Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hey-Irene. Are you done yet?

We're here, and doing fine. Somehow, in the midst of thousands upon thousands of power outages, our little townhouse development managed to keep power. We had it flick on and off, and even go off for a few hours in the middle of the night. But, we were able to have a hot breakfast this morning, and--coffee? Yea. That, too.

Oh thank heavens.

Meanwhile all my family is dealing with over 12 hours of power outages so far. I've offered up our house for showers/food/comfort, but so far, no one is out on the roads at all and I'm not even sure it's safe to drive with wind like this.

Overall, the storm here was less than we expected, but last night with the tornado warnings, I admit I got legitimately nervous. The weather lady came on, saying that there was a tornado heading right for our exact city at 10:59pm. I have never, in my life felt such a serious urgency. We don't live in an area with a lot of extreme weather (although this week? earthquake...hurricane...tornado? Umm. WHAT?) so I tend to air on the side of caution when these things happen near us.

I scooped Eme up from her cozy crib slumber and we went to the basement. We watched the news for a few more minutes and I just felt this sick feeling of nervousness. Honestly? I think a lot of that comes with this responsibility of taking care of someone other than yourself. Being a parent now just takes that to a whole new level.

We huddled in the basement, with some couch cushions & pillows, meanwhile trying to keep my family without power up to date on what the news was telling us. Thankfully the tornadoes took a turn and we didn't face any real issues with that. I just felt this nudging that it was better to be safe than sorry. So we did.

Today we're still dealing with some seriously strong winds and rain...and praying that as this storm keeps making its way up the coast that everyone stays safe. 

xoxo

20 comments:

  1. We live in an area that sees at least a dozen tornado warnings a year, and they ALWAYS make me nervous. Now that I have Ethan, they TERRIFY me, and I've dealt with it all my life. It's definitely a new feeling to be in a storm like that knowing that it's your job to protect that little one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and P.S. Glad you guys are ok! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you guys are safe and with power.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to hear that you guys are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you guys are ok! After I saw that tornado Twitter update I got so nervous for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to tornado warnings myself and unfortunately they seem to happen a lot here and I get terrified each and every time. I'm so glad that you guys are safe and have power. Hopefully the storm will end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking of you & your sweet family, and everyone on the East coast that is affected by Irene..I am glad to hear that you are safe and sound...You are so right, everything is taken up a notch when there are little ones involved..Take care and stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad ya'll are okay! Glad you have power too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you guys are ok. It is scarey to have weather like that especially when you aren't used to it and have a child. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always lean to the being safe verses sleeping through the tornado warnings. I hope this extreme weather is done for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad y'all are safe! Praying for everyone up there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear ya'll are okay and never lost power (and yay for coffee too)!

    I have been battling my own Irene as I wait to see if I am in labor or if it's all false labor. The nurse even blamed it on Irene and the "elements" in the air from the storm (I guess that could be a real cause of labor, like a full moon, but ReALLy?!)

    Laura
    laurasblondemoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you guys are safe and did not loose power that is the worst!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww you poor thing! Glad you're okay and that you didn't lose power. Up here in Maine we are still in the midst of it, but it has calmed down a lot and isn't too bad. Just about everywhere around us doesn't have power but so far (knock on wood) we have managed to keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you guys are safe!
    Hang in there!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you're okay!
    *We live in an area that has been getting hit by tornadoes lately.. and it IS extra scary when you have someone else to look out for! Terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad everyone is safe and okay! We didn't get too much here in MA, but there were lots of overturned trees and power outtages. Thankfully its over!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mother nature is on one! SO glad you are all safe =D

    ReplyDelete
  19. That really is WAY too many natural disasters for one week! Thank goodness your power stayed on!

    ReplyDelete