Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Motivation in a Lollipop.

You remember yesterday? When I said I felt like it'd been forever since I'd taken a picture? Well, my motivation came. And when it comes, it hits hard and it hits fast.

I'm one of those people who needs to act on said motivation right away to see it through. Call it what you will, but it's true.

So shortly after I posted that blog yesterday, I pinned an idea to my "Photography Inspiration" board on Pinterest. It was a little boy, in overalls, with an adorable whirly-pop. I thought, Genius. I'm so doing this. Then I thought, Crap, where do I get a whirly pop

I threw the question up on Twitter, where within a few minutes I had multiple responses all telling me that they'd recently seen them at Cracker Barrel. Perfect. 

When Eme woke up from her nap, I immediately put her in a pair of overalls. She got a pair from a friend for her 1st birthday. Honestly? I'm not a huge overalls fan, but Omigahhh they are so!cute! And so perfect for a shoot like this. So I was THRILLED that we owned a pair at that moment. Hence, making my inspired vision come to life. I fed my girl lunch, I threw her baby Ikea chair in the car, along with my camera and off we went. 

We pranced into Cracker Barrel, bought two pretty lollipops (one for good luck?) and popped back in the car within what felt like seconds. But now, I had to think. Where would we take the pictures? 

There's a park close by but I knew right away that would be a bad idea. 1) I cannot stand crowds around when I'm looking like a crazy-mom taking photos. I just feel...weird. 2) She would get totally distracted and want to play instead. 

So, I decided to sneak (okay, not exactly sneak) over to the restaurant next door that's now closed & abandoned (RIP Max-n-Ermas, we'll miss you), and I eyed-up the premises, being a little creepy-like. There seemed to be some grassy spots and there was no one around. Added bonus, there were no distractions for the girl. Perfect.

And perfect it was. You never even had to know these were taken in an old restaurant parking lot. Hey, I say, get creative with your locations anyway. Considering, well--this had NOTHING to do with the location, but all about the sweet subject (if I do say so myself). 

Anyway--I'm sure you're all Shutup already, Katie--show us. So yea--here they are.


"Mmmmmmm"


What? You're letting me lick this?

Yep. It fell on the ground. And Yep, I let her lick it after that. 
My favorite shot of the day.

So, a little sugary prop equals some sticky-fun-photographs.

To see the whole set on Flickr, Click here.
---

Happy Wednesday!

36 comments:

  1. Cute idea.

    I love the expression on her face. She looks a little in shock that you gave her a gigantic lollipop all to herself. Like she's trying to figure out what she did to get so lucky, so she can do it again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to pinch cheeks! Oh my gosh, how do you not eat up this kiddo!

    I have decided we need to live closer so you can photograph mine! :)

    Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good idea for photos!! I love her little curls, they're adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO CUTE! Oh, I died looking at these, I just can't stand the cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing! I can't over her adorable curls. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, these are so wonderful!! Eme looks so cute and I bet she loved that lollipop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her sweet little face!! She is a doll!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I cant believe just HOW curly her hair is now! It's turning into little ringlets! It probably looks so long when it's wet, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first full photo of her (so technically the third) is by far my favorite. Her tongue licking the lollipop on the side. Adorable. I love that you didn't "stage" this. You just allowed your little girl to have fun and have an insane amount of sugar so her Momma could get some fantastic photos!

    Now ... about that Loves of Life Photography business .... ?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awe these are ADORABLE! so cute! i can't believe you aren't an overall fan! i pink puffy heart them and eme looks oh so cute in them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You my friend are a photography GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so adorable kate... seriously... i mean eme is the easiest subject but you are super duper talented. come on sister! start doing this for other people and make some moolah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soooo cute! What a great idea! You are so creative girl! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are GREAT. Pretty sure you're close to being at the *P*hotographer status. Absolutely adorable. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are adorable. And I LOVE that you let her lick it after it fell on the ground. I'm not a real picky mom about that kind of stuff, unless it's really, really gross. She's just a beautiful little girl. Thank you for sharing her with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg those are so adorable! love the overalls and those curls. great job

    ReplyDelete
  17. O my goodness Katie! These look wonderful! I'm glad you found your inspration again :) hope your headache is totally gone now! Great shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. awe these turned out awesome!!! You have some real talent there girl. Of course with an adorable curly headed girlie like that you can't go wrong:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!! Such adorable pictures! Don't you love pintrest! I know I do!

    You are SO talented w/ the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO cute! And how perfect that today is National Lollipop Day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. She is absolutely adorable!! You are so very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable! I know you always say you don't claim to be a "P"hotographer, but you really do have a great eye for shots! I'd let you photograph my guy anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bahaha. I love that you let her lick it after it was on the ground. Totally something I would do. Such sweet pictures, LITERALLY! the curls, the green bow.. the overalls. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. adorable! her hair looks super blonde in a couple of those photos. and the curls!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Perfectly adorable. All of them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not usually an overall fan either, but sometimes they are just what the doctor, er, mommy, ordered. These are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love love love those pictures!

    The 5 second rule was totally in play here. =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous! I love the picture looking down on Emeline (in the 4th row). You've done a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm soooo behind on blogs. I wanted to come by and see how you're doing and I honestly can't believe how much Eme has changed in just the few short weeks I've been absent from the blog-world! Her hair got so thick and curly! Cutie-cute-cute.

    ReplyDelete
  30. that is an adorable idea I might just have to get Morgan to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's an awesome picture set! The overalls and the lolly are too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. so cute! her hair is getting so long and oh those curls!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Adorable!!!

    What type of camera do u have? And do u use photoshop?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Seriously! can you get anymore talented! I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!! CAN I COPY IT?!?!?!?!!?! Easton would SO go for this....sugar...SURE! I wanna do this THIS WEEKEND! SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete