Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

A little DIY wreath action

This weekend while prepping for Miss. Irene, I got bit by the craft bug. When it happens, it happens. There's no denying it.

Lucky for me, I had an 18" straw wreath I bought over a month ago sitting in my living room, needing some desperate love and attention. 

I'd been eyeing up some yarn wreaths on Pinterest for a while, knowing I wanted to make something involving yarn-wrapping and then adding my own fabric & felt flowers. 

Well--here's what I ended up with. Please note: I am beyond bummed I don't have my nice camera to take photos with yet. These are iPhone pictures and they do NOT do it justice. 


Step 1: Get a wreath or whatever you want to use as a wreath (I know people are using flexible tubing now, too). Start wrapping with your favorite yarn. I had this in my closet from my old scarf-making days. I like it because it has different textures to it.

Step 2: Keep wrapping. It takes freakin' forever. Make sure not to leave gaps. 

Step 3: Admire the fact that you wrapped that about 2938203982 times and how nice it looks.

Step 4: Make fabric flowers/felt flowers*, add lace & whatever else you want to make areas of your wreath stand out. Lay things out before pinning down/or gluing down. *You can find tutorials all over the internet on flower making if you don't know how. 

Step 5: Use fabric, ribbon or lace as a way to hang. Step back and admire your good work. :)


I may have this intense urge to make wreaths for all over the house, and every time/season/holiday of the year now. 


Happy wreath making.

**Update**

Pictures with a nice camera. Woop!




28 comments:

  1. Wow that looks amazing. Must've taken forever to wrap the yarn but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, on your instagram pic I thought it was some sort of moss! now I am not looking forward to the yarn that I bought for my wreath...I bought 3 colors to alternate around it! I guess I better rent a movie to keep me occupied while wrapping that many times huh? Yours turned out adorable...I love how you used the lace fans for a different texture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I love the flowers and lace. Very shabby chic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cuuuute!! i love the lace- it just adds a little somethin' somethin' extra. t-minus how many days until the New Baby arrives? I thought it was supposed to come last week?! I can't even imagine. It must feel like you're missing a limb! Hope it arrives soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love this!!! I need something like this for fall! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! I've been pinning a whole bunch of DIY wreaths myself. Yours turned out great! Hope mine looks 1/2 as good! I'm not crafty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went through a felt wreath phase last year. Why do I always pick projects that are so repetitive? Looks great. I have been eying yarn wreaths for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the taking ages to wrap the yarn sounds like an AWESOME excuse to sit on my bum and watch a movie during nap time!

    This has been on my to-do list for awhile--I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks awesome! I made one as well not too long ago. It was so much fun and can't wait to do more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks great. I've been eyeing some wreaths on pinterest too. we're gonna be moving soon so I have a bunch of craft ideas for our new house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! But is that wrapping not a pain in the arse!? It took me 3 hours & approx 8 episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians to finish mine. Then I thought my hand would fall off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this! I've been wanting to create a wreath and this just makes me want to so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute. Love those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it - it turned out so good! I am so not creative so I would never be able to make it but I am sending the link to my BFF so she can make one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! I'm gonna have to go and check out your Pinterest for the ideas... I would love to make one of these for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. just started following you in pinterest! I'm menmynewlife

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute, perfect for fall I think. Speaking of how long wrapping takes... on of my old friends is an installation artist and she did this one project..

    http://kerryadamsart.com/inside_frameset.html

    I hope that is the correct link. Just imagine how long that took her. I don't get it, but some how this reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very very pretty! I love the chunky yarn you used!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  19. super cute!!!! I really like the texture of the yarn too! can you believe Anthropology was selling these for 140 dollars! can't wait to see what else they come up so us bloggers can make it on the cheap! great blog. love the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your wreath is adorable ~ I love it!

    I am hosting a new linky party on Wednesdays ~ FALL in Love With Your Home. I'd love for you to join in the fun.

    Have a very happy Labor day!

    ReplyDelete