Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chalk for my art teacher heart.

Even though I resigned from my technical career as an art teacher, it'll always be within me. I love, love, love to create with kids. I mean, let's admit it---it takes an odd special person to want to paint with classroom full of 1st graders. Hello? MESS.

Although I did let the mess and stress of it get to me at times, I still really liked it. Mainly though? Seeing kids just come alive when they could "make" something so beautiful, or unique, or whatever. It was so...nice. In the midst of stressful school days I liked that they could come to my classroom and let their imagine run wild. It's such a good outlet for them.

Anyway. Tangent like whoa. 

I was at the craft store the other day and decided to pick up some sidewalk chalk. I mean, it seems like we're getting to the point where I can start inserting some of these fun activities into our day, so I decided to try it. 

Actually, we decided to draw on our deck instead of the driveway and it still worked. It was definitely a bright spot in my day seeing my girl make some of her first marks on the world. You know, I've done all the schooling, the research, I know all about the stages of childrens development as related to art and abilities--but still. It was way cooler playing with my own daughter...you know, making art.


Even Mac joined in.

She lost a shoe in the process. Chalking the deck is rough, yo.


I welcome many more artful, mess-making experiences with open arms. 

***

Happy Wednesday!


18 comments:

  1. I LOVE that her little baby toe falls off the side of her shoe - baby tootsles are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! And couldn't agree more...there is no better feeling (especially as an art teacher) then seeing your child create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such cute pictures! we bought sidewalk chalk at the beginning of the summer and E loves it! our driveway has rocked her masterpieces this year and i love that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! And what a great idea to use your deck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like she had a blast! love drawing in chalk with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So adorable! Looks like she may be just as creative as her mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just so cute I cant get over them. Love the bright colors and E looks like she is having so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!!! Chalk is so cool, and fun, and colorful!!! :D :D :D

    Trey loves to "chalk" as he calls it! Must buy some soon and let Jacksy experience w/ it as well!!! :)

    PS: Did she try to eat it??? :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love this!
    We tried chalk the other day. Straight to the mouth. Multiple times!

    We'll have to try again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Katie,

    My name is Laura and I am new to your blog. I am a mommy from North Carolina to a 2 year old son, Ryder, and due this September with a daughter, Brynley. You have such a cute family and of course I fell in love with your blog when I saw your love for yorkies, considering my first baby was my yorkie, Tucker.

    Such cute pictures and I love the chalk art!

    Laura
    laurasblondemoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. those pants she's wearing are ridiculously cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Check out play at home mom's facebook page and blog. I just found it a few weeks ago and love it. I think u will too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just make sure to get her one of those little art aprons. She'll look so cute and protect her clothes. Can you tell I learned that lesson the hard way?

    Glad you both had fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. So fun! I can't wait to be able to do this as (my) Declan gets older. One thing I did do with him (which was actually pretty disgusting) when he was about 6 months old was write on a piece of computer paper "HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE TEDDY". I taped it to his highchair and he finger painted it with left over baby food from the fridge. The peas were green, the sweet potato was orange, the prunes were purple.... and he was a MESS hahaha :)

    Looks like she had a great time and refrained from eating the chalk. Way to go mama!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the picture of the chalk on her feet. She got into it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like fun. I love creating art with my nephew and soon enough I'll be back in my classroom creating away with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my! I am SO the same way and it drives D CRAZY. Making a mess with Little O is worth having to clean it up! Encouraging creativity and imagination is so very important! Have some summer fun!

    ReplyDelete