IS TOO MUCH TO DO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time parent syndrome? Sign me up. You know better than anyone else that I gots it baddddddddddd. OMG She clapped! OMG she laughed! OMG she looked at the dog!

    And the weekend thing? SO bad at that. We'll do it on the weekend. And then the weekend comes? AND THERE IS TOO MUCH TO DO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha. Oh man, I could've written this. Mommy-zombie? Total me. I even trained my kid to sleep until 9:30-10. :) Cell phone issues? Me. Usually buried in a couch. As I'm commenting, Noah is watching Curious George. Summer tv? Blah. I'm reeeeally missing my regular shows. Weekend chores? I wish. Sometimes they get done, but more often than not, we end up doing something fun instead. I actually like reading, but I'm picky about what it is. I generally like mindless girly junk (Shopaholic type books). If I'd watch it on tv? Then I figure I'm cool with reading it. And the 1st time parent thing?? I admit it. I call Brad and I'm all, "Guess what he just did!!" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Confessions... you sound totally like me! Except I don't have any problems with the morning thing unless we have had a bad night! The weekend thing... we are the same way. Who wants to do all that work around the house when this is the only time we are all together? Family time, BBQs and togetherness should always outweigh work around the house in my book! :) And to make you feel even better, I am the same way with my 1 1/2 year old!We think everything she does is amazing... and to be truthful it is! Be proud of your smart little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can totally relate to this whole post!!! first time parent syndrome, got it bad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss our TV shows too--snuggling on the couch with Justin to watch Bones? Often the HIGHLIGHT of my week. However, we also really like The Closer, which runs during the summer, so YAY for that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVEEEEEEEEEE Parks and Recs...great show and beyond funny.

    I think we are all that mom...lol...I remember being off for the first year of mat. leave and calling every day or texting pictures of the littlest things. Proud mammas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ethan just found his Bumbo too and loves it. The funny thing was he HATED it as an infant. Go figure, at least it's getting some use now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with you on the summer TV stuff! It stinks! I'm just biding my time till Big Brother starts! But it is kinda nice to not have anything on b/c it forces you to do other things. Oh and I totally talk about stars like they are people. In fact, when J & I first met I said "Ashlee & Pete got married!!" and he was all, "are these friends of yours?", ugh "NO Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz!!!!" hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do the cell phone panic too! I left my phone in a Walmart shopping cart once. Thankfully like an hour later it was returned to Customer Service. That hour of my life sucked pretty bad. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, morning person, so not me and I so wish I was. How do those people wake up so chipper and a peppy? No mater what time I wake up I'm still not happy about it.

    The book thing, same here. I don't like to read(and I'm a teacher shh...) My child doesn't either, I do worry about not reading to her. She would much rather chew on the pages than sit and listen, but she is only 8 months old maybe it will click with her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so not a morning person either, and I hate that I'm going to have to wake up around 5:30 am for work pretty soon. Ugh!
    And the cellphone thing? Oh my gosh, I lose that sucker about 10 times everyday. No joke. And also my car keys. It's pretty pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate mornings with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

    The only saving grace I have in the TV dept during the summer is "So You Think You Can Dance" and "Big Brother." I'm obsessed with those shows...... and, since SYTYCD is on twice a week and BB is on three times a week, I have some TV coverage until my shows start up again.


    You're an awesome mom! I get excited about kids that aren't even mine and the brilliant things they do. I'm going to be a NIGHTMARE when I actually have my own kids, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I HATE mornings without coffee. Confession: My daughter watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I get to eat breakfast and drink coffee uninterrupted. Sometimes, she'll watch Dora also so I can just wash my face and brush my teeth in silence...ahh the joys of mommyhood

    ReplyDelete
  18. Be that mom and enjoy it :D She is that smart, and the joy deserves to be shared!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm bad about misplacing my cell phone too but it drives my husband crazy when I ask him to call my phone because he doesn't think it should be lost in the first place! I use http://www.wheresmycellphone.com/ almost every day. You just type in your number and it calls your phone. Hopefully they're not putting my number in some telemarketing database or something, but they say they don't and I've been using it for a year with no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am SOOO not a morning person!

    I'm just like that about my cell! I often leave it & then have to turn around to get it. If i'm halfway to work, i can't turn around & that is NOT COOL! But usually? It's in my purse or my pocket. :)

    I'm glad she's liking the books! Reading is fun! Really!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I miss Ben & Leslie too! My favorite TV couple!

    I'm a little sad for you that you don't like to read books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am soo that mom too! I find myself saying all the time "I really think he is a genius" to Todd :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. A weekend? What's that? I haven't seen one of those since high school! When it comes to days off, hopefully we have two a week (with Ken) and I always try to use one for relaxing and one for productivity. This doesn't always work out, but that's our weekend. You know I'm a little bit crazy about cleaning already.

    I hope the excitement over "firsts" and new tricks never fizzles. No matter how many babies I have. So, call me That Mom too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We are so alike. I also am not a morning person. I'm a big time night person which is why I'm still awake at 11:30 and wired. But I'll be a zombie with a coffee cup in the am. And we also don't go anywhere until after that first naptime. Because that's when I bathe. Yep.

    Same exact thing on the cell phone. And keys. It makes my husband crazy.

    Maybe I need to pick up that Bible. I'm seriously not a fan of how much my kid seems to hate books!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have to have the coffee in the a.m. too. I would SO sleep until 10 every morning if I could!

    And I've just started to read books again myself. There's just SO many good ones out there!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh. Mornings kill me. I recently discovered that I could load up a snack trap with some multigrain cheerios and fill a sippy of water to keep by my bed. I bring Monroe in for a snuggle and a snack and I can snooze a few more minutes. We're in heaven. And, I totally do the regular phone freak out. Thank gosh for good ears because mine is always on silent too. Our porch has also been half finished for two weeks. What happened? The pool opened! I think we'll cherish those memories more than our patio pavers, don't you ;) BTW-Just saw those adorable spaghetti picks. The little top tooth is the cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Alexa took a while to find an interest in books. I'm a reader so this saddened me. She wouldn't let me read to her AT ALL until she was past her first birthday. Before then it was all picture books and ones with "texture" pages. We hid the good ones since she was a defacer. Now she loves it, and the most recent interest came about because I started taking her to the library. She's a big fan, and our branch is pretty amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I could have written so many of the same things in your post. I hate mornings, hate reading books. I even lose the cell phone only to find that I have it with me. So glad to know Im not the only mom that does that!

    ReplyDelete