Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The eventful end to our Independence Day.

I haven't seen fireworks legitimately in two years. I'll give you a few minutes to ponder on that one and the reason. Oh, wait-you don't need a minute?

Yea. The answer is easy. I've had a baby with me the last two years. While I'm all for trekking out with a kid even after bedtime to make a memory, it just seems it hasn't been in the cards for us.

See, this year on the 4th, we woke up to a sick kid. In the summer? A sick kid is NO fun. In the winter? You kind of expect it, but it still sucks.

She seemed hot, feverish, her nose was a faucet, and the sneezing. Oh, the sneezing. Poor kid had definitely gotten something. So, although hesitantly, we decided to forego our favorite church picnic and stay at home with Emeline instead. I had my sister-in-law come pick up the goodies I made and she took them along for me. 

Honestly? A few hours later she seemed a little better and we were going stir-crazy in the house. We stopped by the picnic for about an hour, just to get out for a bit. This is where I probably lacked some mom-judgement. It was probably too much for her. It was hot, and because she has such good temperment (even when sick mostly), she just wanted to run and play. We came home, ate dinner, got her ready for bed. She was ex-haus-ted. I had a feeling it was going to be a long night.

Before putting her into bed, we decided to give her a nebulizer treatment of albuterol. Whenever these viruses creep up, she deals with the inflammation issue, and now that I'm a proud (ha) owner of a nebulizer to use at our disposal, it comes in handy. She went to bed (at 6 freaking 30pm) without much of a problem. She woke up only an hour later, sad and obviously feeling like crap--so we brought her down and she snuggled up with her daddy and watched some baseball. A little later, she was right back to bed again.

An hour and a half later chills were sent up my spine when she woke up screaming. The scariest, shrill, gasping-for-breath scream I had ever heard. I ran up the stairs, scooped her out of her crib and could feel and hear a loud, seal-like wheezing going on. She was crying because the lack of being able to breathe easily naturally scared the crap out of her. But it was only perpetuating the gasping-for-breath thing. An evil cycle.

I was legitimately scared. We tried to calm her down, rub her back, give her water, and just get her to realize she needed to relax in order to take deeper breaths. It didn't seem to get better fast enough for me, and I just felt like an ER trip may be in order. I honestly couldn't even imagine putting her back in that crib, knowing that she was having trouble getting a good breath. We gave her another neb treatment.

I sent a text to my friend who has dealt with this with her kids, and also (as per my husbands suggestion) asked my twitter friends for advice. Within seconds lots of tweets from other moms who had experience with this same kind of thing came flying in. An overwhelming amount said, Just go. You can't be too safe when it comes to your kid. Some people who had no advice just told me they were praying and thinking of us. Honest to God, I love twitter. No one judges you when you have legitimate mom questions, and at the drop of a hat you can get first hand advice. Dr. Google doesn't even exist anymore in my world.

Within a few minutes, we were off to our local ER, which honestly? I was a little freaked at the thought. In my head, it felt like all I've ever heard were horror stories about this particular one, and that we'd be there hours upon hours, getting shuffled by and overlooked. 

That wasn't the case. At all.

They took insanely good care of us. I'm sure that had to do with the fact we were dealing with an almost 14 month old-making us a little higher on the priority list. Thankfully, despite it being July 4th late evening (almost 11pm by this time), we weren't sitting amongst firework-burn-victims or anything. Shocking, I know.

The triage nurse was awesome. Enthralled in fact to be dealing with such a sweet little girl (seriously, despite feeling like crap & it being 11pm, she was in the happiest of moods). She talked in silly voices, distracted her when need-be, and treated us kindly. Emeline got admitted, and when we were told to wait for the doctor, I sighed and looked at my husband saying This could be a looong night. I even turned on the TV thinking that reruns of Cake Boss would help pass the time.

Literally, within seconds the doctor and a new nurse came in, all smiles, and happy to help. It was really nice to feel like we were being taken care of so fast and efficiently. They listened to me and my momma worries, acknowledged that bringing her in was the best thing, and commented on how she won the award for cutest-patient-all-day. I agree, she was pretty stinkin' adorable.

[She looks pretty sad in this picture, but honestly? She was mostly smiles by the time we were at the hospital. She just made herself look extra pathetic for the photo.]
[And yes I would like to document her first ER trip. So sue me.]

They came to the conclusion that basically we were dealing with a virus and upper respiratory inflammation, and they told me that doing the nebulizer from home was a good choice and we did everything right. They gave her a steroid though that would help even more so with the inflammation causing the wheezing/inability to breathe freely, and we left with a prescription for a few more days of this. 

Most of all? We left with peace of mind. 

We continued to have a rough night, but that was to be expected. And like I always say, at least there's coffee in the morning. 

I learned a few things from this whole ordeal. 1) I don't care about looking like a fool or whatever, I'm not going to take chances when it comes to my kids health, especially if I'm feeling that internal nudging. 2) The ER isn't a bad place. That was completely in my head and I left feeling a sense of relief and a lot of respect for people who do their job and do it well.

So, we didn't get to see fireworks on the 4th of July, but we did get an unexpected hospital bracelet.


***



31 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that it was nothing serious. I hope she starts feeling much better soon. Mommy instinct is a very powerful thing--always trust yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing! I agree with Tryna, the mother's instinct becomes your best friend. You're always better safe than sorry with your little ones. I hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor sweet girl!! I'm glad that you went on to the ER just to be safe. Glad it was a good experience for you guys! Hope she is feeling 100% very soon! Good job, mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie -

    I, too, can relate to the scary moments of watching your child not being able to breathe correctly. You did a GREAT thing by taking Eme to the ER. Glad things worked out for the better.

    Try to sleep some. You rock as a first-time mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It shouldn't come as a big surprise that a couple of times, we've graced the ER unnecessarily with L. But the other times that it ended up being a good choice makes up for them. Especially with breathing issues, it's better to be safe than sorry. Hope she tolerates the 'roids ok...they make me feel like I'm crawling out of my skin. They are great when you need them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet baby has such a good mommy.

    I'm glad everything is ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my unexpected ER visits are never welcome but I have had them with my 3 kids before. Never on a holiday though. I'm always reassured by being there though and getting the help that we need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad everything turned out well and so glad your ER experience was a good one! The first (and only so far) time I've taken Lidia to the ER, I sat in the waiting room for 4 HOURS and when I got up to leave, they said she probably wouldn't have been seen for at least another 2... really? You couldn't have just said that to begin with? Crazy. And she ended up having a seriously high white blood cell count and having to go to the hospital every day for the next 3 days... so yeahhh I'm glad your hospital is courteous... maybe I should move just for that fact?! :) hehe jk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor baby! (And mama!) I hope she's feeling better soon!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our little Charlie (7 months) has been dealing with upper respiratory/virus issues since we put himi into daycare four months ago. I can totally relate to what you were feeling! The neb will work wonders (especially at bedtime) until those steroids kick in! It's so scary to see those little ones struggling to breathe!! You did the righ thing Momma!!!

    P.S. Emeline is sooooo adorable! I'm a avid follower of your blog and I have to say, you are an AMAZING writer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww poor thing. Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious. hope she feels better soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwwww, poor girl...I sure hope she is feeling better. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad she's okay! Definitely an eventful 4th! You were so smart to trust those momma instincts. Hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh poor thing!! I hope she's feeling better now!! how not fun for a 4th of July!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor baby! She does look pretty pitiful there. Hope she's feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My little man had bronchitis twice in 1 month before he turned one, so we got a nebulizer sent home with us then. Asthma runs in his Dad's side of the family too.

    My son has also had croup a couple of times. The seal bark like cough, wheezing and high fever. It's scary when that happens. His doctor suggested to put him in a steamy bathroom for 10 minutes, or outside if it's cold, but wrap him up so he doesn't get cold. Both are suppose to help with wheezing.

    I feel like I have been going on and on about this. But I hope my information will help in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes going to the doctor just reassures you. I'm glad she's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry she was sick, you're right, that's just no fun. I'm glad she's alright and that you had a decent ER experience. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor baby E!!

    How scary for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How scary! I was scared shocked when I read on twitter what happened, glad you felt the prayers loads of us were saying! hope the little girl gets better (if she isn't)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How scary!!! I'm glad your ER trip went better than expected!
    We had to do nebulizer treatments before.. no fun! I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Poor baby! I hope she is feeling better! That is super scary and honestly, you now have me thinking that I better figure out where we are actually suppose to go in a case like this! what a scary night, but glad all seems to be getting taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We had our first ER visit when Zoe was 6 wks old...it was haaaaaard. So glad your experience was pleasant. I saw from Twitter that you were up all night. Hope little Eme is feeling better and you were able to catch up on sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad Eme is okay and that you had a good ER esperience. Hugs to Eme!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Get well soon little Eme! And hope mumma can get some rest soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are such a great Momma! Thanks for sharing to "inspire" (for lack of a better word) other parents in their sick baby struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aww, poor girl and poor mama. You definitely made the right call. I felt like such a crap mom yesterday because Monroe woke up crying at 3 am (not horribly, but THANK GOD we're not doing that regularly anymore, so it was unusual) I gave him a minute or two and he kept going. Since he was teething, I went to grab some ibuprofen to take in, but he stopped, so I didn't go in. He slept later than usual this morning and when I went to get him after he woke up, there was vomit all over his bed. He had thrown up for the first time ever. I felt horrible..that must have been so scary and he was all alone :(

    btw-I work in the ED on weekend nights and we love the little babies (although they break our hearts). I'd much rather rush to the side of a sweet sick baby than a drunk passed out on the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad she is okay and doing well.

    There is always next year for fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hate that you had to go through this, but so glad she's okay!! Way to follow your instinct Mama. So glad y'all didn't get stuck there all night.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Our kiddos really are on similar timelines. After I posted about my poor guy getting sick in his bed it got worse over the weekend and happened a few more times and then we added the big D to the mix. We had to take our little one to the ED on Saturday. It was awful. We had to hold him down so they could give him an IV. The nurse was a little snarky because, OF COURSE, he cried-a lot-and mama really had to work to keep her claws in.

    ReplyDelete